Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 10,070 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have a degree in Communications from Virginia Tech (in Blacksburg, VA) and am currently working on my MBA at CSU. I am having the hardest time finding a decent paying job (at least 30,000-35,000) in Charleston and was wondering if anyone could maybe suggest some companies, direct me to local job sites, etc.? I am unsure as to what I can even do with a Comm degree anymore since I have gotten out of the media field. I have a background in marketing research and comm/PR but I am looking for any type of position that I can obtain with my background that pays decent ..any advice or direction is very greatly apreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 04:55 PM

11 posts, read 26,145 times
The job market can pretty tough in this area. I know there are several advertising agencies downtown that may or may not be hiring right now. Have you gone back and checked Hokies4Hire? The Post and Courier seems to be struggling to maintain there current work force, but I know that the television stations have been hiring intermittently. Have you tried looking at Blackbaud?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle08 View Post
Hello all! I have a degree in Communications from Virginia Tech (in Blacksburg, VA) and am currently working on my MBA at CSU. I am having the hardest time finding a decent paying job (at least 30,000-35,000) in Charleston and was wondering if anyone could maybe suggest some companies, direct me to local job sites, etc.? I am unsure as to what I can even do with a Comm degree anymore since I have gotten out of the media field. I have a background in marketing research and comm/PR but I am looking for any type of position that I can obtain with my background that pays decent ..any advice or direction is very greatly apreciated. Thanks so much!
I bet you could get a job anywhere selling advertising if you are willing to work on a straight commission basis-- or mostly commission.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:39 AM

5 posts, read 10,070 times
Sorry for the delay...I was interviewed by Blackbaud and completed the third interview and testing only to be told I didn't possess enough technical experience. I will definitely be checking out hokies4hire...I began working at a news station where I was previously employed but the money is awful, I can barely eat on my income ...thanks so much for all the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area