U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 130,634 times
Default Best Family Areas to Live Near Charleston

Our family is seriously considering relocating to the Charleston area and are seeking information on the best housing areas for families. We have information on Daniel Island but not much else. Are there other areas we should consider? What is it like to leave those areas for activities for the children (e.g. soccer, ballet, art classes, etc.)? Our children are 9 and 11 and we prefer not to commute for everything. Coming from an expensive area of the country, we can afford the homes on Daniel Island but are not locked into a price range as much as a way of life. Thank you in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 29,651 times
Daniel Island is what realtors seem to push. Its a new area but distant to beaches, downtown Charleston, etc. Schools are the biggest family factor.
Dorchester County Schools are considered superior to Charleston County. Many in Charleston Co. use private schools. I recommend you consider what you want to be near to, such as work, beach, school, church, shopping... and go from there. Many wind up in Mt Pleasant, others in Summerville. Hallmock

Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM

343 posts, read 592,800 times
I have a family and I choose Summerville. I would have choose Mt Plesant if I had more $$

Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 PM

22 posts, read 84,001 times
Default Mount Pleasant is great but other areas are too!

Mount Pleasant is a great place to live, work, to raise a family and to just relax...great golf courses, close to beaches, lots of shopping, a county park with a water slide and nice trails, open spaces for walking dogs and throwing a frisbee, popular schools with great test scores, the wonderful pedestrian/bike access over the new Ravenel Bridge between Charleston and Mount Pleasant, a nationally recognized recreation department with programs for children and adults alike, taxes that are lower than surrounding cities, and way more restaurants than you can eat in. That being said...the houses are more per square foot than North Charleston, Hanahan, Goose Creek, and Summerville, about the same as some parts of James Island, and less than Daniel Island and the peninsula of Charleston. The good news is that all of the communities have special assets of their own and all that is in Mount Pleasant is available to Charleston residents that don't live there via a couple of bridges!
Attached Thumbnails
Best Family Areas to Live Near Charleston-boats.jpg  

Old 07-10-2007, 01:09 PM

12 posts, read 79,656 times
Hi my family and I are also planning to move to the Charleston area we are looking for an area that is walking distance to a quant downtown for coffee shops shopping ect. Does anyone have any ideas. Also we would like a town with a great school system.
thanks!!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:06 AM

199 posts, read 536,710 times
Mt Pleasant has much better schools than Charleston and its very close by- its also more expensive than Summerville or West Ashley, which are where many Chas. employees live. If you can afford Daniel Island, you can no doubt afford Mt Pleasant.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:59 AM

153 posts, read 500,771 times
West Ashley is a section of the city of Charleston that you may want to consider. It is a closer drive to downtown than Mt. P, and it has a variety of neighborhoods from old and established to upcoming and upscale. WA public schools are fairly decent, considering they're in Chas County. The really bad schools in the county are usually in the north area. The beaches are 15 minutes away, the metro's largest mall is even closer, and the city has numerous recreation parks to accomodate many families.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 36,070 times
I would seriously consider Mt. Pleasant. My husband and I live in Hamlin Plantation with our 2 children and we absolutely love it! We're 5 minutes from the beach, shopping, restaurants and the recreation center. Mt. Pleasant is a fabulous place to live! We love it, check it out

Old 07-24-2007, 05:37 AM

7 posts, read 37,524 times
Default where to live Chas area

I grew up in Hanahan (between Daniel Isl and Summerville), lived in N. Charleston, Summerville, and Mt Pleasant. I am currently looking to return to the Charleston area from Europe (3.5 years away). I would have to say that if I could afford it, and I think I can, I would buy in Daniels Island. I just have to decide if I want to sacrifice size and lot size for location. I have a kid in college and one in elementary school. My friends and I used to call Mt. Pleasant the land of the Stepford wives. They were surprised that I moved there for 5 years. I loved the local, but was a little disappointed in the people. Having grown up in SC, I had a hard time adjusting to the "new" folks who have since inundated Mt. Pleasant. It is just not as friendly and cordial as other parts of "the South". Most people are from somewhere else. Then again, that might be a plus for some. There is a lot of money; people and kids with money. My son complained about wanting a BMW, or better to drive like his friends when he was a junior. The kids seem to get whatever they asked for. He wasn't raised that way. I had to work hard to keep him from having the "keep up with the Jones" mentality. I know there will be much of the same in Daniel Isl. However, the local is perfect, and I think it is the best place for an investment. There are restaurants, swimming pools, libraries, schools and biking/walking paths all from your home. there is also the Family Circle Cup. I watched it from over here and it was like a paid ad for Daniel Island. The community life is wonderful. However, the $/sq ft is high. Hwy 165 from Daniel Isl puts you right in the middle. Easy accesss to everywhere. Summerville is also good. However, you will find yourself in a lot of traffic. The flow is heavy from Charleston afternoons, and to Charleston mornings. It took longer to get to the middle of Dorchester Rd from the middle of S'ville during rush hour (15 min w/o traffic) then it did from Mt Pleasant or even Hollywood. If you can work from the opposite directions (other then going southeast) it is great. Historic Summerville is beautiful, quaint and still old south! Important to look into now for Charleston area is the issue with HO insurance near coastal areas. Allstate has pretty much pulled out. Several of my Mt Pleasant friends have already been dropped and are having a hard time getting policies. They are finding them but the cost is higher 25-100% depending on the location. Summerville is pretty safe from that. I am still investigating HO issues for Daniel Isl. You can't go by what the existing homeowners say they pay. The issues are more for new policies, like us! I'm getting quotes and future predictions of risk, where I can. With what happened with Katrina and the Global Warming threats, insurance companies are getting very skiddish.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 23,694 times
Hi, I've been wanting to move to South Carolina for a while. But which part is the best? i have a price range of 100,000-250,000. But my family and I want to live close to the beach and restruants. any help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area