Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:23 AM

15 posts, read 64,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefaniek View Post
I was accepted to CofC and am considering it. I live in Atlanta, so I'm used to an urban area. can anyone tell me some "dirt" on cofc though? i can find class sizes, majors, info like that online but im interested in knowing other things. is there a certain type of student who goes here? could anyone feel welcome? is the party scene overwhelming or just enough? are jobs for students easy to find? is greek life really big? anything anyone can say would be great.
My son was also accepted...... at C of C and Clemson.....What he noticed right off the bat..... is that C of C does not have a football team.... Although my son does not play football himself.... he would have liked that there be a team with school spirit etc.... at College of Charleston.... He does play baseball but, being not sure he has the skill level to compete with players that practice all year..... Obviously Charleston town itself sounds much more interesting than Clemson.... although the engineeriing program at Clemson is much more suited to my son's abilities...... The other thing that concerns me is this.... and don't fly off the handle...... the possible potential for overload of religious fundamentalism in the town of Clemson..... Anyone have any thoughts on that????? We're just not that into that....sorry...

Last edited by nyer2013; 02-28-2009 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: sp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 09:42 AM

362 posts, read 995,002 times
I originally posted this question what seems like a lifetime ago. My daughter is now in her freshman year at the University of South Carolina and absolutely loves it! It was a perfect choice for her. Interesting that you mention about the possible lack of spirit without a football team at CofC. That was one of my daughter's concerns,(she wanted the big rah rah football school), and in fact a friend of hers from highschool is transferring from CofC because of that. My D was concerned also about the ruralness of Clemson. Good luck to your son.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefaniek View Post
I was accepted to CofC and am considering it. I live in Atlanta, so I'm used to an urban area. can anyone tell me some "dirt" on cofc though? i can find class sizes, majors, info like that online but im interested in knowing other things. is there a certain type of student who goes here? could anyone feel welcome? is the party scene overwhelming or just enough? are jobs for students easy to find? is greek life really big? anything anyone can say would be great.
''Seeing as your post was from 2007 I would like to enquire what you have found out about the school..... My son was recently accepted..... Being a NYer... he can get along in a big city just fine..... but, Any thoughts on the atmosphere of the town???? If you have any idea re: how it would compare to Clemson where he has also gotten into....

Old 02-28-2009, 01:59 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Warning- Charleston is not a big city. It is definitely urban and has many nice attributes but if he likes a big city we may not cut it. Also the big sport at CoC is basketball. Clemson is actually not that rural anymore- it is really pretty suburban feeling thanks to the 10000 or so apartments that have been built in the last decade. It is however pretty limited as far as restaurants, bars, shopping go. It is very much a cllege town and has the line-up of major sports (football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc) that most people would expect. And football at Clemson really is a culture.

I would think his intended major would be the big draw because Clemson/CoC don't have that much overlap in terms of strong programs. Anything science, math or engineering related will lead you straight to Clemson. It is much stronger. There is a lot more to do in Charleston beyond the college itself which isn't as true for Clemson. I think school visits would be a good idea becuase both schools are pretty straightforward as far as strengths v weaknesses.

As an aside I went to Clemson because it had a strong program in my major; however at times I did wish for something more urban. Looking back I still have friends from both undergrad and grad there but I don't have the burning love for my college town that some people do- except for home football weekends, that is where Clemson really shines.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Warning- Charleston is not a big city. It is definitely urban and has many nice attributes but if he likes a big city we may not cut it. Also the big sport at CoC is basketball. Clemson is actually not that rural anymore- it is really pretty suburban feeling thanks to the 10000 or so apartments that have been built in the last decade. It is however pretty limited as far as restaurants, bars, shopping go. It is very much a cllege town and has the line-up of major sports (football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc) that most people would expect. And football at Clemson really is a culture.

I would think his intended major would be the big draw because Clemson/CoC don't have that much overlap in terms of strong programs. Anything science, math or engineering related will lead you straight to Clemson. It is much stronger. There is a lot more to do in Charleston beyond the college itself which isn't as true for Clemson. I think school visits would be a good idea becuase both schools are pretty straightforward as far as strengths v weaknesses.

As an aside I went to Clemson because it had a strong program in my major; however at times I did wish for something more urban. Looking back I still have friends from both undergrad and grad there but I don't have the burning love for my college town that some people do- except for home football weekends, that is where Clemson really shines.

My son is not looking for a big city or so he says.... that's just what he's used to.....but, he does also have a strong interest in music.... We are also waiting to hear from Tulane..... His grades were not stellar and maybe he won't get in anyway.... and there is way too much drinking in NO I hear..... although he is a teetotaller at the moment.... who knows what 4 yrs. in that city would do. Also, a friend of mine's son just flunked out of a hard program at Vanderbilt.... either because of the drinking or siging up for too demanding a major.... I like what people have to say re: teacher rapport at Clemson. I just don't him to be stifled....

Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
When picking a college I would think that the course of study would be more important than the sports offered by the scool, just my opinion.

Clemson is one of the the best engineering schools in the south, it is also a regular on the Playboy party school lists.

COC, is more liberal arts oriented, but while it doesn't make the Playboy list I still know a few people who graduated from there that say it should.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
When picking a college I would think that the course of study would be more important than the sports offered by the scool, just my opinion.

Clemson is one of the the best engineering schools in the south, it is also a regular on the Playboy party school lists.

COC, is more liberal arts oriented, but while it doesn't make the Playboy list I still know a few people who graduated from there that say it should.

What being on the Playboy has to do with anything I have zero understanding of (definitely not on anyone in my home's reading list I am fairly sure either secretly or otherwise).... still your point about academics is well taken.... We are not aiming toward the "best party scene"..... and hopefully neither is my son.... and I doubt he will even try out for a sport.... but, I like to leave the options open.....

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post

My husband does, claim to also be a libertarian however....

Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Heck if you are going for engineering -- why go anywhere in the south but Georgia Tech. Ranked no. 4 engineering school, ranked no. 1 industrial/manufacturing engineering and in the top 10 public universities nationally. If he is HOPE qualified -- you can't beat the cost of education. Some are scared off by the 'city' life...but like most campuses. You don't have to leave campus and feel like you are in the city at all -- or you can.

Odds are not in his favour...but the reality....most of the boys just aren't in the running so that means he might not be any worse off. <G>.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Heck if you are going for engineering -- why go anywhere in the south but Georgia Tech. Ranked no. 4 engineering school, ranked no. 1 industrial/manufacturing engineering and in the top 10 public universities nationally. If he is HOPE qualified -- you can't beat the cost of education. Some are scared off by the 'city' life...but like most campuses. You don't have to leave campus and feel like you are in the city at all -- or you can.

Odds are not in his favour...but the reality....most of the boys just aren't in the running so that means he might not be any worse off. <G>.

Why not Cal tech... why not M.I.T..... as I have said in previous posts.... he's an underachiever who doesn't try acceptionally hard..... I don't want him going into a program which is too hard or not hard enough....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area