U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 05:21 AM

844 posts, read 1,074,149 times

Advertisements

Thought it might be interesting for the folks who have just moved here, to read about experiences with hurricanes we've had in the past.

I was here for Hugo (we ought to have T-shirts for that!); lived on James Island in Clearview then, and worked at Roper. We boarded up the house and hunkered in at my fiancee's apartment in North Charleston for the storm. Couldn't get back on James Island for 3 days; followed National Guard in, and got lost in my neighborhood. Trees and lines down everywhere, hard to recognize anything. The flood line ended about 3 doors down from my house, so no water in the house. Roof damage, bay window blown out, and fencing gone. We had no water for about 10 days, and then when it was turned back on, you couldn't drink it for the pine tar taste. No electricity for about 2 weeks.

Working at Roper, I was expected to return to work within 3 days; driving to Charleston early morning was eerie - no lights - I mean NO lights. Coming over the West Ashley bridge, the only lights in the city were the lights from the hospitals. Driving around was dangerous; I remember seeing former Chief Ruben Greenberg directly traffic one day.

We couldn't get in the front door of Roper; there was a boat from the marina parked on the steps. Had to go through the ER doors, where there were National Guardsmen with automatic rifles guarding the doors.

It was a truly devastating storm, and I believe it changed the face of Charleston forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 AM

23,064 posts, read 12,285,205 times
Never lived through a hurricane but from folks that have, the usual comment is that surviving the storm is one thing, living in the aftermath is another. They say that is enough of a reason to get out. Sure, sure you can survivive the storm but do you want to be without water and electricity...and of course the safety issue.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:30 AM

1,889 posts, read 4,831,111 times
I lived through a lot of storms being that I have lived in Key West/Miami and NC coast. One year whne I lived in the keys we evacuated 3 times in two weeks. Hugo being the worse for me though. I lived in Charlotte and we had no power for a week so we couldn't work. Trees down everywhere and the city was like a bomb went off. At the time I was in my young 20's so it was all a party for us but it was scary too. I lived alone and remember hearing the tornados outside and having a panic attack in a small dark hot bathroom by myself.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:36 AM

75 posts, read 165,911 times
So what do you suggest for someone new to SC from the midwest?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:11 AM

17 posts, read 25,367 times
When a hurrican hits, where do you want to be (depending on the strength)? Is it ok just to head to Summerville, or do you want to be out of the state when it hits?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:44 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,966,646 times
Cat1 or Cat2 storm isn't bad at all as far as wind. Much of this area is prone to flooding, so be prepared for more water than usual.

A Cat3 storm is "heading up the road" time for me. This is based upon my experience of living my entire life in North Carolina. Board up the windows and head west...south west is "usually" preferable. The storms normally track north west.

Other than one storm 30-some years ago (Hugo), South Carolinians don't have very many hurricane stories. A Cat4 storm is destructive...and somewhat the "worst-case-scenario". Hugo was bad, but any storm that's a Cat4 or Cat5 is going to be bad.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,089,605 times
I was on a submarine 150~300' below Hugo....

We were chased back to NJ by David....

I rode my motorcycle up to the mountains for Floyd, I think that was the one....

Most of the rest I have ridden out....

Old 08-29-2010, 03:13 PM

1,889 posts, read 4,831,111 times
We will stay for a 1,2,3 but probably leave for a 4 or 5. We have to think about the kids so it wouldn't be desirable to be here with no power and possible no water with a 2 and 4 year old.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:32 PM

844 posts, read 1,074,149 times
I remember a lot of folks left and went to Columbia when Hugo was coming in; but the storm ploughed right through the state and hit Columbia pretty hard, too, then veered north and hit Charlotte. The best thing to do is watch the weather reports; they'll have a pretty decent idea of the path the storm is going to take once it makes landfall. Whatever direction you head out toward, just be sure you're going away from the storm's inland path.

If you're going to stay, be sure to be prepared. There are hurricane guides with lists of supplies, and important phone numbers available in the grocery stores, and on the TV station's websites. A generator is a good thing; lots of powerful flashlights and batteries; lots of water, not only for drinking, but washing up. Canned goods, nonperishables, evaporated milk or 'Parmalot'.

Be sure to tell a family member/friend out of the area what your plans are, and be sure to check in with them afterwards to let them know how you are. As I remember, the phone lines never went down during Hugo - my ditzy sister called for 'storm gossip' while we were trying to patch up a broken window, lol.

I don't think we'd stay past a Cat 1 or 2 at the most, depending on where landfall is. I'm trying to remember - isn't it the eastern side of the storm that's usually the weakest? So, for example, if the eye of the storm made landfall, say in Edisto and headed northwest, I'm thinking that Charleston and Mt Pleasant wouldn't get the worst brunt of the storm. (Please chime in, more knowledgeable folks )

Old 08-29-2010, 06:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,407,604 times
Been through (not in this order)

Bob - Bertha (2x) - Bonnie - Charlie - Gloria - Gabrielle - Gustav - Gordon

Don't think I got them all?

I will tie myself to a pier again for a Cat 1,2 or 3. A 4 I would throw a Hurricane Party. A 5 I would anchor myself to my home and hope it was still standing.

I AM NOT LEAVING! I love & chase these things!

Still hoping Earl turns West....Crossing fingers Fiona makes her move this way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area