Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM

186 posts, read 578,261 times

Advertisements

LOL Good one Pokr!

Stella, glad your friends finally made it! We'll definitely see you next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:16 PM

27 posts, read 131,029 times
Default Quality of Del Webb homes

Actually, the change in construction is much more than simply choices. Pulte has changed the type of slab foundation they now use, the type of house wrap, the type of windows and much more. Yes, the prices are cheaper. However, it only stands to reason that a builder can chaarge less when they begin building with inferior and lesser grade building prodects. So when I speak of "quality", I am referring to much more than aesthetics.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM

Default More info on Del Webb Charleston/Buyer Beware

There were 2 resales in 2009 and 6 resales in 2010. There have already been 4 resales in 2011 with an additional 12 homes presently on the MLS for resale. In a 55+ community, one would assume the purchaser is buying their retirement dream home. It would seem unlikely that with only 4 months into 2011, there would be presently 16 homeowners with the type of significant life change to need to sell their "retirement dream home". Given this theory, why are there so many people leaving Del Webb Charleston? One can only conclude that they do not like it here , especially given the present economy which has in and of itself lowered home values which does not make this the best time to list a home for sale. Many of these people have taken a huge hit just to get out of here. There is also a Cumberland Hall that came on the market on March 2nd. which was a foreclosure with a list price of $199,900. This home is on Tidal Creek Court and is now under contract. This unfortuante scenerio has set the pricing for all future sales which has now lowered the value of every home in Del Webb Charleston in addition to the existing troubled economic times. Conclusion....BUYER BEWARE!!! !!!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 19,969 times
I don't think the economy has anything to do with the "mass exodus" you are aluding to. In talking to some of the folks here, they just seem to be missing their family. Many people are taking a hit on their previous homes, just ask some of the new Boeing folks with homes in Washington state. This IS THE NEW NORMAL.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 PM

Would be nice if this were the case.....but, this really borders on "I wish it were so". In today's economy it would appear to be a lot cheaper to visit family and have family visit you until things improve. Taking a bit hit on a real estate investment because one misses their family is a pretty drastic move...excuse the pun.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 PM

120 posts, read 236,720 times
Sorry porkplr, I guess I'm going to have to "feed the troll". I resisted for a few days, but I just can't let all these assumptions go unchallenged. Otherwise someone might read it and actually believe it.

Scgal would be more credible if she offered some specific examples of what she is talking about. She says nothing about being a resident here or even knowing anyone who is a resident.

I moved to Del Webb Cane Bay in 2010 and, so far am quite pleased with my decision. I'm already active in several activity groups and have met a lot of new people. so far I have talked to not one single person who is dissatisfied with their move here. Admittedly I haven't met scgal, if she indeed is a resident. We talked to people living in several Del Webb communities before we made the move and all recommended it.

I have no idea if the statisitics scgal quoted are correct, but how many houses would you expect to be for sale or foreclosed in a neighborhood of 400+ homes? Probably a lot more than the numbers quoted. I do know they sold about 100 new homes here in 2010. How many builders would be ecstatic to accomplish that in the worst year for housing in decades?

As far as reasons to move away, some people pass away, some get married (yes, even in a 55+ community), some move for family reasons and, I guess, some might even have financial difficulties and have to default (1 out of 400 is 0.25%. What was the national foreclosure rate in 2010? Right!!). Quite a few houses here are part-time residences for "snow birds" and one could speculate that the economy might have given some folks second thoughts about that

Admittedly the quality is not up to my "ideal" standards. I would rather have all brick, custom built with 2x6 studs, all hard wood, etc., etc., maybe my own in-ground pool. But then I couldn't afford it. For the price I think it was a good value and DW has been very cooperative throughout the process.

For your information, scgal, I'm one of the people who took a beating on my former home to move here. Luckily I'm fortunate that I can afford it. I think it was a good move.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:08 AM

186 posts, read 578,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather B Cruisin View Post
Sorry porkplr, I guess I'm going to have to "feed the troll". I resisted for a few days, but I just can't let all these assumptions go unchallenged. Otherwise someone might read it and actually believe it.

Scgal would be more credible if she offered some specific examples of what she is talking about. She says nothing about being a resident here or even knowing anyone who is a resident.

I moved to Del Webb Cane Bay in 2010 and, so far am quite pleased with my decision. I'm already active in several activity groups and have met a lot of new people. so far I have talked to not one single person who is dissatisfied with their move here. Admittedly I haven't met scgal, if she indeed is a resident. We talked to people living in several Del Webb communities before we made the move and all recommended it.

