Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:04 PM

528 posts, read 1,513,991 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the area! Summerville is a great place...definitely different from Washington. Hopefully your family will enjoy the offerings here and get plugged in quickly. My recommendations for Summerville developments that are older and more established...Gadsden Manor, Ashborough, Ashborough East, Coosaw Creek, Gahagan, Historic District, Huntington Farms, Pine Forest Country Club, Newington Plantation, Tea Farm, and Trotters Ridge. (To name the ones that quickly pop to mind.) Let us know as you get more into your search and you have more questions.
Sincerely,
Foster Smith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Welcome... even though I don't live there either.

but looking into it. Its going to be interesting being in a new place.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 PM

92 posts, read 208,349 times
We lived in Washington too and transferred to Charleston with Boeing. We've been in the Charleston area for 7 months now and we definitely like the area but I can say that we definitely prefer life in WA over SC, but that's our personal preference. Folks here in the Charleston area are very different from what we were accustomed to in WA, there are both pros and cons...I'll just leave it at that. We considered Mt Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, and Moncks Corner when we started out looking for a house. We stayed in Mt Pleasant for a good 6 months and that area left a bad taste in our mouths. We ultimately ended up buying in Moncks Corner and love where we ended up.

We looked around Summerville quite a bit and Newington Plantation was one neighborhood that really stood out to me. Nice, established neighborhood with older homes and lots of families.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,782 times
Hi luckylady1,

I might be doing a look/see visit soon. I am very nervous about leaving the PNW. My husband has already relocated and I am slow to follow...hard to leave home and all my friends. Anyway, he has done the house hunting and the Kings Grant neighborhood is his favorite... We have major differences of opinion on where to live...I am more of a city girl and not a suburban person.

I'd be happy to talk to you and swap what we have learned about the area. BTW, we share the same name!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:56 PM

486 posts, read 996,826 times
Don't forget the Irongate, Quail Arbor, and Brandymill neighborhoods. I think they all attend the new Ashley Ridge H.S. also.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 AM

115 posts, read 222,063 times
Dear GoGlobal:

Take your time looking around. There are quite a few really nice neighborhoods around.

Kings Grant is a good one. While it isn't "city", I don't think that I would call it "suburban" either. And it's still close enough to downtown Charleston that you can be there in about 15 minutes (not a rush hours).

And relax...you will probably love living here!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:02 AM

27 posts, read 68,305 times
One more week and we will be visiting our new home! I am so excited. Where is the best place to get shrimp and grits?

Old 10-03-2010, 01:02 PM

75 posts, read 183,924 times
How did you get in to Boeing? Any suggestions? I moved here in June and my husband is still in MI and since he is a production supervisor, Boeing would be wonderful for him.

You will love it here!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM

27 posts, read 68,305 times
My husband has been with Boeing for 14 years so this was an internal job transfer. I would suggest applying at the boeing web site.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 AM

115 posts, read 222,063 times
Dear luckylady1:

Shrimp and grits? I moved here from CT about 5 1/2 years ago. If anyone ever suggested back then that I would even try shrimp and grits, I would have spent the rest of the day laughing.

When I recommended Oscar's in Summerville as a very good restaurant to a few of my out-of-state clients, a number of them told me that Oscar's had the best shrimp and grits that they had ever had.

Reluctantly, about 2 years ago I ordered the shrimp and grits at Oscar's one evening. FANTASTIC! I've been back there about 10 times since then, because they have a very good menu. However, when the waiter comes to take my order I always end up ordering their shrimp and grits again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area