Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times

Advertisements

Trident, Greenville and Spartanburg Techs all require SAT testing for placing, but they have a lot more technical programs than what I am talking about. I am referring to actual hands on technical training in how to actually fix things.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,775,979 times
Here is the article to which I referred.

I did not say that only those kids who graduated in 2010 took the test that year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
The article from SC says you are wrong as to say the only those kids who graduated iin 2010 took the ACT that year.

As to number taking the SAT vs ACT. I'm still looking.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
I tried and could not find any data on the number of SAT takers in SC.

Any help would be appreciated.
ACT National and State Scores for 2009: Average ACT Scores by State

all i could find was the ACT.

it looks suspicious, though. 50% of South Carolina H.S. graduates are taking the ACT? if that is accurate, it must be a new trend.

other states look... off. 15% in NC, 40% in Georgia, and 92% in Tennessee?

as expected, states with lower % of test-takers had higher average scores.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
Here is the article to which I referred.

I did not say that only those kids who graduated in 2010 took the test that year.
But I believe you based your 37% figure on something liike 370 students taking the ACT, when the original data said 230 (more or less) did.

And since, like Wisconsin, it doesn't say that only seniors took the ACT (from a local (SC) article I quoted- I can get it for ya, if you want), but rather that it was taken sometimes during a student's career (4 yrs), then shouldn't the best way to roughly calculate the % be based upon the student body, as kids move from grade-to-grade?

I'm a grad of the SC school system (Elem/Secondary School ) so I may be missing something.

'My lack of education may be hurtin' me some', to convolute Paul Simon's lyric from 'Kodachrome'.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,775,979 times
In the 2008-2009 school year, it was estimated that 67% of South Carolina High School graduates took the SAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

it looks suspicious, though. 50% of South Carolina H.S. graduates are taking the ACT? if that is accurate, it must be a new trend.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:

That's another can of worms:

SC has such a habit of not reporting true stats on education as to always be the chief suspect.

Let me amend one thing I said ,though:

SC Educators are not the ones who lie- for the most part.

SC Educators are a tremorous group; they get low pay, lousy work conditions, and have no support if a principal decides to go after them for ANY reason, legit or not.

So, they're just trying to hold on.

No, it's the sausages in the District Offices, or in the Dept Of Ed in Columbia who lie through their teeth to make a murder scene look like a suicide.

In a metaphorical context, I mean.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Trident, Greenville and Spartanburg Techs all require SAT testing for placing, but they have a lot more technical programs than what I am talking about. I am referring to actual hands on technical training in how to actually fix things.....
Thanks for more info, Tom.

But tell me: do the Techs only have Degree Programs, or do they also have Diploma ones for the guy or gal who just wants to learn how to repair a small engine, and not learn the history of internal combustion?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:05 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
That's another can of worms:

SC has such a habit of not reporting true stats on education as to always be the chief suspect.

Let me amend one thing I said ,though:

SC Educators are not the ones who lie- for the most part.

SC Educators are a tremorous group; they get low pay, lousy work conditions, and have no support if a principal decides to go after them for ANY reason, legit or not.

So, they're just trying to hold on.

No, it's the sausages in the District Offices, or in the Dept Of Ed in Columbia who lie through their teeth to make a murder scene look like a suicide.

In a metaphorical context, I mean.
I don't actually have experience with this, I really don't know.

But I do recall a report that was saying South Carolina is one of the most rigorous states, when it comes to keeping standards high. Texas and NC were mentioned as two, that were total failures, who rig their systems to get better statistics.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it was a national report that came out last year I believe, where they graded A through F. South Carolina was one of a handful of states with an A.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM

92 posts, read 264,166 times
Quote:
Thank you, Tom.

Although I am a bit confused:

It says 62% of seniors took the SAT in 2007, but then it totals that number from Seniors through Freshman.

And says nothing about kids who took it both Senior and Junior years, as to double counting.

And I know from experience (with my old fart generation, as well as nephews and nieces), that taking it more than once is SOP.

So, someone please help me out as to how to interpret the data.
On page 21, it looks like 83% of Wando seniors took the SAT exam - suggesting this is the preferred exam for this school. As mentioned numerous times, some states (historically) lean towards one exam or the other. It was almost unheard of to take the ACT in New York, but the same is not true of Michigan. The percentage of students taking the ACT at my high school (NY) was probably less than 5%, yet 99% enrolled in college.

So, argue all you want about SC educational system, but don't use the low ACT enrollment as evidence. That would be like arguing that Wisconsin has a poor system because of low SAT enrollment (I don't know the actual numbers, but it appears that the ACT is the preferred exam there).

Old 08-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I don't actually have experience with this, I really don't know.

But I do recall a report that was saying South Carolina is one of the most rigorous states, when it comes to keeping standards high. Texas and NC were mentioned as two, that were total failures, who rig their systems to get better statistics.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it was a national report that came out last year I believe, where they graded A through F. South Carolina was one of a handful of states with an A.

SC Public High Schools: 158 Dropouts Each Day | The Voice for School Choice

"South Carolina misreported its graduation rate by 21.5 percent (falsely claiming it was 77.1%)"

Here's another case of misrepresentation. In this case, it gives school choice a leg to stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area