U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:17 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,713,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotheocean View Post
15'!! How old are they to get that big?

Although I could never kill an animal I understand the need for population control. Same with the deer up north - rather have them shot & die quickly than starve to death over the winter because the population out numbers the available food.
One reason for deer overpopulaton is the overhunting of their natural predators, some to near extinction, such as the wolf and mountain lion. Another reason is the deforestation and overpopulation of humans and our sprawl into their home environments (new home developments, shopping malls, highways, etc.). We like to tell ourselves that we are doing the deer a favor by hunting them, but...I take no issue with people who hunt, particularly those whe hunt to live (rather than live to hunt), I just have never really bought into the whole "if it weren't for us hunters the poor animals would be in a pickle" idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:48 PM

120 posts, read 222,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
One reason for deer overpopulaton is the overhunting of their natural predators, some to near extinction, such as the wolf and mountain lion. Another reason is the deforestation and overpopulation of humans and our sprawl into their home environments (new home developments, shopping malls, highways, etc.). We like to tell ourselves that we are doing the deer a favor by hunting them, but...I take no issue with people who hunt, particularly those whe hunt to live (rather than live to hunt), I just have never really bought into the whole "if it weren't for us hunters the poor animals would be in a pickle" idea.
I think you have to consider the area to make these assumptions - I am speaking of a particular area. Ever been to rural southern minnesota? Not going to find a mountain lion there - possibly a wolf but I never saw one in my 21 years there & we are very much an outdoors family - they live mostly up north. Also I'm about 90% sure they are still "protected" in MN. As far as sprawl - thats actually a bit humorous... not a large mass of people rushing to live southern MN. There is little to no sprawl - regardless plenty of space for them. MN winters are harsh & food is scarce for deer especially because of their diet - going to reiterate I would much rather they not suffer a painful slow death by starvation.

Hunt to live? Kind of an antiquated statement if you live in the US. But my family does enjoy every bti of the venison that comes from the deer as well as the hides.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,048,414 times
What pvjd is trying to say is that before man arrived there were natural predators, packs of wolves roamed freely all over Mn. cougar/Mt. Lion/Puma or any of the hundred or so names for the big North American cats used to roam the hills and mountains maintaining a balance.......

The same was true in the south for the gator and wolf, not so much the big cats.....

These top tier predators kept the population prey population in check, introduce man to replace and kill most of these predators and the population explodes....

Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 PM

22,567 posts, read 12,097,308 times
yup if we truly honored the circle of life.....nature.....man would be allowed to do what it is inclined to do...but.....

Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 PM

339 posts, read 1,048,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I have alwasy been freaked out about freshwater. I prefer the ocean, even living in the shark bite capital of the world right now(Volusia County, FL) and understanding whats out in the ocean, but freshwater freaks me out.
I agree - and if the gators aren't bad enough - the really little things in warm water lakes will get you. Things like amoebic meningitis will keep me out of fresh water - and in ocean water or in the pool.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:36 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,713,351 times
Like OTC said, I am referring more to when there were an abundance of these animals. It wasn't too long ago that the wolves were hunted out of fear to near extinction> Plus, even in places like Montana, the natural habitat is decreasing which makes less space for the animals, thus the appearance of overpopulation. I can see your point though, considering that Montana is definately not like an Atlanta suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area