Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 PM

30 posts, read 60,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I love certain things about NYC but living here gives you the best of both worlds...live in an affordable place where you can actually have some $$ left over to enjoy living some and fly up to NYC when the fares are low and "do" the city over a long weekend. Career options are, of course, more plentiful in NYC but if you can line up work you like down here, the quality of life with regards to taxes, traffic, cost of living, etc... is just better here...right now at least. The thing is, you can always move, rent and "try it on" for a while. If you don't like it, you can move on........ Good luck!!
That is what I am looking for Quality of life and having some money left over..Just tired of being broke from rent, utilities, taxes..ugh enough already! Did you live in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:23 PM

30 posts, read 60,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVNCharleston View Post
In all honesty, you will find all kinds of people from all walks of life in Charleston. You'll have "princesses" as you call them, but you'll also have "hippies". I've lived in NY before and quite honestly will never go back. For me, it's a nice place to visit, but Charleston is home... feels like home... and the people will welcome you into their home (well, most of them, haha!).
That is awesome you are loving it so far How long have you been in Charleston? Yes, Im definitely not a princess, just a laid back low maintenance girl. Im fashionable, but not overly obnoxious. Get along with all walks of life I actually remember last time i visited most of the girls/women were suprisingly really friendly I too am just looking for somewhere that gives me a cozy feel with friendly people..I think nyc just feels like a big downtown..not cozy feel at all.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petal765 View Post
That is what I am looking for Quality of life and having some money left over..Just tired of being broke from rent, utilities, taxes..ugh enough already! Did you live in NYC?
Nope, I never lived there but I have spent lots of time (weeks at a time) over the last 20 years there for work. I have four good friends who live either in or around the city so I also visit. From my friends, I understand how much more expensive the taxes and general cost of living is. From my own experiences I understand how difficult and time consuming getting around in the city can be. And I was STUNNED at how much monthly parking alone is!!! Like I said in an earlier post, NYC is an amazing place to experience. The museums, FOOD!!!!, Broadway....heck, even the PAX grocery markets..... it is all so very different, interesting and exciting. Everone has to choose for themselves what makes them most happy. For me, I prefer the simple life with a plot of land to grow a garden, watching lightening bugs from my Southern front porch and being able to see the stars over the Carolina pines as opposed to a neon lit night sky. NYC is a 2 hour flight from Upstate SC so I can always get there from here

Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 AM

662 posts, read 1,410,785 times
I moved to SC from Connecticut 15 years ago and would never go back to those winters again! The people are generally much friendlier here than in NY and many places up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area