U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 AM

174 posts, read 590,978 times

Advertisements

Glad you had a chance to visit Del Webb. Your decision should be based on what's important to you. If you want unlimited activities, friendly people, great support system, sense of community, etc, this is the place. Some people do feel it's far from shopping(market), but that will change soon. We don't feel it's that far since the driving is so easy compared to the North. Therefore, it takes the same amount of time to get places.
When we first moved here, almost 3 years ago, we didn't have a choice what goes into the house. The only decisions we had were color of tile, color of counter tops and color of cabinets, hardwood or tile and size of the tile. We paid a lot for these houses but it did include everything. When the economy went south, they decided to lower the prices and have people decide for themselves what they wanted. Some don't want all we have. All in all, my house is still about 30,000(might not be the exact number) cheaper if you were to get everything we have. So, it's still a good deal. As far as the 219.00 fee, it's well worth it, with all that is here. I have friends from MA that visited here last year and stayed for a week. They thought we lived in the boonies until they visited (must have been from our conversations). They have been living in their house for 40 years and never thought they'd leave. Their house is for sale and are moving here. So, I guess, you have to decide what's right for you and what you are looking for. Feel free to ask any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:58 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,910,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella2 View Post
Glad you had a chance to visit Del Webb. Your decision should be based on what's important to you. If you want unlimited activities, friendly people, great support system, sense of community, etc, this is the place. Some people do feel it's far from shopping(market), but that will change soon. We don't feel it's that far since the driving is so easy compared to the North. Therefore, it takes the same amount of time to get places.
When we first moved here, almost 3 years ago, we didn't have a choice what goes into the house. The only decisions we had were color of tile, color of counter tops and color of cabinets, hardwood or tile and size of the tile. We paid a lot for these houses but it did include everything. When the economy went south, they decided to lower the prices and have people decide for themselves what they wanted. Some don't want all we have. All in all, my house is still about 30,000(might not be the exact number) cheaper if you were to get everything we have. So, it's still a good deal. As far as the 219.00 fee, it's well worth it, with all that is here. I have friends from MA that visited here last year and stayed for a week. They thought we lived in the boonies until they visited (must have been from our conversations). They have been living in their house for 40 years and never thought they'd leave. Their house is for sale and are moving here. So, I guess, you have to decide what's right for you and what you are looking for. Feel free to ask any questions.
Stella2
Thank you very much for your response. No one can give a more accurate opinion on a place than someone who has lived there as long as you have. I think the novelty would have worn off by now if you weren't happy with where you are living. That speaks vloumes to me. My husband and I are here in SC with no family or friends. We do have a son, daughter-in-law and grandson that live in Charlotte, but I often wonder what I would do if something happen to my husband. If I were in a community that gave me some support through difficult times I think I could handle it. I am so happy living here in SC that I would be sad to have to leave if something happen to my husband, but I know my adult children would want me to be with them, which as we all know isn't necessarily what we want :-) We are planning to go to the Regatta at Del Webb on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Maybe we'll see you there. Have a beautiful weekend.
Patty

Old 05-02-2010, 12:09 PM

I understand exactly how you feel. Before we moved here, my husband ask how I would feel if something happened to him and living in a place so far away. ( I never lived anywhere but in MA). We had retired at Cape Cod and I said I'd rather be here than all alone on the Cape. My kids live in Cincinatti, Milwaukee and my daughter had just moved from CA to Matthews (next to Charlotte) 1 year before we moved here. That was just a coincidence. We have quite a few singles here..many of whom are my friends. We also have gained a few singles from death of a spouse. That is bound to happen with the age of of the population. However, they were not that old. I don't feel, I would ever be alone here if my husband died. I would have at the Cape. And, like you, no one wants to depend on your children. It's too bad we won't be here for the regatta(driving to Branson(have never been there and always wanted to go), then to Mikwaukee..leaving on the 22 and coming back June 6th. Everyone at the sales center knows me so let me know when you come again.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,910,897 times
Quote:
I understand exactly how you feel. Before we moved here, my husband ask how I would feel if something happened to him and living in a place so far away. ( I never lived anywhere but in MA). We had retired at Cape Cod and I said I'd rather be here than all alone on the Cape. My kids live in Cincinatti, Milwaukee and my daughter had just moved from CA to Matthews (next to Charlotte) 1 year before we moved here. That was just a coincidence. We have quite a few singles here..many of whom are my friends. We also have gained a few singles from death of a spouse. That is bound to happen with the age of of the population. However, they were not that old. I don't feel, I would ever be alone here if my husband died. I would have at the Cape. And, like you, no one wants to depend on your children. It's too bad we won't be here for the regatta(driving to Branson(have never been there and always wanted to go), then to Mikwaukee..leaving on the 22 and coming back June 6th. Everyone at the sales center knows me so let me know when you come again.
I'll definitely do that! What is your name? Is it really Stella? Have a great trip to Branson and we'll talk again I'm sure.
Patty
BTW we are from RI and actually looked into retiring on the Cape..

Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM

Yes, my name is really Stella. If you look, I started this blog almost 3 years ago. It could have been another one, though.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 AM

186 posts, read 518,615 times
Hi Stella,

I love reading your posts! I always tell Lindsay that DW should hire you as their good will ambassador!

Enjoy your trip to Branson and maybe we'll see you this summer. As you know,Walter and I have no doubts at all about DW....we're about 18 months away and can't wait!

Have a safe trip,

Pam

Old 05-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Pam,
Things are really different since you started looking here. Imagine what it will be like in 18 months. They may even be on the other side (however, I doubt it). Did you here about the lofts they have introduced on the mid-size houses? I guess they were popular at Hilton Head so they decided to build them here. It's an extra bedroom over the garage with a bath. Not for me, but some like it. Our house is big enough..the Cumberland Hall. Be sure to let me know when you are coming. You can come for a visit.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,409,544 times
Quote:
Pam,
Things are really different since you started looking here. Imagine what it will be like in 18 months. They may even be on the other side (however, I doubt it). Did you here about the lofts they have introduced on the mid-size houses? I guess they were popular at Hilton Head so they decided to build them here. It's an extra bedroom over the garage with a bath. Not for me, but some like it. Our house is big enough..the Cumberland Hall. Be sure to let me know when you are coming. You can come for a visit.
I think since the merge of pulte/centex one of the plans they added or are adding is the nantucket. Thats our style on the Old Rice side. Its a beautiful 1 story home with optional frog/loft. Total footage is 3400. Not sure how many retiree's want a home of that size? Maybe thats the one your talking about Stella? ... And oh yeah "how bout them redsox"

Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM

It's still early. That's why there's 162 games in the season.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 AM

The Harris Teeter is still coming according to the business section in the paper today. One is also going to be built near the new Lowes on Dorchester Rd. Hope it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area