U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 PM

62 posts, read 80,351 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from NJ, 2 miles from Camden but live in an area where crime is an egg being tossed at your house.... Any input on the West Ashley area?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 04:15 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,910,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLisaPa View Post
We are looking to relocate from NJ, 2 miles from Camden but live in an area where crime is an egg being tossed at your house.... Any input on the West Ashley area?

Thank you
We came from a town in RI where crime was very minimal and we wanted to buy a home in the Charleston area where crime wasn't rampant. We chose West Ashley and recently bought in the Bees Ferry Rd area. There are some areas of West Ashley that are a little dicey so you have to be careful. I like the convenience of living close to Charleston, but not having to pay higher prices on homes like you might have in Mt Pleasant. I think alot depends on whether you have children that will be attending school and Mt Pleasant has a better public school system. So far we are happy with our choice in West Ashley. We have grown children so schools weren't an issue for us. Good luck with your search!!

Old 08-22-2010, 04:33 PM

Our children are 18 and 25 so school is not an issue. I will look up the area you listed.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,093,350 times
I moved down here 20 years ago from S. Jersey, Egg Harbor City, wouldn't go back for any amount of money.....

Old 08-22-2010, 05:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 4,832,093 times
Mount Pleasant is more like what you said, very little crime mostly domestic.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I moved down here 20 years ago from S. Jersey, Egg Harbor City, wouldn't go back for any amount of money.....

Do you live in West Ashley?

Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,910,202 times
Quote:
Our children are 18 and 25 so school is not an issue. I will look up the area you listed.

Thank you for your reply.
We live in Grand Oaks Subdivision and it not a new developement but there are newer subdivisions in this area and from what I hear more are planned. We liked the looks of Grand Oaks as it is an established neighborhood with lots of trees and many of the newer subdivisions have few trees. There are several subsections of Grand Oaks. We are in the Moss Creek subsection and it's very nice. A mix of families and retirees, exactly what we wanted. There's a neighborhood park, swimming pool, miles of walking trails and lots of wildlife. Our particular neighborhood has sidewalks throughout the neighborhood. Prices run from the upper 100's to the mid 300's for homes here.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
We live in Grand Oaks Subdivision and it not a new developement but there are newer subdivisions in this area and from what I hear more are planned. We liked the looks of Grand Oaks as it is an established neighborhood with lots of trees and many of the newer subdivisions have few trees. There are several subsections of Grand Oaks. We are in the Moss Creek subsection and it's very nice. A mix of families and retirees, exactly what we wanted. There's a neighborhood park, swimming pool, miles of walking trails and lots of wildlife. Our particular neighborhood has sidewalks throughout the neighborhood. Prices run from the upper 100's to the mid 300's for homes here.

Thank you for the names of some of the developements. We are pool people and would like to find something that we can put a pool in our yard. We will be renting for the first year so that would give us time to find something that would allow us to put a pool after we buy.

Thank you again for the help, it is hard not knowing where you are going.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,093,350 times
Quote:
Do you live in West Ashley?
Summerville, used to be like Mayberry up here, but not so much anymore, still a great place to live with the good government schools, but the wife and I are moving out into the country.....

I don't much care for West Ashley, too close to the city and hustle and bustle....

Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,018,469 times
Quote:

Thank you
Lots of mis-info re: crime and education here.

If you check SC is at the top (#1 is their typical place, but this year they have 'fallen' to #5) (5th highest) crime rate in the nation.

Charleston metro mirrors the state: the only zipcode that is as safe as the randomly selected USA ziocode is 29401 (Battery and SNOB country; SNOB= Slightly North Of Broad), ALL others (including Mt Pleasant) have crime rates > the average.

'Best' public schools there are mediocre at the most generous.
Charleston Co. schools integrated in the early 70's, and largely segregated by the early 80's, as whites pulled their kids from the public system to put their kids in lilly-white private academies. And lack of funding for public ed is a direct result.

SC's is #51 (behind DC) in edcuation as measured by graduation rate (50%).

And, of course, there is a strong correlation betwixt poor edcuation and increased crime rates.

I grew-up West Of The Ashley (note the now-anachronistic way I refer to the area). It was once the nearest that Charleston had to a Middle Class area. But that was largely due to a police policy that hasseled any blacks (except for maids/other workers) who walked/drove in the area.
Today it is a collection of some nice areas, some not so nice, and a lot of commercial strip development that would make a maggot puke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area