I have no idea if the statisitics scgal quoted are correct, but how many houses would you expect to be for sale or foreclosed in a neighborhood of 400+ homes? Probably a lot more than the numbers quoted. I do know they sold about 100 new homes here in 2010. How many builders would be ecstatic to accomplish that in the worst year for housing in decades?

As far as reasons to move away, some people pass away, some get married (yes, even in a 55+ community), some move for family reasons and, I guess, some might even have financial difficulties and have to default (1 out of 400 is 0.25%. What was the national foreclosure rate in 2010? Right!!). Quite a few houses here are part-time residences for "snow birds" and one could speculate that the economy might have given some folks second thoughts about that

Admittedly the quality is not up to my "ideal" standards. I would rather have all brick, custom built with 2x6 studs, all hard wood, etc., etc., maybe my own in-ground pool. But then I couldn't afford it. For the price I think it was a good value and DW has been very cooperative throughout the process.

For your information, scgal, I'm one of the people who took a beating on my former home to move here. Luckily I'm fortunate that I can afford it. I think it was a good move.

Well said! We also have done our research and have found much more positives about DWC than negatives. The truth is though that it really comes down to personal preferences and there are just some people who are never satisfied, no matter what. By the way, I don't feel bad because I'm not really feeding the troll, I'm just chatting with Don.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 28,217 times
I have to agree with scgal. We actually sold our house in Del Webb and moved back to our home state in less than 2 years. I think you’ll find that everyone who is moving out has two reasons they are moving. One is the one they tell everyone, health, family, etc. and then there’s the other one……they don’t like it there! I found the overpowering control by Pulte to be stifling…….so many rules so little time. I found the disrespectful treatment by Jessica to be over the top. After being there a month we were threatened by Jessica to be fined $1000…….that was some welcome.

When we were selling our house there were 9 houses on just our street for sale. I really don’t think that’s a normal percentage with a brand new neighborhood

I definitely agree with the post about a year ago by Southeast Lady that Del Webb Charleston is BIG BROTHER.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 AM

174 posts, read 652,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomony View Post
Well said! We also have done our research and have found much more positives about DWC than negatives. The truth is though that it really comes down to personal preferences and there are just some people who are never satisfied, no matter what. By the way, I don't feel bad because I'm not really feeding the troll, I'm just chatting with Don.
I also agree.. You all know I have been here since the beginning (7th to buy) and one thing I can say..rumors do fly. Most people are very happy here and those that aren't never really investigated the area. I personally know many of the houses for sale are for personal reasons...marrriage..divorce...sickness and those that think things are too far (should have checked that out before they moved here). After all, we are a 55+ community and more happens as you get older. As far as the construction, we have not had any major problems and Pulte was more than happy to fix the minor ones. It amazes me how many criticize Del Webb without the facts and never have lived here.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM

Default Is Del Webb Charleston really an ADULT COMMUNITY???

Do ADULTS refer to other people as 'TROLLS' when they read or hear something they don't like?? I would hope not, but it sadly appears to be true. Speaking of the truth; it can often be hard to accept, but it is what it is, like it or not.
The statistics on resales and the foreclosure at Del Webb Charleston are a matter of public record and you can verify with a little time involvement for your own edification.
I regret to have to tell "Rather B Cruisin" that since he purchased in 2010, he is one of the unfortuante DWC residents that purchased a home with the lesser grade slab foundation, house wrap and windows. The specs on these and other building materials was changed in May of '09. Reference sales brochures prior to 5/09 and after 5/09 and you will see the specific differences. Speaking of sales brochures, the sales team will no longer give anyone a brochure that breaks down specific pricing on options....this has stopped. You must work with an agent in order to recieve this information. It was readily available in the past. What are they hiding? Or, may be simply be that Pulte does not want sellers who closed between 11/07 and 5/09 to be able to price their resale competitively since the early homes came with almost every option built into the price.
Living in a "DW Adult Community" is very different from life in any other urban or suburban residential neighborhood. One can equate it to "dormitory living" or "commune living" where you see the same people every day. It is impossible to take a stroll, work out, swim, etc. without seeing the"same people" over and over. As a result, gossip and often malicious gossip, runs rampid. As 55+ adults, many have had great careers and certainly many of life's both wonderful and sad expereinces. At this stage of life, kindness should prevail and certainly not name calling, i.e., "feed the troll". Come on you guys....be nice to each other. The cliche, "familiarity breeds contempt", can unfortuantley apply in this case. Buyer Beware!!.....more juicy details to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area