Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotheocean View Post
Holy crap geechie! Glad you are recovering! You are obviously pretty dang tough!

Ahh hiking to the deer stand - brings me back to my childhood - hiking through mudddy fields on gma & gpas farm - in bright orange to bring my mom, dad & brother coffee & breakfast! I was the family disappointment - I'll shoot the guns but no animals especially not anything as pretty as a white tail deer! I ate the crap out of vension though! Wish you could buy it at stores down here?
Thanks.

SC (going off memory) has the longest deer season in the country, BUT:

1. They are not true deer, but mice with antlers- scrawny little things.

2. Even the few people I knew who did hunt deer in the Lowcountry would never go hunting until about late Dec- early Jan, as there are so many worms/parasites in the local whitetail population until it gets 'cold'.

3. Hunting is very ritualized and done by club. Result is far fewer (by %) hunt deer because unlike here you don't just go out to the stand on the back 40, or else drive pa's land.

Venison was a staple at my cousin's-wife's family in Awendaw. But they were the exception from my experience.

As for myself, I bow hunt (or I used to, anyway). Gun-deer season is something I'll do- but only every so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 02:25 PM

120 posts, read 256,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Thanks.

SC (going off memory) has the longest deer season in the country, BUT:

1. They are not true deer, but mice with antlers- scrawny little things.

2. Even the few people I knew who did hunt deer in the Lowcountry would never go hunting until about late Dec- early Jan, as there are so many worms/parasites in the local whitetail population until it gets 'cold'.

3. Hunting is very ritualized and done by club. Result is far fewer (by %) hunt deer because unlike here you don't just go out to the stand on the back 40, or else drive pa's land.

Venison was a staple at my cousin's-wife's family in Awendaw. But they were the exception from my experience.

As for myself, I bow hunt (or I used to, anyway). Gun-deer season is something I'll do- but only every so often.
Good to know - I was talking to my dad about hunting down here this winter when he comes to visit. I think I will just have him try to send me some of that yummy corn fed MN venison.

Although I have only been here since Feb. I have yet to see a deer - wasn't even sure if they were white tail or mule down here. I was watching for them tho on my way out to the wildlife refuge at 6:15 am last friday!

And umm yeah it was the back 43 to be exact & my grandparents were ma & pa to my dad!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotheocean View Post
Good to know - I was talking to my dad about hunting down here this winter when he comes to visit. I think I will just have him try to send me some of that yummy corn fed MN venison.

Although I have only been here since Feb. I have yet to see a deer - wasn't even sure if they were white tail or mule down here. I was watching for them tho on my way out to the wildlife refuge at 6:15 am last friday!

And umm yeah it was the back 43 to be exact & my grandparents were ma & pa to my dad!
Deer hunting in SC is more like fox hunting in Jolly Olde England than it is like the stuff you see in the Upper Midwest.

Anyway, because of the cover (thick woods) and marshes of the Lowcountry you won't see the deer like you do back home.

It's also why they hunt deer with dogs down there.

Again, nothing like up here.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:07 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Some hunt with Dogs in the Low Country, once you get out of the midlands they don't use dogs....

There are some still hunt clubs here as well as some hunting preserves that offer larger managed herds....

Old 09-17-2010, 07:19 AM

120 posts, read 256,177 times
Hunting deer with dogs?! I've never heard of that... I guess it makes sense - in MN if the corn is still in the fields come hunting season they are much harder to find. My dogs would be fantastic deer hunting companions - at my in laws up in VA they go crazy in the 3 acre yard as deer pass often!

I assume these hunt clubs down here are private or member only though right?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Yes members clubs, membership runs from $500~$1500 a year.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area