U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 01:10 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,990,416 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how much character you gain by having skyscrapers like everyone else.
I agree with everything else in the post above this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 01:42 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,292,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
Charleston is very different from what I am used to. There are no high hrise towers, no typical "downtown". Miles and miles of tree lined roads, shopping areas that you can't see unless you take the service roads and distinct suburban communities that apprear only when you drive through the gates.
LOL, this is utterly hilarious!

You haven't even scratched the surface of Charleston, believe that.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:11 PM

153 posts, read 705,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I'm not sure how much character you gain by having skyscrapers like everyone else.
I agree with everything else in the post above this.
Thanks for the agreements. I guess for the skyscraper issue, it's not a matter of character, it's a matter of an identifiable skyline that gives the city its identity. Church steeples are part of its historic identity, but there needs to be distinct buildings that also depict the city's bright future. Boston and New Orleans come to mind.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:06 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,292,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't think the point was that skyscrapers will add to Charleston's charm, but that if they are properly placed, they will not detract from it.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 AM

2,501 posts, read 6,880,134 times
It is all a matter of opinion. My friends and family who come down to visit from the midwest have all commented on the beauty of our city and how nice it is "not to see those tall ugly buildings which dominate the sky in the bigger cities". It is what we are known for. I mean, from a distance you see: church steeples, the grace and beauty of the Arthur Ravenel Bridge, and the Ashley and Cooper Rivers. That's why people are constantly pulling their cars off the road (esp. on the bridges and connector) to take pictures of our downtown "skyline". It is beautiful. I for one, hope it stays that way. Let Atlanta, Boston, New York, and Chicago have their skyscrapers - I'll take tall church steeples anyday!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 AM

153 posts, read 705,606 times
^ OK, what about just building them in and around MUSC and the Neck? Like AK said, if tall buildings are placed correctly in Chas, you have the best of both worlds: modern and historic. And the modern won't detract from the historic.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:57 AM

2,501 posts, read 6,880,134 times
Hm-m-m-m...maybe down by the port or in N. Charleston.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 12,770 times
Thank you for the wonderful info. on Charleston. Can't wait to move there from Kansas (Kansas City metro area). I have visited Charleston once, in February. It was mild enough to go on wonderful historic walking tours, walk to restaurants and Market Street, etc. I loved the food and thought those I encountered were very welcoming and hospitable. That was from a tourist's viewpoint. If I moved in as a "Yankee" with no social connections or respected "blue blood" family name that connects me to the original founding fathers, will I receive a warm welcome? My family name, which I understand is very important to those who live in the South, particularly Charlestonians, would not be recognized nor, I presume, garner me any social advantages. I respect this aspect of the culture, if it still exists, and something tells me it does.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,368,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkkc View Post
Thank you for the wonderful info. on Charleston. Can't wait to move there from Kansas (Kansas City metro area). I have visited Charleston once, in February. It was mild enough to go on wonderful historic walking tours, walk to restaurants and Market Street, etc. I loved the food and thought those I encountered were very welcoming and hospitable. That was from a tourist's viewpoint. If I moved in as a "Yankee" with no social connections or respected "blue blood" family name that connects me to the original founding fathers, will I receive a warm welcome? My family name, which I understand is very important to those who live in the South, particularly Charlestonians, would not be recognized nor, I presume, garner me any social advantages. I respect this aspect of the culture, if it still exists, and something tells me it does.
I've only met 6 natives since ive been here a year and a half or so

Old 09-21-2013, 03:08 PM

10,647 posts, read 9,010,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkkc View Post
People don't go around asking your family name. That's something out of the movies. Besides, I doubt you'll move in the same circles as the old Charlestonian families. They're a bit of a closed society. Transplants seem to largely socialize with transplants and there's enough of them now that they don't seem lonely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
I've only met 6 natives since ive been here a year and a half or so
And I rarely meet people who aren't from here. I guess it speaks to the society within the society here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area