Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,287,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Lots of mis-info re: crime and education here.

If you check SC is at the top (#1 is their typical place, but this year they have 'fallen' to #5) (5th highest) crime rate in the nation.

Charleston metro mirrors the state: the only zipcode that is as safe as the randomly selected USA ziocode is 29401 (Battery and SNOB country; SNOB= Slightly North Of Broad), ALL others (including Mt Pleasant) have crime rates > the average.

'Best' public schools there are mediocre at the most generous.
Charleston Co. schools integrated in the early 70's, and largely segregated by the early 80's, as whites pulled their kids from the public system to put their kids in lilly-white private academies. And lack of funding for public ed is a direct result.

SC's is #51 (behind DC) in edcuation as measured by graduation rate (50%).

And, of course, there is a strong correlation betwixt poor edcuation and increased crime rates.

I grew-up West Of The Ashley (note the now-anachronistic way I refer to the area). It was once the nearest that Charleston had to a Middle Class area. But that was largely due to a police policy that hasseled any blacks (except for maids/other workers) who walked/drove in the area.
Today it is a collection of some nice areas, some not so nice, and a lot of commercial strip development that would make a maggot puke.
Wow, I guess it really is all a matter of personal perspective. The Bees Ferry Rd area although not built up yet, but I'm sure will be some day, is really a nice area in West Ashley, or West of the Ashley as you say. The Sam Rittenburg area of West Ashely, is much more congested and has a completely different feel to it than the Bees Ferry Rd area. So like many parts of the Charleston area, I don't judge an entire area based solely on one area. It's true about SC being very high in crime overall, but like anywhere, you use common sense in your surroundings. For people that want to move to the Charleston area, and can't afford the homes in or near the downtown area, I think West Ashley is a good alternative, especially if schools aren't an important part of your decision in relocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
Wow, I guess it really is all a matter of personal perspective. The Bees Ferry Rd area although not built up yet, but I'm sure will be some day, is really a nice area in West Ashley, or West of the Ashley as you say. The Sam Rittenburg area of West Ashely, is much more congested and has a completely different feel to it than the Bees Ferry Rd area. So like many parts of the Charleston area, I don't judge an entire area based solely on one area. It's true about SC being very high in crime overall, but like anywhere, you use common sense in your surroundings. For people that want to move to the Charleston area, and can't afford the homes in or near the downtown area, I think West Ashley is a good alternative, especially if schools aren't an important part of your decision in relocating.
I think it is a good option also; as far as crime goes West Of The Ashley and East Of The Cooper (Mt Pleasant) are a horse apiece.

Wando is better (or that's the general belief) than whatever the latest version of St Andrews and Middleton is. That probably has something to do with more geetus being available in Wando, or it may just be hype, as SC teachers (as part of merit pay) have been found to give students answers to tests, or at least directly teach the tests.

Bees Ferry is the next area set for development, although the fact that there is a Superfund site out there may scare some folks off.

But remember: 25 years ago, Sam Rittenberg was the tranquil, upscale area, (Orange Grove, North Bridge) and 40 years ago once you cleared Avondale on the Savannah Hwy, you were in a scattered collection of wooded areas and 'upscale' (tho that was before the Real Estate biz stole the term from the scientific community) housing tracts.

So, past is prologue.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 38,973 times
We moved to West Ashley a year ago and love it here. We are in the Bee's Ferry Road area also. We contemplated moving to Summerville or Mount Pleasant but ended up here and are very happy with our decision.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 AM

313 posts, read 708,989 times
I used to live in your area, I lived in Pennsauken for a bit. I am living in West Ashley now. We bought a house in Grand Oaks Plantation. Its a very nice quiet neighborhood. No problems so far in the 4 months we have been here.

We looked in Mount Pleasant and I actually work in Mount Pleasant. I am so glad we bought in West Ashley. The traffic is bad everywhere, even in West Ashley, but its no where near as bad as Rt17 in Mount Pleasant.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
West Ashley has some very, very nice new homes in nice, new neighborhoods. Ultimately, we preferred the more "resort" feel of southern Mt. Pleasant even though our son attends a private school in West Ashley.

Also, the particular parts of West Ashley we looked at seemed too far for us personally from the beach.

It is so hard to know until you can get here yourself and drive around.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I think it is a good option also; as far as crime goes West Of The Ashley and East Of The Cooper (Mt Pleasant) are a horse apiece.

Wando is better (or that's the general belief) than whatever the latest version of St Andrews and Middleton is. That probably has something to do with more geetus being available in Wando, or it may just be hype, as SC teachers (as part of merit pay) have been found to give students answers to tests, or at least directly teach the tests.

Bees Ferry is the next area set for development, although the fact that there is a Superfund site out there may scare some folks off.

But remember: 25 years ago, Sam Rittenberg was the tranquil, upscale area, (Orange Grove, North Bridge) and 40 years ago once you cleared Avondale on the Savannah Hwy, you were in a scattered collection of wooded areas and 'upscale' (tho that was before the Real Estate biz stole the term from the scientific community) housing tracts.

So, past is prologue.
Geechie, any evidence of this or is it just more of your sour grapes and half truths?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Geechie, any evidence of this or is it just more of your sour grapes and half truths?
Tom,

Just because you don't like the info I post does not make them 'Half- truths.'

I'll look and be back to ya.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
My wife is a teacher along with several others on this board, you make accusations that impugn their character and guess what I do disagree with it, so back it up or shut up!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 AM

313 posts, read 708,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I have only been on this Charleston Forum for a couple of month, however, I have already noticed that this Geechie is some weirdo disgruntled former resident. I don't understand all the hate for the area, I really don't.

I have lived all over the US and every place has positives and negatives. Charleston is a very nice place to live.

The OP in this thread used to live 2 miles from Camden... I am sure they are used to living in a nice area which is right next to a very bad area. Trust me when I say, there is nothing near Charleston as bad as Camden, not even close. Camden was not rated the worst city in America 2 years in a row for no good reason.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,287,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
I used to live in your area, I lived in Pennsauken for a bit. I am living in West Ashley now. We bought a house in Grand Oaks Plantation. Its a very nice quiet neighborhood. No problems so far in the 4 months we have been here.

We looked in Mount Pleasant and I actually work in Mount Pleasant. I am so glad we bought in West Ashley. The traffic is bad everywhere, even in West Ashley, but its no where near as bad as Rt17 in Mount Pleasant.
We just moved into the Moss Creek Subsection of Grand Oaks. Although we've only been in the house 2 weeks, it's seems like a very peaceful, quiet neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area