U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 PM

448 posts, read 1,267,008 times

Advertisements

Good Evening. My husband is going to convention (work related) at Isle of Palms the third week of October. I am planning to tag along. I've done a little research on Charleston and I am very interested in some of they city tours. Are the tours pretty similar or are there one or two shining stars that are the best?

Are there any other tips for good activities during the day to keep a solo visitor busy?

Is it too cool for the beach in mid/late October?

Any suggestions on nice romantic date spots, resturants/ dancing/ nice evening/ night walking spot?

Thanks so much. I am really looking forward to the vacation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 AM

2,525 posts, read 7,189,040 times
Mid/late October is probably one of the best times of the year to hit Charleston. The water is still warm, the weather is still fantastic, and it's not overly crowded. Take the carriage tours downtown, go visit the plantations, and then spend the evenings downtown by the Market, Battery, etc., for great restaurants and strolling by the harbor. Enjoy your visit!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 PM

4,083 posts, read 3,295,987 times
Hi,
Just walking around by yourself in the historic sections downtown is really fun....admire the architecture, poke into the shops, get a cup of coffee, etc.

Lots of romantic restaurants but two that come to mind are Circa 1886 and The Library at the Vendue Inn.

Beautiful time of year to visit--enjoy!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 AM

83 posts, read 201,436 times
I agree with Circa 1886 and The Library!! Also recommend 82 Queen. Just walking through Historic Charleston at night with the lit lanterns, old architecture and cobblestone streets is romantic! Just be careful about wearing high heeled shoes, even the sidewalks on main streets are uneven.

You may want to visit this site:

Top 10 Best Charleston Things To Do

You'll find tons of information about what to do in Charleston. Or this link on that site is good too:

Charleston October Events 2010: Things To Do In Charleston October!

Have fun! October is my favorite month in Charleston!!!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,086,895 times
Also check out the charleston city paper.....

Charleston City Paper - Restaurants | Music | Events | Arts | News

Old 09-23-2010, 11:44 AM

Thank you so much fo the responses.

I'm glad to hear I can just tour by myself. I'm tying not to make this a budget buster trip and I would rather spend money in the evening when my husband is done with work related activities.

I am very excited about this trip. We went to Charlotte with the family over the summer and are considering relocating and I really want to check out Charleston and scope it out for what will probably the first of many trips to come if we move to Charlotte.

From what I've read it sounds like such a charming city, with a suprise around every corner. I am an HGTV house hunters junkie and I love the thought of walking around and just admiring the architecture.

I'm also looking forward to a day at the beach by myself, being a stay at home mom of three the thought of being by myself anywhere sounds fun, but at the beach sounds magnificent. I'm glad to hear the weather will be nice. I'm not much of a beach swimmer, but to set around with a good book in some comfortable clothes sounds like the life. There's no beach to be found near KC, where we live.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 PM

120 posts, read 222,772 times
IOP will be a great for a beach day for you - lots of places right on the beach to walk up & have lunch.

Also you should walk from downtown up to the battery & back down. There are signs on a lot of the houses giving the history so it is fine to do without a guide. There are also houses here & there along the way to pay a small fee & get a little tour of the inside & the history.

I just did both of these things with some girlfriends who came down to visit & they loved it!

Also if you & your husband are in Mt. Pleasant stop by one of the bar/restaurants on Shem Creek for an app & a drink to watch the sunset. It's a beautiful spot! I would suggest staying away from Red's Ice House only because it doesn't sound like the scene you are looking for.

Enjoy yourself!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 AM

602 posts, read 1,296,678 times
@famusdarlin~KC is great for many things but beach access is not one of them:-)

Consider your time in Charleston as a "recharging" time.

If you have an iphone or ipod, City Slicker has a walking tour app: Charleston Walking Tours for iPhone and iPod -- City Slicker I have yet to use it as we can't seem to pull ourselves away from the area's beaches.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:13 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,440,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famusdarlin View Post
Is it too cool for the beach in mid/late October?
Depends on the weather, the water will definitely be warm enough - especially after this hot summer we've had in SC, still supposed to be in the 90s today & tomorrow. Typically though, the air temperature has moderated by then into the low to mid-70s, but you could get lucky and get a couple days where it goes back into the low to mid-80s and be just fine. We usually make our last beach trip around the first weekend in October, at least as a day trip where you can go in the water - we sometimes go to the beach in fall/spring and just to walk along the shore or what not.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Depends on the weather, the water will definitely be warm enough - especially after this hot summer we've had in SC, still supposed to be in the 90s today & tomorrow. Typically though, the air temperature has moderated by then into the low to mid-70s, but you could get lucky and get a couple days where it goes back into the low to mid-80s and be just fine. We usually make our last beach trip around the first weekend in October, at least as a day trip where you can go in the water - we sometimes go to the beach in fall/spring and just to walk along the shore or what not.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or