Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:54 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I believe the "loophole" being looked at is that AT&T has an exclusive to sell the iPhone and iPhone3G/s models, but the new model will be called the iPhoneHD, hence officially a completely different model, which Verizion could sell without infringing on the original exclusive contract with AT&T. In other words, the wording may be that AT&T has an exclusive agreement to sell the iPhone models up to date, but not "all future versions" of it. At least that is what some of the legal rumors have indicated as to how they can get around it - and that in June the new AT&T model will be the one announce, with a POSSIBLE announcement that Verizion will get their own model in the Fall.

AT&T has just announced that people who get iPhones (or other Smart Phones) now who want to break their contracts will have to pay around $350 to do so - that's about twice what it has been. Some feel this is in response to upcoming news that Verizon will carry the new iPhoneHD, and it's to dissuade contract holders from switching to Verizion when they do.
Apple has opt out rights with their exclusivity deal with AT&T so they can sell the current IPhone to anyone but it would obviously have to be a CDMA model for Verizon. As for the early termination fees, most carriers are upping their rates for advanced devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:53 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
what is CDMA?

Old 05-23-2010, 02:15 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Everything I can find says 2012 as ATT has a exclusive till then, so it would take lots of legal wrangling and a huge payoff by Verizon to ATT to get iphone. Seems to me with Android Verizon doesn't need the iphone as thought months ago.

Know some techies that have both and they prefer Incredible over iphone so who knows?
Sure they like the incredible more, because they are comparing it to an old Iphone. The new one is not out yet.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
what is CDMA?
It's the signal or language that the carrier is broadcast on.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Do you remember what happened when Verizon released the Motorola/Google Android? Lots of advertising. The same would hold true for the IPhone. You'd probably see a special news report with Jobs shaking hands with the CEO of VZW but after that they'd be showing the, coming soon commercials.
There is absolutely no way on Earth that Verizon would be advertising an iPhone before Steve Jobs rolled it out himself. Zero chance.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
There is absolutely no way on Earth that Verizon would be advertising an iPhone before Steve Jobs rolled it out himself. Zero chance.
I don't think you are understanding. The way that the android was advertised in a mysterious way without revealing what the product was. For example, if they were releasing it September 1st it might be like a movie preview with the suspense building and at the end 'coming soon' or September 1. All without revealing what the item was. Then the day prior, a full commercial showing the agreement betweeen Apple and Verizon Wireless. I'm sure it will say something like the best phone on the best network. Trust me, this will be almost exactly how they roll it out.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think you are understanding. The way that the android was advertised in a mysterious way without revealing what the product was. For example, if they were releasing it September 1st it might be like a movie preview with the suspense building and at the end 'coming soon' or September 1. All without revealing what the item was. Then the day prior, a full commercial showing the agreement betweeen Apple and Verizon Wireless. I'm sure it will say something like the best phone on the best network. Trust me, this will be almost exactly how they roll it out.
I still say there's no way it will roll out like that. When have you ever known Steve Jobs to share the spotlight or let someone else steal even a little bit of his thunder? Everyone in America would see right through some "vague" reference to a new wonder-phone and that's not the way Apple operates.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I still say there's no way it will roll out like that. When have you ever known Steve Jobs to share the spotlight or let someone else steal even a little bit of his thunder? Everyone in America would see right through some "vague" reference to a new wonder-phone and that's not the way Apple operates.
Verizon doesn't push like AT&T and they try staying more low key in their commercials. When the time comes, you might here it on MSNBC first as to them coming to an agreement but remember Verizon originally shot down the IPhone because they didn't want to pay the kickbacks to Apple. Verizon stuck to their guns in previous negotiations.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
what is CDMA?
Code Division Multiple Access. It is the type of system some cellular carriers use. There is also GSM (Global System Mobile), TDMA (Time Divison Multiple Acess) Iden (exclusive to Motorola) and AMPS (Analog Mobile Phone Service- not really used anymore). If 2 carriers use the same system, you can use the phones from either carrier by either changing the SIM card (GSM) or by "flashing" (others). You can use a TMobile phone on ATT and vice versa. You can use a Metro PCS or Cricket phone on Verizon and vice versa.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Verizon doesn't push like AT&T and they try staying more low key in their commercials. When the time comes, you might here it on MSNBC first as to them coming to an agreement but remember Verizon originally shot down the IPhone because they didn't want to pay the kickbacks to Apple. Verizon stuck to their guns in previous negotiations.
Verizon and AT&T don't have anything to do with what I'm talking about. Apple will control the release of any new iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones