U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 15,097,568 times
Reputation: 1351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
'Ghetto.'

Tipin' your hand, Tom.
How am I tipping my hand?

She teaches in a Ghetto, there are plenty of them in N. Charleston....

You yourself have even mentioned it a time or two....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,020,486 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
From the article you posted as proof: Lou Ann Williamson, 52, of Summerville was charged earlier this month with violating test security laws as a result of a State Law Enforcement Division investigation. She was booked at the Berkeley County Detention Center on Sept. 2. Neither SLED nor Berkeley County school officials would release details on the case because it's still open.

NO mention of others involved, no mention of more charges against other teachers....
Tom, do a basic online search.

Geez!

Even Faux is citing 10 schools.

The big case I repeatedly came across involved a teacher at an academy (although it was public). Do I need to get it for ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 02:04 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,020,486 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
Wow, there must be so many exciting things to do in Wisconsin that you have time to post this nonsense all day.
And yet you took time out of your busy life to read it................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 15,097,568 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
FOXNews.com - Testing on Trial - Opinion


"But the scandal, as reported in The State and Greenville Online, still interests me. Three teachers have had their licenses suspended (though not revoked) since the tests were implemented in 1998, and ten schools have been or are now under investigation by the State Law Enforcement Division."

Fox News! Not no panty-waste government news source.

Now, to be fair testing- cheating on same- has also happened in other states, and is not widespread.

At least in SC's case appears LESS widespread than the misreporting of grad rates by the State Ed Dept, sometimes by as much as 20%.

But it is a problem- exacerbated by the lousy funding levels SC gives her public schools.
Three teachers in 12 years have had their licenses suspended but not revoked, that is widespread enough for you to post it as fact? If there were any facts to support your argument that teachers are giving students the answers to the test than you would put up more than 3 suspensions in 12 years, there would me more arrests and convictions......

Like I have said many times in the past you post half-truths at best and outright lies at worse.....

As for me hating the government, no I do not hate the government, I fear the government, for the simple fact that a government big enough to give you everything is big enough to take it all away....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,020,486 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Three teachers in 12 years have had their licenses suspended but not revoked, that is widespread enough for you to post it as fact? If there were any facts to support your argument that teachers are giving students the answers to the test than you would put up more than 3 suspensions in 12 years, there would me more arrests and convictions......

Like I have said many times in the past you post half-truths at best and outright lies at worse.....

As for me hating the government, no I do not hate the government, I fear the government, for the simple fact that a government big enough to give you everything is big enough to take it all away....
Which is why I used Faux.

'Ten Schools', Tom. Not as widespread as the repeated systematic fradulant reporting of graduation rates by SC's ED Dept so as not to make the joint look like the basket case it is.

"So it applies to MiShawna Moore, the highly-touted former principal of CCSD's Sanders-Clyde Elementary. [See School Under Scrutiny in Wednesday's P & C.] Her success in raising test scores over the last five years has pushed CCSD into asking for a SLED investigation."

That's from a site called 'The Newsless Courier'.

Gotta love that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,020,486 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
How am I tipping my hand?

She teaches in a Ghetto, there are plenty of them in N. Charleston....

You yourself have even mentioned it a time or two....
Yep, but if I taught (or was the spouse of) in a school there I sure wouldn't call it a 'Ghetto.'

People get sensative about that word.

And there a plenty of poverty-filled areas throughout the Trident Area- and all of SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
1,541 posts, read 2,260,878 times
Reputation: 368
Unfortunately teachers helping children to cheat on standardized tests is something that is happening all over the country. It's a shameful act, and it's embarrassing that it is happening here. I did one google search using the words "Washington State cheating standardized tests and came up with this link pointing fingers at Georgia, Washington, Texas, and Virginia. I'm betting if I was remotely inclined to dig deeper I could find the same accusations occurring in most states.
Geechie, your "sky is falling" attitude about South Carolina is tiresome, and misleading. Considering your poor choice of words in an earlier post regarding Mount Pleasant and it's reasons for being a desirable place to live I would think you would be the last person to stoop to implying ugly things in reference to OTC's use of the word "ghetto".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
1,541 posts, read 2,260,878 times
Reputation: 368
FOXNews.com - Atlanta schools latest in string of test cheating scandals across nation


Forgot the link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 03:56 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,020,486 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Unfortunately teachers helping children to cheat on standardized tests is something that is happening all over the country. It's a shameful act, and it's embarrassing that it is happening here. I did one google search using the words "Washington State cheating standardized tests and came up with this link pointing fingers at Georgia, Washington, Texas, and Virginia. I'm betting if I was remotely inclined to dig deeper I could find the same accusations occurring in most states.
Geechie, your "sky is falling" attitude about South Carolina is tiresome, and misleading. Considering your poor choice of words in an earlier post regarding Mount Pleasant and it's reasons for being a desirable place to live I would think you would be the last person to stoop to implying ugly things in reference to OTC's use of the word "ghetto".
Perhaps you can point out a factual error I have made in describing Mt. Pleasant.

Also, if you read you'll find that I quantified the test cheating to 10 cases (SC), whereas on at least 2 seperate years, SC has mis-reported its HS grad rate by a factor of 15-20%, a phenom unique among the states, as near as I can find.

My cautioning as to the use of the word 'ghetto' comes from a mistake I made almost 40 years ago on my initial night of patrol as part of the CPD.

In the ignorance of youth and pompous education, I asked my trainer, and new partner, 'Which side of the city is the worst, the E. or W.?'

He gave me an annoyed look. See, his entire family lived in both areas; it was kind of like a stranger coming up to me (or you; John/Jane Q Citizen) and asking, 'Which side of your family has the bigger jerks, your mom or your dad's?'

I never forget that lesson.

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-23-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 PM
 
3,386 posts, read 4,340,233 times
Reputation: 2230
People- QUIT. FEEDING. THE. TROLL.

A lady asked about how safe West Ashley is. The basic answer is pretty darned to exceedingly safe in the oldest and newest areas. We have now spent about 4 pages discussing opinions on SC's education, development, race issues as asserted by someone living 8 states away. WHY?

The final answer to who is right or wrong is basically this- alot of people who have options for where they live are chosing to move to this particular area in pretty large numbers. That alone says something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:08 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top