U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 AM

433 posts, read 521,003 times
Default New or newer homes vs Old

This next trip to the area we hope to not only look but maybe actually find something. We have narrowed it down to Ashborough or Legend Oaks. When I first started researching the area several years ago, I was pretty set on an older all brick home (Ashborough). I thought they would be built better and be stronger in the event of a hurricane or earthquake. Now over time I have found out that in 2003 the building codes for new homes were changed and upgraded to better withstand the hurricanes/earthquakes, with things like hurricane straps for example.

So, I am looking for opinions on which is better.

If we buy an older home we can do most of our own work (cabnets, doors, windows, trim and molding). However, DH has said that he really does not want to start up with that again since we did our current house. I can't really blame him as he does most of the hard work and I help mostly.

If we go with a newer house I would only consider ones built after the new building codes went into effect. I'm still unsure though.

Thanks again for all the great info in these posts they are so helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 AM

433 posts, read 521,003 times
I'm sorry, I was reading the posts on new homes and realize this is a little off track from the original post and ment to start a new one but realized after I posted that I was still on this one.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 PM

509 posts, read 516,527 times
Ive got some REALLY good deals on a few houses in Tanner Plantation that are left in the section we're about done building in. We built the Charleston style houses with the "Rainbow Row" colors and stacked porches etc.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:55 AM

113 posts, read 104,402 times
I would be happy to recommend Ryland. I bought a Ryland home, my parents bought a Ryland home, and a few of my clients have also bought them. Everyone has been pleased.

There are also other builders (that I would recommend) who put together a fine house.

Regarding a commute to Boeing...From Ladson (where I live) you would have about a 20 minute drive at non-peak hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area