U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM

339 posts, read 1,049,599 times

Advertisements

My husband's job has required us to move three times in the last 10 years - the city.data forums for the last two areas I moved to were very friendly and wonderful about helping me get my kids setup in school, locating services, finding things to do, places to eat and so on. While there some wonderful folks who answer questions in this forum - I am a bit taken aback by the tone of some of the posts. Some have been almost hostile to new commers.

I really hope that this is just a few posters - more than anything I hope that what a woman from Seattle who has lived in the south 20 years told me - "Charleston is the only place in the South that we felt like outsiders."

I really hope it isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 05:45 AM

2,525 posts, read 7,182,223 times
You'll be welcomed. Ignore the posters who are only on the Charleston forums to bad mouth the area or tell outsiders to stay away, they're not representative of the area.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,589,094 times
There are some who are just plain ugly but you can't pay any attention to those kind.
With that said, I have said before that chatting with someone on the internet is tough.
You don't know that person so it is hard to understand their tone and the way they
communicate. What we as the reader may take as "tone" may not be at all. It is just
the way that person is.

All of the regular posters on this forum are super nice and offer a ton of good info!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 4,826,014 times
Welcome!!! I moved here 6 years ago from Florida and feel welcome and love it here.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,254,819 times
We have felt very welcome since we arrived here in South Carolina. Like most things in life, you pretty much get back what you put in, so to speak. I think the people we have met can't help but see that we are really enchanted with the area and are happy to be here, and that seems to make them happy to have us here as well. I bet if I went around crying for all my lost mountains I would get a different response from the locals. Just be prepared to smile politely and listen to all the advice on places you just have to see, even if you've been there already. People here are proud of their home, and certainly want to share. I'm quite sure I am close to hearing how the Wando Principal here in MP was voted best on the globe a hundred times by now, and will probably hear it a hundred more by the time school starts. OK with me!
You've probably noticed that the people who are somewhat nasty here on the boards don't have much else to contribute. Take their comments for what they're worth, and ignore them.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 AM

661 posts, read 1,202,829 times
I agree with everyone before me. Most people here are wonderfully accepting of outsiders. I have helped a lot of people relocate and 99.999% of them are extremely happy here.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:22 AM

4,048 posts, read 3,273,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin_florida View Post
more than anything I hope that what a woman from Seattle who has lived in the south 20 years told me - "Charleston is the only place in the South that we felt like outsiders."

I really hope it isn't true.

Wow, me too.

I do think Charleston has a reputation or a mystique of the old families who do not welcome outsiders. But don't you think they're getting outnumbered by newcomers? Maybe that makes them close ranks even more. But I look at it this way: I am not planning on living on The Battery. I think there are plenty of new people moving in or from elsewhere to make friends with....I don't need 82 friends, just a few.

BTW, the snobbiest place I ever lived was Charlotte and since leaving there I have heard that from numerous other people as well. Marietta, GA, was a close second.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:22 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,254,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Wow, me too.
BTW, the snobbiest place I ever lived was Charlotte
It's all so relative, isn't it? I keep looking for all these snobby people I hear about here, but since I grew up in Southern California, I just don't think the people here can compete, in that regard. People where I grew up were bad BEFORE the TV show "OC". After, it was a wonder they didn't drown when the rain fell. You couldn't drag me back now!

Old 08-05-2010, 03:40 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,365,287 times
First of all, do not let those people scare you off. There are nasty people in every forum, but I feel they are the minority. I will be moving to CHS in January 2012 (can't wait) but I have family that moved there about 7 years ago that said it is very hard to create "true" friendships with people born/raised there. They said the locals are polite and smile, but that's as far as it goes. All of the friends they have cookouts and dinner dates with are mainly transplants too. I won't let this scare me off. I am "good people" and feel in my heart that what I put out there always comes back to me Good luck to you.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:20 PM

4,048 posts, read 3,273,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
They said the locals are polite and smile, but that's as far as it goes.
I do worry about this because my daughter is going to go to a church preschool downtown....I wanted a preschool in Mt. Pleasant but they all had long waiting lists. I am excited for her because it is such a beautiful environment but I also worry that she will be excluded. If' I'm excluded I can handle that (wouldn't be the first time) but I don't want my daughter to be snubbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or