Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:45 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm probably moving too far ahead with plans. But I'm hoping to pay a visit to the Charleston area next year (Charleston-to Myrtle Beach-to Savannah-to Miami, etc).

I want to know YOUR favorite rib place (pork in particular) in Charleston. I'm sure I'll get a plethora of opinions on this but that's okay. It can be a dive, for all I care ~ I just want to know of GOOD ones!

Thank you so much for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:01 PM

34 posts, read 97,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Okay, I'm probably moving too far ahead with plans. But I'm hoping to pay a visit to the Charleston area next year (Charleston-to Myrtle Beach-to Savannah-to Miami, etc).

I want to know YOUR favorite rib place (pork in particular) in Charleston. I'm sure I'll get a plethora of opinions on this but that's okay. It can be a dive, for all I care ~ I just want to know of GOOD ones!

Thank you so much for your input.
There's a rib place on Rivers Avenue in Charleston called Smokey Bones. Also try Melvins BBQ in Mt Pleasant and they have one West of the Ashley. I hope this helps. Stickey Fingers is not the best at all, so don't go there.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:23 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
any of the Bessingers... Melvins, Thomas, or Joe's... they're all brothers and cook using the same recipes and pits

Smokey Bones, "ok"

Browns buffet in Moncks Corner is pretty good too, I think ribs are on Thursdays... Music Man's in MC isn't too good though IMHO...

there's also, of all places, a chinese buffet place on Rivers Ave next to The Sports Authority that has ribs a couple of times a week that gives any of these BBQ places a run for their money

Old 06-16-2010, 06:03 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,197 times
I like ribs that fall off the bone. So Sticky Fingers, Smoky Bones, Melvins too chewy for me. I still prefer the chains Longhorn or Outbacks.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Well, this is quite an array of places. Very cool. And it's to know which ones to avoid, too. Thank you all for your valued input.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:47 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,956 times
Stickey fingers = worst excuse for BBQ ribs in america.

Smokey bones is another chain fiasco.

If you like mustard based sausces then the Bessingers places are ok. I think its nasty so they are not on my list.

Home team BBQ in west ashley is good at times but sometimes the ribs look like charcoal instead of ribs.

Best ribs I've eaten in Charleston and mind you I have tried most places more than once is the Heavenly Hawg on RIvers Ave. Family owned and cooked fresh daily. Great place and good prices also. And the hush puppies are to die for.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post

If you like mustard based sausces then the Bessingers places are ok. I think its nasty so they are not on my list.

Best ribs I've eaten in Charleston and mind you I have tried most places more than once is the Heavenly Hawg on RIvers Ave. Family owned and cooked fresh daily. Great place and good prices also. And the hush puppies are to die for.
Bessingers chopped pork is done with the mustard sauce, the ribs are actually done with their old red sauce that's more vinegar/ketchup based... and they are pitt cooked all night without any sauce, they add the sauce after they pull them off of the racks from the pitt...

I'm going to have to try that Heavenly Hog, saw the homemade sign in the window and heard good things about them!

Old 06-19-2010, 11:33 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,724 times
Where is the Heavenly Hog on Rivers?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:31 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
Is Heavenly Hawg across from the old Sam's? If so, I think it's the former Hickory Hawg which was on Johns Islandk and they had excellent food! It is owned by a very nice family, with good food and very clean work and dining areas. They left Johns Island a few months ago after a Mexican Restaurant moved in next door to them and took a lot of their business. They don't serve alcohol and the Mexican Restaurant did. They are very missed on Johns Island!!!

Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,724 times
So it's Hickory Hawg, not Heavenly Hawg. I knew the former had moved to Rivers, and that I had never heard of the latter. That explains it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area