Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
There's that conspiracy theory rhetoric that the Democrats continuously accuse the Republicans of......it just never goes away.

By the way, that big storm they just had in the Midwest.....it was Bush's fault! Floods, earthquakes, tornadoes?? ALL Bush's doings. That darned Bush - wish he'd get a hobby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHnSPsZshyM

Note the timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
thank you i was going to write that. new york city was one of the largest slave holding areas, as was Pennsylvania and ohio. My university, Brown University of Rhode Island, was built on slave profits since it was the slave ship building and sail making that brought black slaves to America.

so then the american flag should not be flown either it seems.

I always say, as long as they steal money from my pocket to pay for the inferior public schools in this country that i wouldnt send my kids to, then people can fly whatever flag they desire.

No slavery in North after that date.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

No slavery in North after that date.

NONE?!?!?!

I'm sorry but the United States Department of the Census says you're wrong.

Total Slave Population in United States, by State

I will admit that there were a great many more slaves in the South but as you have pointed out, the agricultural economy of the south was reliant on slave labor while the industrial economy of the north was more reliant on machines.

It's funny though that the North didn't start outlawing slavery until AFTER the start of the industrial revolution...

Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown2You View Post
Just as a helpful hint:

If you're going to throw someone under the bus for grammatical errors, you probably should be squeaky clean on your grammar, spelling, and punctuation as well. The post you made above is far from it. I'd suggest editing the mistakes, or editing out the "OBTW" part.

Just saying...
Sorry, I forgot to hit the spell check before I hit post the second time....

Old 10-29-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
NONE?!?!?!

I'm sorry but the United States Department of the Census says you're wrong.

Total Slave Population in United States, by State

I will admit that there were a great many more slaves in the South but as you have pointed out, the agricultural economy of the south was reliant on slave labor while the industrial economy of the north was more reliant on machines.

It's funny though that the North didn't start outlawing slavery until AFTER the start of the industrial revolution...
Of the 1,300,000 (mas o menos) slaves recorded in the 1810 census, less than 1,000 reside in 'Northern' States.

Those 1,000 we remnants- old people whose contracts had been locked in prior to 1800.

And you do know the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 forbade any form of slavery in the area north of the Ohio River.

Northern delegates to the Constitutional Convention tried to outlaw slavery; Rutledge of SC was able to quash the movement by saying no slavery, no South in Union.

The Civil War (1861-65) was fought because the South still had a mindset which treated people as chattel, and the North had moved on.

I trust you know of the Motke (that spelling doesn't look right, I'll correct if wrong) sisters? Garrison?

Abolitionists?

Note: it's Grimke sisters

Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM

486 posts, read 996,733 times
Speaking out about the treatment of woman in these cultures is not imposing the morals of our country on another. I guess we should have just let Hitler keep going too. Perhaps those who murder or rob others should be allowed to roam free so their morals are not imposed on by others. How about bullys while on the subject?

Like I said before, I've had the opportunity to discuss these issues with several woman from that region and the human abuses that go on there, well it's truly chilling. Before you talk about imposing morals, get the facts.

Human rights abuse is just wrong in any country at any point in time, and only gets corrected when it stops being ignored and swept under the rug.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Speaking out about the treatment of woman in these cultures is not imposing the morals of our country on another. I guess we should have just let Hitler keep going too. Perhaps those who murder or rob others should be allowed to roam free so their morals are not imposed on by others. How about bullys while on the subject?

Like I said before, I've had the opportunity to discuss these issues with several woman from that region and the human abuses that go on there, well it's truly chilling. Before you talk about imposing morals, get the facts.

Human rights abuse is just wrong in any country at any point in time, and only gets corrected when it stops being ignored and swept under the rug.
Happens here also.

You did read the link between fundamentalism of ALL religions and domestic abuse?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Quote:
Happens here also.

You did read the link between fundamentalism of ALL religions and domestic abuse?
But it isn't supported by the government and the religious leaders in our country as it is in Islamic countries.......

Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 AM

435 posts, read 835,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown2You View Post
Just as a helpful hint:

If you're going to throw someone under the bus for grammatical errors, you probably should be squeaky clean on your grammar, spelling, and punctuation as well. The post you made above is far from it. I'd suggest editing the mistakes, or editing out the "OBTW" part.

Just saying...
I did it once...you keep repeating.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,387 times
Quote:
Of the 1,300,000 (mas o menos) slaves recorded in the 1810 census, less than 1,000 reside in 'Northern' States.

Those 1,000 we remnants- old people whose contracts had been locked in prior to 1800.

And you do know the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 forbade any form of slavery in the area north of the Ohio River.

Northern delegates to the Constitutional Convention tried to outlaw slavery; Rutledge of SC was able to quash the movement by saying no slavery, no South in Union.

The Civil War (1861-65) was fought because the South still had a mindset which treated people as chattel, and the North had moved on.

I trust you know of the Motke (that spelling doesn't look right, I'll correct if wrong) sisters? Garrison?

Abolitionists?

Note: it's Grimke sisters
So by No slavery after 1804 you meant no slavery except where there was still slavery.

Also, if you count the border states (Missouri, Kentucky,West Virginia, Maryland and Delaware) as part of the Union since they did not secede and Union troops were able to move freely through them, the picture is much different.

Kentucky and Maryland were particularly important to the Union Victory. Between those two states in 1860, there were more than 300,000 slaves

It seems that the Union had no problem with slavery if it served their purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area