Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 PM

116 posts, read 212,422 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move near (within a 30 minute drive) a college town (public 4-yr college) within the next year. We've considered Richmond, KY, Lexington, SC and possibly Summerville, SC. We currently live in an area where our public schools are 35% undocumented citizens. We would like to get away from this and the high cost of living. Does anyone have any input where we might find a place like this? We visited Lexington, SC last week and found that is wasn't what we had hoped for, plus it was very busy (traffic wise). Richmond, KY was nice, but I'm just not sure what opportunities there would be for us and our children once they graduate. The frigid winters and lack of unemployment opportunities (due to the fact that I am not bilingual) are very depressing. Any suggestions/comments on these areas or even somewhere else would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
We are looking to move near (within a 30 minute drive) a college town (public 4-yr college) within the next year. We've considered Richmond, KY, Lexington, SC and possibly Summerville, SC. We currently live in an area where our public schools are 35% undocumented citizens. We would like to get away from this and the high cost of living. Does anyone have any input where we might find a place like this? We visited Lexington, SC last week and found that is wasn't what we had hoped for, plus it was very busy (traffic wise). Richmond, KY was nice, but I'm just not sure what opportunities there would be for us and our children once they graduate. The frigid winters and lack of unemployment opportunities (due to the fact that I am not bilingual) are very depressing. Any suggestions/comments on these areas or even somewhere else would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
We call them Illegal Aliens down here....

Lexington SC is ok, but I prefer Summerville, it is where I have called home for nearly 16 years....

Old 08-12-2010, 08:18 AM

435 posts, read 834,932 times
I think the lack of "un"employment opportunities are hardly due to bilingual problem. Wait, when did I become a heartless conservative?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
I think the lack of "un"employment opportunities are hardly due to bilingual problem. Wait, when did I become a heartless conservative?
There is a quote that goes something along that line....

It says that if at 20 you are not liberal you have no heart, if at 40 you are not conservative you have no brain.....

I don't know who said it but it does ring true sometimes.....

Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 AM

So Warren Buffet has no brain...the richest man in America. The 2nd and 3rd are also liberal and over 40. I am not even forty and I bet I make twice as much as you do (based on your old posts of your profession) and I want myself to be taxed more for the society sakes. I think the last sentence should be "if at 40 you are not a sell-out you have no brain." Btw, if Summerville passes the illegal immigrant law, I want the police to check everyone for passport or birth certificate during traffic stops etc (do you carry any of these two IDs everyday?) regardless the race since is not a racial issue. If anyone who can not produce either of them on the spot, the police should arrest them. If you are talking about no brain, such law is pretty much moving toward a police state. Under our constitution the government is not suppose to keep a record of us other than birth and passport hence no national IDs.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 AM

A birth certificate is required for a SC drivers license so in affect if you carry around a SC driver's license you do carry around your birth certificate......

The ordinance that the town of Summerville wants to pass is that you can not work or live in Summerville if you are not in the country legally....

And as far as who makes more money, that has nothing to do with how smart you are, just what profession you happen to choose, I chose to serve my country in the Military doing one of the hardest jobs in the Navy. I was one of the top 1% in the entire Navy so let compare those things if you want to compare 'brains'. The quote was not one that I made up, just one that I have heard.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 AM

From the SCDMV web page:

Regular Driver's License For 17 Year Old and Older Drivers

If you are at least 17 years old and have held a beginner's permit for 180 days, you are eligible for a regular SC Driver's License. To get a Regular Driver's License:
  • If you are under 18 years of age and have never been licensed, you must bring your parent or legal guardian with you to sign your application.
  • If you are 18 years old or older, you do not need the signature or your parent or legal guardian.
  • You must bring your birth certificate, social security card, proof of residency and insurance information.
  • You must pass the vision and road skills tests.
So yes I do cary around a copy of my birth certificate with me, it is called my SC driver's license....

Old 08-12-2010, 11:30 AM

So do you find it funny that you work for an organization you don't like, "the government." Also, you assume I didn't served in the military. Comparing top 1% of people in the military vs. general population is like comparing apple and orange. However, if you are from the Naval Academy than I will say that you probably have more brain and just mis-guided. Wait, offices from the Naval Academy is like 0.1% of the Navy?

So if you are a visitor with other state licenses, you are in trouble? Btw, a lot of illegal immgrants do have driver licenses because majority of them once were on working visa (feel free to check how most illegals get into the US probably contrary to your believes).

Old 08-12-2010, 01:53 PM

I don't work for the government anymore....

Most states require a birth certificate or proof of legal residence for a driver's license, some like NC do not.....

I never said that you did not serve in the Military, I usually can tell if someone has served by the way they write/speak, the word is officers not offices....

Attention to detail is critical in the military, Annapolis grads are not the top .1% of the Navy.....

I know a lot of illegals are here because they overstayed their visas, now you are making assumptions....

Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM

116 posts, read 212,422 times
Is it possible to get a home for under $200,000 (about 1800 sf) and at least 1/3 of an acre in Summerville? How is the drive from Summerville to the College of Charleston? We visited Lexington, SC (found it very fast paced because of Columbia). Richmond, KY was less fast paced, but not quite as pretty as Lexington. Although the really pretty area (Lake Murray) is way out of our price. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area