Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM

435 posts, read 834,932 times

Advertisements

Geechie, the bill pretends that it is not regressive with a coupon system which require ANOTHER government agency to run. Even with that, it is still regressive because it lessen the burden of the riches and someone still has to pick up the bill. You see Tom is ignoring my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
You just posted the same thing again, it is not base on "The FairTax"......

It uses the name as a reference but it is not based on the as writen legislation.....

READ THE BILL........

Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
Geechie, the bill pretends that it is not regressive with a coupon system which require ANOTHER government agency to run. Even with that, it is still regressive because it lessen the burden of the riches and someone still has to pick up the bill. You see Tom is ignoring my post.
A coupon system!!!

WTF???

Is this the Government Of The United States, or some damned merchandise game sponsored by General Mills Cereal?

But still, any system based on a sales tax structure IS by definition regressive, and that is that.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
You just posted the same thing again, it is not base on "The FairTax"......

It uses the name as a reference but it is not based on the as writen legislation.....

READ THE BILL........
No need, Tom.

Again, the source I pointed-out is neutral and gives both sides.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 PM

Well,

Even a frickin' semi-invalid like myself can waste only so much time pointing out the Red Traffic Light to the color-blind person, so I'm gone.

Tom, Jimmy, nice talkin' to ya.

But I got wood to split.

Back later.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM

[quote=JimmyCh;15987296]When you are a seller of a good, you have incentive to help buyer cheat. The fair tax act is not complete because it just dump the tax collection on the states without further explanation (am I wrong)? So states have to hire people to get the federal money? Who is going to enforce the penalty? States or the Federal government. We already have a federal agency in place to enforce the law, it is the IRS they will need something to do when the current system is gone, I alread addressed the collection aspect, only two states would have to add anything at all....

The current rate purposed is 23% for all sales. You can do a estimation and you will realize it requires 34% to maintain current federal government income. So you come up short first year, let the government borrowing more money. I didn't calculate the rate, several renowned economists did that, I trust them more than you, you are probably calculating it as an exclusive rate instead of inclusive........

FactCheck.org: Unspinning the FairTax

How about I buy my LV bags over-sea, wait I evade fair tax...California has very serious problem of small business not paying their collected sales tax, and a lot states actually hired private contractors for the collection. You want to mix government with private collection agency, be my guest. If you buy something outside of the country you pay import duties at the border that doesn't change, you actually pay more this way since import duties are higher than the inclusive tax rate.....

The tax is regressive because it tax everything. Yes, it has a coupon system. Guess what, you will need a new agency to give out the coupons. Maybe we can re-hire IRS to do the job. By the way, even with best estimation, you are still shifting tax burdens to the middle income because riches pay less even if they don't cheat.We already have an agency to take care of this it is called the IRS, they will need something to do. It taxes everyone evenly above the poverty line, the poor pay NO taxes at all and the middle class only pay taxes on what they spend above that.....[/quote]

Wasn't ignoring your post, didn't see it.....

Old 09-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
No need, Tom.

Again, the source I pointed-out is neutral and gives both sides.
No it gives generics, "The FairTax" addresses all of those issues, if you actually read the bill you would see that....

Old 09-22-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
A coupon system!!!

WTF???

Is this the Government Of The United States, or some damned merchandise game sponsored by General Mills Cereal?

But still, any system based on a sales tax structure IS by definition regressive, and that is that.
It doesn't use a coupon system it has a prebate system that sends out the taxes you would have to pay up to the poverty level to everyone, if you read the bill you would know this.....

Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 PM

435 posts, read 834,932 times
Yes, prebate if you want to call it. So which agency is going to be managing that...you first need to know individual income level and then process your so call prebate (coupon or rebate :P). I call it coupon is because it is like an all purpose cash coupon from the Federal government.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
Yes, prebate if you want to call it. So which agency is going to be managing that...you first need to know individual income level and then process your so call prebate (coupon or rebate :P). I call it coupon is because it is like an all purpose cash coupon from the Federal government.
The prebate is the same for everyone, it would be administered by the same agency that now handles taxes, it would be handled just like your tax refunds, direct deposit......

If you actually read the bill you would know that the prebate is based on the national poverty level, you get a prebate for all taxes on goods up to that level, therefore you are only taxed on anything you spend above the necessities of life.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area