U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 15,068,979 times
Reputation: 1351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
"You say in your post that you "would like a warm climate." Well, I can tell you that Asheville, NC isn't the place for you. Having traveled there a number of times in various seasons, I know from experience that it does NOT have a warm climate. The winters there are some of the coldest in the state of NC. If you want "warm climate," Asheville isn't it."

Tom, that is post #1.

It is a statement about Asheville posted on the Charleston, SC, board. Although the title of the post ('Relocation: Asheville, Charleston, Austin') is a bit different (re: subject matter) itself.

I posted info I know about Asheville and Charleston, and how similiar Charleston and Nassau are. That is germane info to people looking to move, or find out about other places, as I'm sure is quite obvious to anyone who has ever moved from one place to another.

If you feel the info I posted is somehow wrong, then state facts to prove I'm wrong.

This is supposedly a discussion forum about various cities- facts will paint some in a better light than others- not my fault.

I don't think this board is a vehicle for PR campaigns or to hype specific locales, but who knows?
I did point out where you were wrong, the OP did not ask anything about the Bahamas, or Brazil or what beaches you think are the best in the world.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
 
4,048 posts, read 3,275,415 times
Reputation: 5364
RE: Charleston and her "fabled beaches":

Dr. Beach ranked Beachwalker Parker the 8th best beach in the U.S. for 2010. What Dr. Beach says:

Beachwalker Park in Kiawah Island, South Carolina
South of Charleston, Beachwalker Park is the public beach located on the southern end of Kiawah Island. Tennis and golf are featured here, as well as interpretative tours of the fauna and flora of the island. This is certainly a nature-lovers coast, so visitors should pack their canoes and kayaks to paddle through the tidal inlets or walk down to St. Samís Inlet to see thousands of birds. The water is not clear here, but it is clean and provides for fantastic seafood for low-country cooking. Visitors can also pack their bicycles, since the sand is compact enough to ride along the 10-mile long barrier island.

Geechie, 2 other beaches on the list were in Hawaii. I agree that the Charleston beaches cannot compare with the beaches we visited on our several trips to the Hawaiian Islands, especially the one on the north shore of Kaui (if memory serves our favorite was Ke'e).

HOWEVER, my DH, who earns all the money that keeps our lives afloat, cannot reach his many customers from Hawaii, as 90% of his customers are in the SE.

HOWEVER, perhaps the OP, who I believe said they could live anywhere in the US, should consider Hawaii.

One should never assume that people are moving to Charleston because they haven't considered other places....maybe it's just the best choice out of the choices they have.

BTW, I am surprised your cousin did not hear of Asheville's "liberal" contingent before he moved (are we talking about the same segment of the population?). It is pretty common knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
 
4,048 posts, read 3,275,415 times
Reputation: 5364
BTW, where did the OP's post go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
 
4,559 posts, read 7,033,768 times
Reputation: 4198
i've heard that Asheville's downtown is very overrun with homeless now, to the point of it being a very big problem. Comes with growth I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 15,068,979 times
Reputation: 1351
The wife and I went there almost two years ago now during spring break and she felt uncomfortable with the street people.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,007,754 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
RE: Charleston and her "fabled beaches":

Dr. Beach ranked Beachwalker Parker the 8th best beach in the U.S. for 2010. What Dr. Beach says:

Beachwalker Park in Kiawah Island, South Carolina
South of Charleston, Beachwalker Park is the public beach located on the southern end of Kiawah Island. Tennis and golf are featured here, as well as interpretative tours of the fauna and flora of the island. . The water is not clear here, but it is clean and provides for fantastic seafood for low-country cooking. Visitors can also pack their bicycles, since the sand is compact enough to ride along the 10-mile long barrier island.

Geechie, 2 other beaches on the list were in Hawaii. I agree that the Charleston beaches cannot compare with the beaches we visited on our several trips to the Hawaiian Islands, especially the one on the north shore of Kaui (if memory serves our favorite was Ke'e).

HOWEVER, my DH, who earns all the money that keeps our lives afloat, cannot reach his many customers from Hawaii, as 90% of his customers are in the SE.

HOWEVER, perhaps the OP, who I believe said they could live anywhere in the US, should consider Hawaii.

One should never assume that people are moving to Charleston because they haven't considered other places....maybe it's just the best choice out of the choices they have.

BTW, I am surprised your cousin did not hear of Asheville's "liberal" contingent before he moved (are we talking about the same segment of the population?). It is pretty common knowledge.
Couple of things:

When I said 'Charleston beaches', I was thinking of the traditional beaches associated with Charleston- Folly, Sullivans Island, and Isle Of Palms.

