U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:11 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,019,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I see nothing in that excerpt or in the article that you posted from an opinon piece in a COLLEGE news paper not a main stream news paper, that says that teachers gave students the answers to the test, as you posted back on the previous page.....

I have never said that teachers do not teach to the test, that is what the state standards are based on duh....
Tom, facts are right in front of ya, as always:

The teachers were teaching the answers to the standardized tests used in SC.

They did that (or perhaps are doing it) because their pay was tied to performance on said tests.

That's what the Clemson article is discussing.

And rote memory alone is not how teaching is supposed to work, after Grade 2 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM

Teacher charged in test fraud - Charleston SC - The Post and Courier - postandcourier.com (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:54TlrRbTALgJ:www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/sep/15/teacher-charged-in-test-fraud/+sc+teachers+teaching+answers+to+palmetto+achievem ent+standard&cd=22&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

Teacher charged in test fraud

By Diette Courrégé

The Post and Courier
Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"A retired Berkeley County teacher has been accused of using hand signals to communicate with students while they took the spring 2008 Palmetto Achievement Challenge Test..."

And some of the methods were pretty crude.

Look, this is not an indictment of all SC educators. It just shows what happens when people's pay is dependent upon factors they just cannot control- state funding, etc.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 AM

And lastly,

I remember reading in History of how the great Magyar ruler Arpad decided that present-day Hungary would be his new digs:

He sent out a rading party who came back with some water from the Danube, a chunk of dirt, and a woman from the tribes living there.

And the truth is ol' Arpad did an in-depth, 'NASA quality' survey to produce the data on which he made his decision, compared to how the Average American selects a new place to live.

Which is why we get some really comical questions here, like 'Are there snakes in South Carolina?', and, ' Am I safe from Hurricanes in Ladson?'.

Look, I know the area, and unlike some real estate agent or some smarmy politico, it is not my job to blow sunshine up your nether regions about life in Charleston, SC, or SC in general.

My OPINION is that Charleston is now a city by, of and for, transplants- boomtowners.
And I seriously doubt they can screw it up to any greater degree than the long-time residents and their offspring have.

And that's all.

Have a beaut of a 24 hrs on this planet!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,096,248 times
One teacher was charged, you stated as SC teachers (as part of merit pay) have been found to give students answers to tests' I asked you to prove what you posted, you can not therefore what you posted is a half-truth if not an outright lie and once again you have been proven wrong.....

The teachers are teaching to the state standards, the state wide tests are based on the state standards therefore when the teach to the state standards they are teaching to the test, and like I said earlier, DUH, that is what the are told to do by the GOVERNMENT, if you want someone who teaches from outside the box then don't put them in a box to begin with.....

This is one of the major reasons why I tell people that they should use private schools whenever they can.....

Old 08-23-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
And lastly,

I remember reading in History of how the great Magyar ruler Arpad decided that present-day Hungary would be his new digs:

He sent out a rading party who came back with some water from the Danube, a chunk of dirt, and a woman from the tribes living there.

And the truth is ol' Arpad did an in-depth, 'NASA quality' survey to produce the data on which he made his decision, compared to how the Average American selects a new place to live.

Which is why we get some really comical questions here, like 'Are there snakes in South Carolina?', and, ' Am I safe from Hurricanes in Ladson?'.

Look, I know the area, and unlike some real estate agent or some smarmy politico, it is not my job to blow sunshine up your nether regions about life in Charleston, SC, or SC in general.

My OPINION is that Charleston is now a city by, of and for, transplants- boomtowners.
And I seriously doubt they can screw it up to any greater degree than the long-time residents and their offspring have.

And that's all.

Have a beaut of a 24 hrs on this planet!
I am neither a realtor nor politico just another transplant who happens to like it here, I married a woman who happens to be a transplant also, from La., who just so happens to be a government school teacher(IRT) in a title one school in a ghetto. I have lived here for over 20 years, I believe I have a little more current up todate information on what is happening in the schools.....

Old 08-23-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
One teacher was charged, you stated as SC teachers (as part of merit pay) have been found to give students answers to tests' I asked you to prove what you posted, you can not therefore what you posted is a half-truth if not an outright lie and once again you have been proven wrong.....

The teachers are teaching to the state standards, the state wide tests are based on the state standards therefore when the teach to the state standards they are teaching to the test, and like I said earlier, DUH, that is what the are told to do by the GOVERNMENT, if you want someone who teaches from outside the box then don't put them in a box to begin with.....

This is one of the major reasons why I tell people that they should use private schools whenever they can.....
No, Tom it was more than one teacher. It was widespread. That's why Clemson talked of it.

You hate the government- that's your right.

But remember that public schools dont' fail everywhere- just where they are not supported by the populace- and in SC that is for racist reasons.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I am neither a realtor nor politico just another transplant who happens to like it here, I married a woman who happens to be a transplant also, from La., who just so happens to be a government school teacher(IRT) in a title one school in a ghetto. I have lived here for over 20 years, I believe I have a little more current up todate information on what is happening in the schools.....
'Ghetto.'

Tipin' your hand, Tom.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 PM

FOXNews.com - Testing on Trial - Opinion

"But the scandal, as reported in The State and Greenville Online, still interests me. Three teachers have had their licenses suspended (though not revoked) since the tests were implemented in 1998, and ten schools have been or are now under investigation by the State Law Enforcement Division."

Fox News! Not no panty-waste government news source.

Now, to be fair testing- cheating on same- has also happened in other states, and is not widespread.

At least in SC's case appears LESS widespread than the misreporting of grad rates by the State Ed Dept, sometimes by as much as 20%.

But it is a problem- exacerbated by the lousy funding levels SC gives her public schools.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:56 PM

313 posts, read 621,145 times
Wow, there must be so many exciting things to do in Wisconsin that you have time to post this nonsense all day.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
No, Tom it was more than one teacher. It was widespread. That's why Clemson talked of it.

You hate the government- that's your right.

But remember that public schools dont' fail everywhere- just where they are not supported by the populace- and in SC that is for racist reasons.
From the article you posted as proof: Lou Ann Williamson, 52, of Summerville was charged earlier this month with violating test security laws as a result of a State Law Enforcement Division investigation. She was booked at the Berkeley County Detention Center on Sept. 2. Neither SLED nor Berkeley County school officials would release details on the case because it's still open.

NO mention of others involved, no mention of more charges against other teachers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area