Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:30 AM

339 posts, read 1,166,751 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a home with an easy communte to the Boeing plant. We like the Sable homes at Branch Creek and the Ryland Homes in the Taylor Plantion. The Sable development is a bit far but we really like the quality.

If anyone can give me some feed back on Ryland homes or suggest another community that is close to the airport - that would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,197 times
Ryland does a very nice home for the money and Taylor Plantation is very nice. Unless things have changed since my last sale in there, they do not have any amenities... pool, clubhouse.

There is some new/newer homes in Wescott Plantation and also Cedar Grove is nice . They may be done building in Cedar Grove.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,331 times
Ryland does a good job in Taylor Plantation. You just need to keep up with them on phase inspections during the building process and make sure they pay attention to their subs and the finer points/details of the home's finish. I'd recommend that with any tract home builder though. It's much easier to get something fixed when you catch it, as opposed to 4 months later. Taylor Plantation is certainly a good location for Boeing Plant employees.

However, just how close do you want to be to work? You could be in West Ashley or Hanahan just off 526 and still be within 15-20 minutes to the plant. Just a thought.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post

However, just how close do you want to be to work? You could be in West Ashley or Hanahan just off 526 and still be within 15-20 minutes to the plant. Just a thought.
Can you recommend a development in either of these locations?

Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,893 times
In Hanahan there is Tanner Plantation. Newer homes are built there. If you are looking for an older home look at Dominion Hills.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 AM

West Ashley
(new construction still going on in...)
Carolina Bay
Grand Oaks
Shadowmoss

Hanahan (new construction still going on in...)
Tanner Plantation

Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 PM

209 posts, read 534,079 times
I personally do not like the area around Branch Creek. It has a feel of "other side of the tracks" as you approach it, though I'm sure the neighborhood itself is fine. Plus, it's difficult to get to with the roads around it (Berlin Myers Pkwy, especially, and 17A), VERY busy.

From Taylor Plantation it is a much easier drive to Boeing, but no matter where you live, you'll still have to deal with the busy Dorchester Road corridor in front of the Air Force Base. They are trying to upgrade the feeder roads around the airport, but that's still several years off. I know people who live off of 17A near the shopping centers and it takes them 45 minutes to an hour to get to Boeing.

As DJ mentioned, we hired a third-party inspector to double check everything as our Ryland home was built. Throughout the process he told us that he was impressed with the quality, fit, and finish. In the areas where my standards were higher than his, I've had almost no push-back from Ryland (except in a few instances, and those were handled by dealing with someone higher up the food chain). Now that we've been in 3 months and are dealing with the warranty division I've been very impressed with their follow up and attitude of not putting up with shoddy work or poor customer service from their subcontractors. I actually think that their bathroom countertop shop is in danger of losing Ryland as a customer due to how they've handled a repair of mine (missing appointments, pushing me to the back burner, not cleaning up). The Ryland guy has been on top of it and threatened to get someone else to fix it and bill them, when magically they appeared. Ryland also replaced a tree that they didn't have to (outside of the tree warranty).

It's not a custom home, but we were able to customize it enough to make it feel like it's "ours." The other things we are changing as money becomes available. We've already poured a larger patio in the back, moved some landscaping plants they installed (with HOA permission of course), and installed a fence. Additionally, we installed deeper shelving in the pantry and linen closets, and I have ordered roller shelves to replace the stationary shelves on the base cabinets in the kitchen. Next will be driveway extensions so I don't have to get out of my car into the grass.

Good luck with your decision!

PS -- 110 days -- that's the time it takes from slab to closing.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 PM

Inspect, inspect, inspect saves your butt every time.

I felt like the area would be nice for walking the dogs - how are the walking trails?

110 days? Ok that means even if I sell my house in Alabama this week (need to sell before I buy), won't be in my new house until after Christmas. No worries - I've always wanted to rent a cabin some place in the mountians for the holidays

Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
There are lots of walking trails in the National Forest, I don't know about in this particular subdivision...

Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 AM

Oh, and if you're going to buy in Taylor Plantation, and want someone to "keep an eye" on the builder/subcontractors, I have a pretty good recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area