Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,893 times

Advertisements

Ok whatever. It's over 7000 sq ft which is what I thought a mcmansion is. I'm not a real estate person nor do I claim to be one. lol

Heading out in da boat now!! Wooooooo!! Luv summer!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 08:51 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Typically a McMansion also needs to be either poorly designed (ie- one style of facead, another style of detailing, another style interior) and in either a far out location or a neighborhood where it sticks out like a sore thumb. That's why its a derogatory term.

And geez- 7.5 mil. I know real estate is worth what someone is willing to pay but that is a bit steep in this market.

Have fun on the boat.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 AM

435 posts, read 835,143 times
People who can afford that don't live the same lives as we do. They may only spend few months in Charleston and with a private jet most of the US east coast cities are within 2 hrs for them.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:05 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,729 times
I thought that McMansions were very large houses built on undersized lots..

Old 08-28-2010, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification. We had a great time today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Typically a McMansion also needs to be either poorly designed (ie- one style of facead, another style of detailing, another style interior) and in either a far out location or a neighborhood where it sticks out like a sore thumb. That's why its a derogatory term.

And geez- 7.5 mil. I know real estate is worth what someone is willing to pay but that is a bit steep in this market.

Have fun on the boat.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 PM

That's what I thought also. Guess we both learned something today. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post

Old 08-29-2010, 11:51 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Typically I've seen McMansion used in reference to seemingly out of place homes- so a huge spread on postage stamp lot fits the bill- but so would a series of overwrought houses on huge lots next to corn fields or a huge house that took the place of a tear down in an older neighborhood. The rural McMansion typically sticks out because it seems illogical to build your giant house within a subdvision in BFE instead of simply having a large country house.

And typically the McMansion is an odd mix of housing styles or an odd style for where it is located. Like having a sprawling suburban house that fills an entire close to town lot, or building a quasi-spanish style house in the country, a country style house in town, or putting exposed exterior trusses and stacked stone on what is supposed to be a colonial home.

I remember first coming accross the term when I was an architecture student in the 90s. Back then it was definitely first describing those humongous houses on postage stamp lots. But then people started doing nicer large house/small yard developments (such as Ion, Hibben locally) and the suburbs started getting crappier. 4000+ sq houses that were seemignly built for show but clad cheaply in vinyl or synthetic stucco pretty much were included since they were all appearance and no quality.

The house you linked is not necessarily my style but definitely was built in a clear style, makes sense in its setting and appears well-built. Now if someone were giving it away... I probably still couldn't afford the taxes/insurance/upkeep- but I might be willing to go broke trying.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
That's relative- most every lot in Charleston is a postage stamp.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 PM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
Most lots in ANY US metro area are postage stamp size.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Most lots in ANY US metro area are postage stamp size.
This is true, although zoning can help somewhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area