U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:46 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,715,339 times

Advertisements

OTC, that seems like such a stretch, since blacks did not have rights or property during the slave period, and it was based on blacks being an inferior race. I have no issue with you as a person so don't take this is a critique on you. I am not disputing the article you posted if it is indeed true, but that certainly doesn't mean the field was level. Black people were't even allowed to own land or aquire wealth, and it was the wealthy landowners who had slaves. Even the slaves who fought in the Civil War did not do so on an equal plain, it was because they were made to do so by their masters so that fewer lives of "importance" were lost, and they weren't even allowed to really have weapons because of the belief that they would revolt. Most of them had to stay and continue to work and be slaves while the soldiers were at war. Historically, it just doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:10 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,058,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
OTC, that seems like such a stretch, since blacks did not have rights or property during the slave period, and it was based on blacks being an inferior race. I have no issue with you as a person so don't take this is a critique on you. I am not disputing the article you posted if it is indeed true, but that certainly doesn't mean the field was level. Black people were't even allowed to own land or aquire wealth, and it was the wealthy landowners who had slaves. Even the slaves who fought in the Civil War did not do so on an equal plain, it was because they were made to do so by their masters so that fewer lives of "importance" were lost, and they weren't even allowed to really have weapons because of the belief that they would revolt. Most of them had to stay and continue to work and be slaves while the soldiers were at war. Historically, it just doesn't make sense.
That isn't true, Free blacks could own land enter into contracts and even sue whites.......

Blacks that fought on the side of the south fought in most cases on equal footing with the white soldiers, while the ones that fought for the north were segregated into different units.....

Tell me this, if I owned you and I gave you a gun and ammunition what would be the first thing you would do with it, shoot at the people trying to free you or shoot at the person keeping you as a slave? That argument defies logic, lets arm the people we are trying to oppress and get them to fight against the people trying to free them....

Don't believe me look it up, read some of the other listed references......

Those are things that are not taught to people in the government run schools, like I said earlier to the victors go the spoils and the ability to write the history.......

Old 11-03-2010, 01:16 PM

Here is the short Wiki article...

William Ellison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Here is the Article from the Smithsonian.......

Unit 2: Early Industrialization

Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Here is one from Teaching US History....

http://www.teachingushistory.org/pdf...cument_000.pdf

Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Here is the Wiki article on Antoine Dubuclet:

Antoine Dubuclet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,715,339 times
That is pretty odd, but if it really happened...

Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 PM

Here is a facebook link to Black Slave owners.....

Black Slave Owners | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2350966713&topic=2257 - broken link)

Old 11-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
That is pretty odd, but if it really happened...
It is amazing what you can learn when you actually open your eyes and read the truth as it was writen, not as it has been revised.......

Old 11-03-2010, 01:33 PM

The last two lines of that article are the most importan:

"In time, within a relatively short time, the obsolete and economically nonviable institution of slavery would have disappeared. The nation would have been spared awesome traumas from which it would never fully recover."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area