U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,670,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Islam, Culture and Women - Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood (http://www.islamfortoday.com/ruqaiyyah09.htm - broken link)

"Anyone wishing to understand Islam must first separate the religion from the cultural norms and style of a society. Female genital mutilation is still practised in certain pockets of Africa and Egypt, but viewed as an inconceivable horror by the vast majority of Muslims. Forced marriages may still take place in certain Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities, but would be anathema to Muslim women from other backgrounds.

Indeed, Islam insists on the free consent of both bride and groom, so such marriages could even be deemed illegal under religious law."

Women in Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In Islam, the sexes are considered equal before God. Allah says in verse 13 of chapter 49 in the Holy Quran: "O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allâh is that (believer) who has At-Taqwa. Verily, Allâh is All-Knowing, All-Aware."[citation needed] At the same time, Islamic law and practice recognize differences between sexes, resulting in different rights and obligations."

Tom,

You're relying way too much on corporate propaganda (which does not gives a rip one way or another about Islam, Christianity, beliefs, etc, but only wants OIL.); That is what is responsible for the plunge in American's view (down from 60% fave in 2004 to 30% today) of Muslims.

Because having been thwarted to a large degree in the Oil War of Iraq (they did get the oil fields privatized, but in a political finger-flip, the Iraqis sold the leases to the Russians and Chinese), corporate America now is going after the consolation prize: Iran.

Muslim women cover their heads because God so directed in His final book, the Glorious Qur'an. The head cover is specifically mentioned in 24:31. This instruction from God is only one aspect of a wider context of purity of thought and action for men and women.

Although men are charged with the responsibility of leadership in Islam too, this is in view of the practical dynamics of human interaction as prescribed by God. It is not because of a curse on women.

Two years ago, 10-year-old Nujood Ali shocked the world when she took herself to court in Yemen’s capital city of Sana’a and asked a judge for a divorce.
After a well publicized trial, she was granted one — and became a heroine to those trying to shine a spotlight on the issue of child brides in Yemen, where more than half of all young girls are married before age 18, mostly to older men.
In 2009, Yemen’s parliament passed legislation raising the minimum age of marriage to 17. But conservative parliamentarians argued the bill violated Sharia, or Islamic law, which does not stipulate a minimum age of marriage.
And because of a parliamentary maneuver the bill was never signed into law.
More than 100 leading religious clerics called the attempt to restrict the age of marriage “un-Islamic”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 AM

4,465 posts, read 4,724,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Muslim women cover their heads because God so directed in His final book, the Glorious Qur'an. The head cover is specifically mentioned in 24:31. This instruction from God is only one aspect of a wider context of purity of thought and action for men and women.

Two years ago, 10-year-old Nujood Ali shocked the world when she took herself to court in Yemen’s capital city of Sana’a and asked a judge for a divorce.
After a well publicized trial, she was granted one — and became a heroine to those trying to shine a spotlight on the issue of child brides in Yemen, where more than half of all young girls are married before age 18, mostly to older men.
In 2009, Yemen’s parliament passed legislation raising the minimum age of marriage to 17. But conservative parliamentarians argued the bill violated Sharia, or Islamic law, which does not stipulate a minimum age of marriage.
And because of a parliamentary maneuver the bill was never signed into law.
More than 100 leading religious clerics called the attempt to restrict the age of marriage “un-Islamic”.
Tom, Which state was the LAST one to recognize divorce?? (Hint: You live in it!)

Yemen sounds a lot like Pickens County.

Covering your head is sure sign of terrorist leanings, fer sure.

Okay all you Hassidic Jews and Portuguese Catholics......... Tom has your number.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 AM

436 posts, read 567,178 times
I don't care what the so called laws are. I've been around many Muslem women from the middle East regions, (one is a neighbor and a few at work and some through mutual friends) and the things they tell me are chilling. All of their stories are so similiar as to what actually goes on in those areas. I've started to read some books written by woman that somehow got away from abusive husbands and made it to the USA. Here there is much support for that kind of thing. There their own families turn on them if they speak out. I don't know if it's the religion or the race but it can't be ignored.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Tom, Which state was the LAST one to recognize divorce?? (Hint: You live in it!)

Okay all you Hassidic Jews and Portuguese Catholics......... Tom has your number.
I am just providing sources to show that it is in their teachings, those are not my words but quotes from the quo ran and other teachings and teachers of islam......

Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:

So you are saying that Hassidic Jews and Prtuguese Catholics are the same as muslim extremists?

Do Jewish and Catholic extremist do this to their women who try to escape?
Attached Thumbnails
Confederate Flag controversy in Brownsville-time-mag-cover.jpg  

Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I know for a fact that in Pickens County they are not blowing up sailors and solders with boats packed full of explosives......

Old 10-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
So you are saying that Hassidic Jews and Prtuguese Catholics are the same as muslim extremists?

Do Jewish and Catholic extremist do this to their women who try to escape?
No, Tom.

You are 180 off.

I was using YOUR linkage of covering heads to terrorism.

Do I need to post examples of violence against women in Christian countries?

Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I know for a fact that in Pickens County they are not blowing up sailors and solders with boats packed full of explosives......
Because there is no Oil in Pickens County................

And where did those explosives for IEDs come from??

Old 10-27-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I don't care what the so called laws are. I've been around many Muslem women from the middle East regions, (one is a neighbor and a few at work and some through mutual friends) and the things they tell me are chilling. All of their stories are so similiar as to what actually goes on in those areas. I've started to read some books written by woman that somehow got away from abusive husbands and made it to the USA. Here there is much support for that kind of thing. There their own families turn on them if they speak out. I don't know if it's the religion or the race but it can't be ignored.

USDOJ: Office on Violence Against Women

Old 10-27-2010, 12:04 PM

32 posts, read 39,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdare View Post
Don't know what to think. We really want to leave DC because the people are so cold and rude. We totally understand how some people are so arrogant to anyone from a small town or southern town. We both grew up in WV in a small town that was pretty backward but I have never heard people talk like this. It is really shocking. We are in our 40's now and want to settle somewhere more relaxed. I have another opportunity in Columbia. Not sure what to do. When we visited Charlotte we turned on the radio and they were screaming about Yankee this and that. I never would have imagined it was like that.
KTDare- If you have an opportunity to come here for a better life, then please do so. I am neither uninformed or prejudice as Geechie North thinks and neither are the majority of people here in SC. I do not tolerate hatred. Maybe you live in a small town that does not have to deal with too much diversity but racism/prejudice is everywhere. A lot of people up North are under the impression that the South is a very backward place. That is not true, I suggest you take a trip down here and see for yourself. You will find the most friendly people in the world. You will love it here!

Thank you OTC for your response and your attachment. I agree with you completely!

Also, about the flag... I would never really get one, it's not my style. I just don't see it as representing racism and the lady has a right to hang one in her property if she chooses to. Heck, I don't even know where Brownsville is..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area