Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
pass it along to those who are unemployed or under-employed......
that makes a lot of sense.......
Corporate America is as corrupt as DC.
Not really, they are in business to make money for their stock holders, many of whom are those employed by the company, if the ate into their profits to pay taxes than they would be hurting those stock holders......

Many people with 401k, IRAs and other type of retirement accounts all rely on corporations making money, the more money they make the better their stock performs to the better your retirement account....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,996,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Corporations do not pay any taxes, they just pass them on to the customers or pay their employees less to compensate for higher corp. taxes....
Tom, that's just a talking point that's disproven by history.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
pass it along to those who are unemployed or under-employed......
that makes a lot of sense.......
Corporate America is as corrupt as DC.
Corporate America is DC.....

But the reality is if we can ever get politicians of all stripes (including Mr. Obama) from being controlled (via bribes) by our big business lobby, then the past shows we can again make corporations pay their fair share.

But first, we've got to become a democracy (note small 'd') again:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6674234/Ci...-Report-Part-1

Note: The report takes a while to load, but shows that Corporate America doesn't think we're a democracy anymore, but a 'plutonomy'.

Last edited by Geechie North; 07-26-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,303 times
Even though you don't believe in divorce, sometimes there is no option - if he doesn't care about contributing to the household now, he never will and will always use you as his ATM. This economy has hit everyone and it was like pulling teeth to get my hb to contribute to the household and I had panic attacks each month to make ends meet, meanwhile he sat around and acted like it was no big deal, well - it IS a big deal - marriage is about two people contributing to helping each other and alleviating as much stress for each other as possible - life is too short! If your husband saw the post you wrote I hope it would break his heart and he would be ashamed of himself. I left mine and although I make my own way doing what I love to do, he is still sitting around hoping someone else will take care of him - good riddance! You'll be much better off because you will have less stress by not worrying about his lazy butt that you are taking care of. He needs a big wakeup call - there ARE jobs out there - I wish you the best of luck, and there are resources to help you - you can apply for foodstamps if you make less than $30,000/year, maybe that will help you through this difficult time, I feel for you and hope your situation improves. I have so much more respect for a man that works hard, no matter what it is that he does, in order to take care of his wife and family so that they can have a brighter future. I have no respect for irresponsible lazy people who expect their wife to "take care of it all", and it sounds that you are getting very frustrated - I don't blame you.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:47 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,064,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresejenkins View Post
. I have so much more respect for a man that works hard, no matter what it is that he does, in order to take care of his wife and family so that they can have a brighter future.
AMEN.

There is no shame in hard work. In fact, it gives you reason to hold your head up high.

There needs to be a return to core values and core principles, in my humble opinion. Hard work. The value of a dollar. An education worth working for. Time with family.

"Stuff, stuff, and more stuff" is not the answer; more often than not, it is the problem.

BTW, I think we are long overdue in hearing from the OP.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Tom, that's just a talking point that's disproven by history.
Just where was it disproven?

Ask any cooperate CFO, or any small businessman/woman for that matter of fact, they will tell you that it is part of their business plan to pay for the taxes as part of the cost of doing business and that if the cost of doing business goes up than cost has to go up or something else has to go down. The things that can be affected are either salaries or supplies, if supplies are going up all over due to taxes go up, feces do roll down hill, than that only leaves two places to make up the differences.....

Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Just where was it disproven?

Ask any cooperate CFO, or any small businessman/woman for that matter of fact, they will tell you that it is part of their business plan to pay for the taxes as part of the cost of doing business and that if the cost of doing business goes up than cost has to go up or something else has to go down. The things that can be affected are either salaries or supplies, if supplies are going up all over due to taxes go up, feces do roll down hill, than that only leaves two places to make up the differences.....
The United States, Europe, Japan.

It's called 'Price Elacticity'. In a competitive marketplace, unlike today's which is dominated by mega-conglomerates who are unregulated, it happens. 1 company will undercut the other company's price if they jack up the costs by trying to be freeloaders in society.

Look at the stability of the 1950-73 timeframe, for one example.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM

You are correct if only one company raises it's prices than what you say would be true.....

If everyone has their taxes raised then guess what everyone's prices will go up so the market forces will not take the price back down.....

It is also called capitalizism...........

Old 07-26-2010, 01:07 PM

But that's the beauty of a truly free market; since taxes per unit constitute such a small part of costs, someone will always absorb the taxes and undercut the competition, since they'll make money anyway.

That's not theory, that's history.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:11 PM

No it isn't, I can tell you as someone who has actually run a business that when taxes go up everyone's prices go up.....

Try actually getting out into the real world once in a while instead of living with your head in the clouds of academia and you may actually learn how things really work.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area