U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 PM

42 posts, read 221,387 times

Advertisements

Hi I was wondering if you had any advice. I am planning on exploring the Charleston area and will make a visit soon. I'm thinking about moving there or to Wilmington NC area. I'm single and would rent a nice place for a while until I get to know the area well and figured out exactly where I want to buy.

1) Is living in Charleston a fun and nice place to live? Lots of things to do, cultural, restaurants, bars and social place?

2) If I also wanted to rent a slip and eventually get a boat would it be convenient to live downtown and then drive to a marina or would be living in a nice condo etc at a marina be a higher quality of life way to go?

I like living in places where i can walk to eat,drink, coffee etc that appeals to me a lot. But also leaning towards marina living if i get a boat. I have to figure this out for myself. Just wondering if anyone can give me a feel for what Charleston has to offer. I'll have the dough to get set up right.

Appreciate any help and thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 01:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,093,350 times
Marina living in the Charleston area is very expensive, most start north of $500K, then you have the HOA fees on top of that.....

If that isn't an issue then living here will be very fun for you, there are several spots to choose from, personally I would pick the DT Charleston area over Mt P or one of the other islands since you want to be able to walk to the hip spots to be.....

Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM

42 posts, read 221,387 times
thanks a lot. Could you tell me names of a couple marina's you recommend for my study. thanks again.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,093,350 times
Here is the google search for the DT area......

charleston sc marinas - Google Maps

I like the City Marina and Ripley's Light, I know there are some real nice condos near the Maritime center also.....

Old 09-01-2010, 02:36 PM

435 posts, read 733,227 times
The older white tower condo next to the aquarium have units around 300k.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,018,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
The older white tower condo next to the aquarium have units around 300k.
Did that used to be called, 'Dockside'?

Talking eons ago (70's)

Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,336,862 times
Dockside has units and a Marina. Ashley house is directly accross Lockwood from the city Marina and it too has come down in price.) I don't think the Bristol ever actually sold out but I never thought it was worth the prices they asked. The condos at Ripley have come down pretty well as have the Albermarle (which is a block from Ripley Marina/drystack.)

Mariners Cay (almost Folly) also has a marina and prices have been coming down there as well. Folly's downtown has really been improving the last few years in terms of being year round and having a little bit of variety. Its one strip but it can work for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area