Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 9,181 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am new to the forums, and searched through but didnt really find the info I am looking for. we are looking at moving to Charleston at some point in the spring of '08, and I am wondering about base housing. I have heard that no-one lives there, and wondered why? and I have not been able to find info about the school system, other than what is on the school website. does anyone know what the teachers are really like? specifically, the 8th and 9th grade's. what about the job market? I currently work at the NEX on base, and have noticed that the NEX in Charleston has not had any postings for new jobs in the past 3 months or so. I would like to stay with the nex system, because my husband is planning to stay in the navy till retirement and staying in the nex system would seem to give better job security.

LOL! just realized I am rambling! still working on first cup of coffee =). any info on the weapons station base housing situation would be great! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 03:19 PM

153 posts, read 767,854 times
Just a hunch, but I bet that the reason that no jobs have been available at Chas NWS is the fact that no one wants to leave! Seriously though, job availability could be limited because of the lack of openings. Many people working in the NWS have spent their whole careers there to retire in Charleston.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:43 PM

24 posts, read 138,647 times
There are families that live on the Navy base but it's definitely not crowded. In fact, I was there a few days ago and there is plenty of housing available. However, If I could choose between the Navy housing or the Air Force housing, I would choose the Air Base because they appear nicer, in my opinion.

In regards to the NEX, it is an extremely small facility.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,063 times
By far the best school system in the area is in Dorchester County... basically the Summerville schools. Summerville is not very far away from the NWS. I've seen a bit of the housing on the NWS and they are not particularly great. I wasn't a fan of the AFB housing either, but I think there is a pretty long waiting list for the AFB, anyway. The good news is there is plenty of offbase options and the BAH/BAQ for Charleston definitely takes the cost of living into consideration. The NWS NWX is very tiny but the AFB is a bit bigger. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 PM

528 posts, read 1,509,752 times
I would agree that all of the military families I have helped relocate to our area have found homes off base that are much nicer and reasonable for their families instead of base housing. And, as others have said, if you can stay in Dorchester District II school system, that's the best. (Not to mention close proximity to the base) Have you checked out MilitaryAvenue.com for relocation help?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM

14 posts, read 42,700 times
I have commented elsewhere on this site about Dorchester II schools, they are frankly, one of the key things that drew us to this area.

If you talk with people IN Summerville, you will likely find a widespread perception that the Navy facilities are a long way from homes here, however when you learn your way around you will find that it is not as difficult a commute as many imagine.

Military families I know here often speak positively about what they can get for the money. Feel free to DM me if I can be helpful.

Good luck to you and thanks for your service!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,138 times
Hi, My husband and I will be poss be moving to Charleston soon. Dose anyone have any ideas on houseing for us and our two dogs?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:37 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,416,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnswirl View Post
Hi! I am new to the forums, and searched through but didnt really find the info I am looking for. we are looking at moving to Charleston at some point in the spring of '08, and I am wondering about base housing. I have heard that no-one lives there, and wondered why? and I have not been able to find info about the school system, other than what is on the school website. does anyone know what the teachers are really like? specifically, the 8th and 9th grade's. what about the job market? I currently work at the NEX on base, and have noticed that the NEX in Charleston has not had any postings for new jobs in the past 3 months or so. I would like to stay with the nex system, because my husband is planning to stay in the navy till retirement and staying in the nex system would seem to give better job security.

LOL! just realized I am rambling! still working on first cup of coffee =). any info on the weapons station base housing situation would be great! Thanks in advance.
Good Luck with your relocation. Most of the Navy people I have met/worked with live off base. The housing is not very nice and not the best school district.

I helped a few Navy people in the past and they bought in Liberty Hall Plantation. It's pretty close to the Navy Base. I am sure you could find a few rentals if you can not buy.

If you can't buy a home renting and using your BAH might be a good option.

Good Luck!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,283,962 times
What is your price range?

Will you want to rent or buy?

Do you have kids or care about schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area