U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM

53 posts, read 107,616 times

Advertisements

Looking for comparisons & info. I'm having trouble finding the info I'm seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 AM

661 posts, read 1,201,846 times
I'm originally from Northeastern Connecticut. What kind of comparisons and information are you looking for?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,113 times
Default North Shore MA

I'm curious too about Beaufort area for possible full-time or part-time retirement relocation. Water and marsh views remind me of the North Shore, but with much better weather! Wonder if there's enough going on there to keep us occupied. There surely would be in Charleston, but my guess is that Beaufort would be less expensive.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lisat View Post
I'm originally from Northeastern Connecticut. What kind of comparisons and information are you looking for?
Well, it's difficult to say, but in an earlier query I asked about thriving downtowns. I got Park Circle & West Ashley for answers. I was surprised that in all of the towns in the greater Charleston area that there are only 2 given with downtowns ( four, counting Summerville & Charleston, the two I mentioned in my original question). I guess I'm looking for a town or city with a sense of community, maybe concerts in the park...

Old 09-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpswChris View Post
I'm curious too about Beaufort area for possible full-time or part-time retirement relocation. Water and marsh views remind me of the North Shore, but with much better weather! Wonder if there's enough going on there to keep us occupied. There surely would be in Charleston, but my guess is that Beaufort would be less expensive.
Hi, Ipsw___
Yes, the views are like the North Shores salt marshes & beaches, & the oysters are as good as the clams. Do you fish? My boys have done a lot of that since they moved to the area.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM

3,317 posts, read 4,302,794 times
Beaufort is not necessarily a lower cost of living than Charleston. The nicer parts of Charleston are higher but there are not as many alternatives at the lower price points.

Charleston functions more like a series of intertwined towns. Most of the outdoor concert type events occur at the Family Circle stadium on Daniel Island, Downtown at the baseball diamond, Mt Pleasant at Boone Hall, James Island County Park or Ladson fairgrounds. Sometimes something will happen at Middleton Place or the like. We just did not develop with the town square setups you see in many Northern towns. There is certainly plenty to do but it spreads out fairly evenly accross the area.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Beaufort is not necessarily a lower cost of living than Charleston. The nicer parts of Charleston are higher but there are not as many alternatives at the lower price points.

Charleston functions more like a series of intertwined towns. Most of the outdoor concert type events occur at the Family Circle stadium on Daniel Island, Downtown at the baseball diamond, Mt Pleasant at Boone Hall, James Island County Park or Ladson fairgrounds. Sometimes something will happen at Middleton Place or the like. We just did not develop with the town square setups you see in many Northern towns. There is certainly plenty to do but it spreads out fairly evenly accross the area.
Thank you so much for the info about the concert areas. I will make note of those.
But, no, I wasn't looking for a 'town square' type of downtown, but more of a 'Main St' such as Summerville has. Problem is, I don't want to be 45-60 minutes from the ocean. When I lived on the coast I was never more than 10 miles or so from the ocean, & I don't want to go much beyond that. Right now I am landlocked, & not too happy about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area