Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 03:03 PM

75 posts, read 183,888 times

Advertisements

Just a warning. I just moved here from MI. My hubby is still in MI and I found out today that he is "uninsureable!" because of diabetes. This may mean a move back home for me but this wasn't something I researched before moving here. Never had issues in MI so be careful and research insurance first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 PM

435 posts, read 834,932 times
Why? Health care reform passed, the insurance company can not (I hope) deny health care due to pre-existing condition.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
Might be your carrier I have never heard of that before.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:21 PM

75 posts, read 183,888 times
I had 3 people tell me that he would only be covered if I signed up for group health as my spouse but our company only reimburses private insurance and they said i can't add him to my policy so that means he can't quit his job in MI to move here unless I get my company to switch to group.

I will keep looking though. Maybe I got some bad info.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaraeb123 View Post
Just a warning. I just moved here from MI. My hubby is still in MI and I found out today that he is "uninsureable!" because of diabetes. This may mean a move back home for me but this wasn't something I researched before moving here. Never had issues in MI so be careful and research insurance first.
People should research health insurance rates and availability WELL BEFORE they move ANYWHERE. One should NEVER assume that health insurance situations in one state will be the same in another state.

As an independent insurance agent who does mostly health insurance, it never ceased to amaze me how many people would move to the area where I moved from and call me after explaining they had decided to move to the area to retire and called me expecting to be told there were several plans and options available to them at great low rates --- only to be told just the opposite!

Here is a general rule of thumb. The better states where you will find more choices and carriers doing business will also have high risk health insurance pools. On the other end of the spectrum, the liberal states legislators (like Massachusetts for example and most of the the northeastern states) seem to think it isn't fair to charge higher rates to the higher consumers of medical care. So, rather than establishing a high risk pool so the majority of the rest of the people can get low rates from the private sector, they force all health insurers to take everyone and charge them the same rates. So you find the young healthy family on zero medications paying the same rates as another family with everyone in the family with some sort of problem whether its allergies, asthma, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes. Needless to say, you also find fewer carriers in these states and rates are like mortgage payments for high deductible plans.

The good news is that your husband can still get insurance from the high risk health insurance pool. He may be uninsurable through private insurers however. Here is the link to the high risk pool plan administered by SC Blue Cross SC Health Insurance Pool

Old 08-30-2010, 07:36 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaraeb123 View Post
I had 3 people tell me that he would only be covered if I signed up for group health as my spouse but our company only reimburses private insurance and they said i can't add him to my policy so that means he can't quit his job in MI to move here unless I get my company to switch to group.

I will keep looking though. Maybe I got some bad info.
If your husband is on a group plan now, if he can go on COBRA when he officially leaves where he is working, then private carriers will HAVE to offer him GUARANTEED ISSUE coverage because he will have had proof of prior coverage for at least 18 months and exhausted his COBRA coverage (and basically has no other options). However, this coverage isn't guaranteed to be great coverage nor affordable. The idea is he can probably get more coverage for his money getting coverage in the high risk pool.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM

435 posts, read 834,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Here is a general rule of thumb. The better states where you will find more choices and carriers doing business will also have high risk health insurance pools. On the other end of the spectrum, the liberal states legislators (like Massachusetts for example and most of the the northeastern states) seem to think it isn't fair to charge higher rates to the higher consumers of medical care. So, rather than establishing a high risk pool so the majority of the rest of the people can get low rates from the private sector, they force all health insurers to take everyone and charge them the same rates. So you find the young healthy family on zero medications paying the same rates as another family with everyone in the family with some sort of problem whether its allergies, asthma, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes. Needless to say, you also find fewer carriers in these states and rates are like mortgage payments for high deductible plans.
Wait, so insurance companies want their pool to be high risk? What you said don't even make sense. Most diseases you mentioned are all OLD AGE diseases, and everyone eventually will get it assuming you live long enough. Massachusetts has statewide health insurance which is funny because everyone complains about it yet none of them want to lose it. Oh btw, Hawaii also have state mandated health insurance, guess who praised it after his fat ass emergency room visit before he found out the hospital is run by the government.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:36 PM

17 posts, read 28,236 times
I am self employed and wanting to make the move out to Charleston area, I currently have to pay for my own insurance. What are some recommended ways to get a quote and find out what our options are for health care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area