U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
1,195 posts, read 2,866,297 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

you's people is jersey... you people is nyc...

wrong again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2010, 02:21 PM
 
Location: moving to Asheville,NC or Knoxville Tenn
21 posts, read 28,669 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Nazxis died fort their flag, also.

Northern States outlawed slavery; their soldiers dies trying to end that vile instituition.
Souther fought to preserve slavery. Their soldiers died to keep people as chattel.

It's that simple.
Sorry not that simple perhaps you should do a bit more research.Perhaps this will help Slavery in the North
And you are comparing nazis to a fight between the north and the south and you say it was only about slavery...mmmmm very interesting.
I think if you look hard enough you will find many examples of slavery in the north during the time of the civil war.


So it's not that simple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 02:45 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 6,714,635 times
Reputation: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
you's people is jersey... you people is nyc...

wrong again
Various forms depending upon locale:

You'se (also spelled with a phonetic 'use', as my wife's maternal grandmother tended to do), is very common in N. Wisconsin.

But the History of the Reb rag is what is important, here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 02:49 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 6,714,635 times
Reputation: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinness View Post
Sorry not that simple perhaps you should do a bit more research.Perhaps this will help Slavery in the North
And you are comparing nazis to a fight between the north and the south and you say it was only about slavery...mmmmm very interesting.
I think if you look hard enough you will find many examples of slavery in the north during the time of the civil war.


So it's not that simple
Nonsense.

Very few (hardly any slaves in North by the 1830's); Civil War was all about slavery; if you look back up this thread, you'll see another thread which i linked in where I submitted various links to prove that basic point.

I trust if you are serious, you'll read at least some of that.

Your link does not open, fyi.

Last edited by Geechie North; 10-03-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 02:57 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 6,714,635 times
Reputation: 790
American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


"Causes of secession

Main articles: Origins of the American Civil War and Timeline of events leading to the American Civil War

The Abolitionist movement in the United States had roots in the Declaration of Independence. Slavery was banned in the Northwest Territory with the Northwest Ordinance of 1787. By 1804 all the Northern states had passed laws to abolish slavery. Congress banned the African slave-trade in 1808, although slavery grew in new states in the deep south. The Union was divided along the Mason Dixon Line into the North (free of slaves), and the South, where slavery remained legal.[4]"

South Carolinians are tops at making excuses regardless of the facts.

Last edited by Geechie North; 10-03-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
 
Location: moving to Asheville,NC or Knoxville Tenn
21 posts, read 28,669 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


"Causes of secession

Main articles: Origins of the American Civil War and Timeline of events leading to the American Civil War

The Abolitionist movement in the United States had roots in the Declaration of Independence. Slavery was banned in the Northwest Territory with the Northwest Ordinance of 1787. By 1804 all the Northern states had passed laws to abolish slavery. Congress banned the African slave-trade in 1808, although slavery grew in new states in the deep south. The Union was divided along the Mason Dixon Line into the North (free of slaves), and the South, where slavery remained legal.[4]"

South Carolinians are tops at making excuses regardless of the facts.
First off I'm not a carolinian I'm from Ireland and secondly the link works and thirdly we could go on debating this for eternity and get nowhere I was merely pointing out the fact that both flags at that time had accounts of slavery.So i guess what your saying is because the north had less accounts of slavery it was less serious.I could plaster a hundred links on here but it would be futile at this point.

Last edited by Mcguinness; 10-03-2010 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 14,471,662 times
Reputation: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
"And long before Nazi Germany's Josef Mengele, the "Angel of Death," conducted human experiments on Jews at Birkenau and Auschwitz; long before the Tuskeegee experiment that left 399 black men untreated for syphilis from 1932 to 1972, South Carolina had James Marion Sims. Sims, the "father of gynecology," established America's first women's hospital -- the Women's Hospital of the State of New York. He is also credited with founding the Cancer Hospital now known as the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Yet before Sims treated the white and wealthy, he experimented on enslaved black women. Sims performed more than forty experimental operations on an enslaved woman named Anarcha for a prolapsed uterus without anesthesia or antiseptic. Sims' memorial is tucked in a corner of the statehouse grounds next to the Robert E. Lee Memorial Highway plaque." From :' South Caroliina And Her Flag' (posted above).

Tom, in the S.C. section there is a thread about the Reb rag on the State House in Columbia.

I have introduced (via links) numerous sites which disprove what you say.
And what does any of that have to do with the Confederate Battle flag, NOTHING.......

Top Five Causes of the Civil War

Read your American History, while slavery was part of the reason for the war between the states it was not the only reason, not even the main reason......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 14,471,662 times
Reputation: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Nazxis died fort their flag, also.

Northern States outlawed slavery; their soldiers dies trying to end that vile instituition.
Souther fought to preserve slavery. Their soldiers died to keep people as chattel.

It's that simple.
This is just a plain out right lie.....

Emancipation Proclamation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read up on history, the Emancipation Proclamation did not free any slaves in northern states or in border states that did not secede.....

The main reason for the War of Northern Aggression was MONEY and POWER......

As most wars are.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 07:40 PM
 
Location: moving to Asheville,NC or Knoxville Tenn
21 posts, read 28,669 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
And what does any of that have to do with the Confederate Battle flag, NOTHING.......

Top Five Causes of the Civil War

Read your American History, while slavery was part of the reason for the war between the states it was not the only reason, not even the main reason......
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 6,714,635 times
Reputation: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinness View Post
First off I'm not a carolinian I'm from Ireland and secondly the link works and thirdly we could go on debating this for eternity and get nowhere I was merely pointing out the fact that both flags at that time had accounts of slavery.So i guess what your saying is because the north had less accounts of slavery it was less serious.I could plaster a hundred links on here but it would be futile at this point.

I guess you must define 'The North" as the Border States of Missouri (had a civil war within the Civil War, Kentucky, Maryland (only stayed in the Union because of the Union Army; didn't want D.C. cutoff) and Delaware.

Rest had no slaves. By 1804 all had outlawed slavery; some 'contracts' (a handful) persisted until the 1830's. But the North was the "Free States', and to deny this is to deny the truth.

Like I have said, the linked-in thread presents factual sources re: The Civil War, slavery/Jim Crow/ prejudice that continue to this day, anyone wishing to debate those sources, feel free to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top