Kiawah is not a 'Charleston beach', although I grant you that probably is anachronistic thinking.

"This is certainly a nature-lovers coast, so visitors should pack their canoes and kayaks to paddle through the tidal inlets or walk down to St. Sam’s Inlet to see thousands of birds."

Dr. Beach knows not of where he speaks on this part. Kiawah was the place where my family got away from it all (via boat) in the 50's. I hooked a 5' Tiger Shark when I was six there (true story, but 'off topic' as could be said).

That was back when it was truly a natural place- before the Arabs and the circus came to town.
That's an attitude you might hear among some long-time inhabitants re: the Sea Islands, which SC has exploited to a far greater degree than has neighboring Georgia has with theirs.
It's like how Daufuskie is now hyped as a 'natural' place.

If you ever go on line for music you can probably hear Jimmy Buffett's 'Prince of Tides' song about the rape of Daufuskie (and the other islands) by developers:

'How can you tell how it used to be when there's nothin' left to see?.' is the lyric that sums it up best for me..

Yeah, I understand that there are real world considerations to where we have to reside. Sounds like in your specific case, the SE is the most logical place.

But for some, it might not be so location specific, and my point was/is that if ya like what Charleston, Sous Kahlina (traditional pronunciation) has to offer, and can have some flexibility as to location, then ya might just look at Nassau.

Re: The cuz.

I guess he chose Asheville because traditional Charleston families have always chosen Western NC to vacation- going back to the time when most whites got out of the Holy City and environs between April and November, due to the threat of malaria and yellow fever.

He moved there over a decade ago, and expected that it would be a kind of Jerry Falwell Land, a damn theme park! Guess he just didn't factor in what migration and education can do.

Specific to my bubba, he's a good guy, at least not as nutty as the rest of this generation of our family, and he's just having trouble fitting into the 90's- that's the 1890s.
He and I keep open lines of communications- the positive for me is I get to keep a vestige of family tie, and for him is that he gets input on the thought patterns of us commie heathens- like for example why his daughter married a guy from Finland and chooses to live in the city of Turku, where there is socialism.

Which he just don't get.

Last edited by Geechie North; 09-09-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM
 
4,048 posts, read 3,275,415 times
Reputation: 5364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Couple of things:


Kiawah is not a 'Charleston beach', although I grant you that probably is anachronistic thinking.

Yeah, I understand that there are real world considerations to where we have to reside. Sounds like in your specific case, the SE is the most logical place.

Re: The cuz.

I guess he chose Asheville because traditional Charleston families have always chosen Western NC to vacation- going back to the time when most whites got out of the Holy City and environs between April and November, due to the threat of malaria and yellow fever.

Yeah, Charlestonians founded Flat Rock, NC, which is actually where we lived. Cute little place.

Re: Dr. Beach, some of his choices do seem strange to me....not sure how you wouldn't have one of the panhandle beaches--with their sugar white sands and clear water--on the list, but whatever.

And I have to say that Beachwalker Park should be called a Charleston Beach....it is now the closest beach to us since we moved from rat-infested IOP. (Well, technically, Folly might be closer, but not with traffic.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 02:26 PM
 
4,048 posts, read 3,275,415 times
Reputation: 5364
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
i've heard that Asheville's downtown is very overrun with homeless now, to the point of it being a very big problem. Comes with growth I guess...

Don't know for sure...but I would guess it is more the LACK of growth that is the problem. Western N.C. lacks, and has always lacked, economic stimulus and it is even worse now. There's some agriculture, there's tourism, a couple of colleges, and the people who support those (doctors, lawyers, whatever). Lots and lots of retirees because it's great to live there but not if you have to find a job. But that could be a whole other thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 02:27 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,007,754 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
And I have to say that Beachwalker Park should be called a Charleston Beach....it is now the closest beach to us since we moved from rat-infested IOP. (Well, technically, Folly might be closer, but not with traffic.)

Wait 'till they turn Hwy 17 into an interstate:

Then you'll see a replica of the Miami-Melbourne corridor, and ALL the beaches will be just a hotdog stand away from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 PM
 
Location: On a Farm & by the sea
1,091 posts, read 2,502,253 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Charleston and Asheville Comparative Crime Ratios per 100,000 People
Oh my gosh.... surprisingly grim stats but, like in other metro locations, I'm sure it is mostly located in "pockets" like North Charleston. Hopefully with greater economic development there will be resources to bring crime more under control. Charleston is beautiful and a city which will always be in my heart because I married my sweetheart there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top