U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 10:06 AM

3,383 posts, read 6,875,004 times

Advertisements

I have a couple questions about living in SC and Charleston. Going to start googling too.

What is the state sales tax?

Any State Income tax?

Property taxes?

Are there automobile emissions/inspections?

Any other common local things that may SC or Charleston may or may not have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 4,740,222 times
Any State Income tax? Yes

Property taxes? Yes

Are there automobile emissions/inspections? no

Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 AM

115 posts, read 186,632 times
Dear MustangEater82:

"beachme" answered your other questions, but having moved here 5 1/2 years ago from the northeast here are a few things that I miss...

Really good pizza, hard rolls, bagels, rye bread, and a great deli.

However, the quality of life here is worth the sacrifice. And we get our friends to send CARE packages when we are in need!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 AM

167 posts, read 263,200 times
I am researching moving to SC also and found this link to be enlightening . . .

Moving to South Carolina Tax Guide

The annual property tax on vehicles sounds like a scam. Seriously, WTF?

"Personal property tax is collected annually on cars, trucks, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, boats and airplanes, based on their fair market value. If you own a $10,000 car, based on the average millage rate, your personal property tax would be $268."

If my $8,00 car is assessed at $9,000, can I sell it to the state?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 AM

660 posts, read 1,169,847 times
We have fabulous seafood and beaches and low property tax.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 AM

4,465 posts, read 6,849,367 times
My hometown at a glance:

Humid/Subtropical climate; if you want short winters and long, hot summers the Holy City is the place.

Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans are called the 'Three Sisters' due to their similiar and unique architectural styles. That's in a small section of the downtown only. Once out in the burbs, you could be in warm-weather Anywhere, USA.

It is near the ocean. Big whoop, lots of places are.

Yes, tax rates are low.

But low taxes= lousy public services, including education, and poor educational systems= high crime.

So, you get what you pay for.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,936,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I have a couple questions about living in SC and Charleston. Going to start googling too.

What is the state sales tax?

Any State Income tax?

Property taxes?

Are there automobile emissions/inspections?

Any other common local things that may SC or Charleston may or may not have?
There are taxes on clothing and food and humongous property taxes on your car like you wouldn't believe! I moved from where there were no taxes on clothing or food and a lower property tax on my car. Property tax on real estate is not as bad as other areas. The utilities are also higher I think. Water is much higher.

It is a great place to come and vacation...perhaps have a third vacation home here for the spring and fall (definitely not the summer unless you like days with heat indexes of 126 degrees repeatedly like we had this summer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or