U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 AM

162 posts, read 401,441 times

Advertisements

We will be visting Charleston this summer. What would you suggest for a family with kids between 8-14 as far as what to see, & places to take them for dinner that all including mom & dad would enjoy. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:26 AM

144 posts, read 200,120 times
I've never been, but The Buccaneer has gotten some good reviews and is family friendly...

The Buccaneer - Restaurant Bar & Museum - Charleston, SC (http://www.thebuccaneerrestaurant.com/index.html - broken link)

reviews...
The Buccaneer - Charleston, SC
Buccaneer - Peninsular Charleston - Charleston | Urbanspoon

Old 06-15-2010, 12:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,567,065 times
I love the Buccaneer, great brunch on Sunday.....

Also the children's museum and the aquarium......

Get a fishing charter or get on one of the big boats and go deep sea fishing.....

Old 06-15-2010, 12:59 PM

4,233 posts, read 3,737,473 times
Got kids and have been to the Bucanner with and without the kids. Never disappointing......fun place for the family.

Try the eco tours -- here's a link
Charleston SC Boat Tours : Visit Isle of Palms for Charleston South Carolina Boat Tours

Charleston SC Boat Tours | Private Boat Charters | Charleston Nature Tours and Sunset Cruises with Sandlapper Tours

Morgan's Grill has two restaurants. The food is okay -- not great but not bad. upstairs is an open air bar, more casual, live music...great view of boats coming and going

Morgan Creek Grill, Waterfront Dining, Isle of Palms, SC - Morgan Creek Grill Home

We did the carriage tour with kids -- ranging in age from 4 to 14 -- and they liked it. The Fort, Patriot's Point..

My 13 year old loves being downtown Charleston. The market, the old buildings,

Folly Beach -- fun, fun, fun. I would suggest going earlier in the day -- the road jams up by noon. It's a great beach and has lots of fun places to eat.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,317,813 times
Children Museum is not all that great and might entertain the 8 year old for a short time. Perfect for toddlers but not the older kids.

Aquarium is fun, carriage ride, the market and walking on the battery, touring the Forts, Moultre and Sumter. My kids like Charleston Landing if it isn't too hot.

Hymans Seafood is good and Fleet Landing on the water is nice They are both downtown My kids also like Gilligans (there are several locations)

On Sullivans Island, if you do Fort Moultre or the lighthouse and beach, we like Poe's and the Home team BBQ place.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM

83 posts, read 135,371 times
There really is plenty to do for kids, especially in your age group. Check out this link that breaks it down quite easily for you:

Charleston For Kids: Things To Do For The Whole Family!

Also, on the same site, they list restaurants that are kid friendly:

Charleston Restaurants: The Best Places to Wine and Dine

I hope this helps! Have fun!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:30 AM

4,233 posts, read 3,737,473 times
Oh and let's not forget the best family vacation hot spot....the beach.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:54 PM

162 posts, read 401,441 times
Great suggestions, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area