U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,791,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
Try and sell your house with a big RV and/or boat sitting in the driveway next door. Or two fenced-in yappy pitbulls. Nah!
You seriously think that's universally the case in neighborhoods without an HOA (or better yet, old guy in a PT Cruiser who drives around taking pictures of everyone's place)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,060,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgal View Post
You live in the good old USA 'Oletomecat' so you are free to post about any area you choose.
I 've never said that I am unhappy with anything. I am simply stating facts about DWC which can be verified as truthful if anyone wishes to take the time to do so. By the way, I'm shocked at the reacton to 'truthful statments'. Why get so uptight? It is what it is.
Another 'truthful fact' about Del Webb Charleston:
Be wary of anyone who has lofty praise for DWC followed by an offer to put you in touch with a sales agent. There is a $1000 referral fee to any resident who brings in a client that goes to closing.
The only thing that made me 'uptight' in your words, were your words to the extent that Pokr couldn't comment on DWC or that his comments didn't matter because he didn't live there.....

Old 03-19-2011, 07:04 AM

174 posts, read 590,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgal View Post
You live in the good old USA 'Oletomecat' so you are free to post about any area you choose.
I 've never said that I am unhappy with anything. I am simply stating facts about DWC which can be verified as truthful if anyone wishes to take the time to do so. By the way, I'm shocked at the reacton to 'truthful statments'. Why get so uptight? It is what it is.
Another 'truthful fact' about Del Webb Charleston:
Be wary of anyone who has lofty praise for DWC followed by an offer to put you in touch with a sales agent. There is a $1000 referral fee to any resident who brings in a client that goes to closing.
Don't be misleading!!!! the 1000 referral is not money...it's a contribution to you favorite club or any other organization you want...some have done the food pantry. We have one coming and it's going to the Vets organization. Check your facts before you print them!!!! There is not cash involved!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:31 AM

27 posts, read 115,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella2 View Post
Don't be misleading!!!! the 1000 referral is not money...it's a contribution to you favorite club or any other organization you want...some have done the food pantry. We have one coming and it's going to the Vets organization. Check your facts before you print them!!!! There is not cash involved!!!
I stand corrected Stella2. My source had given me the wrong information. I will always 'stand corrected' if I am incorrect on anything. However, I will 'stand steadfast' when correct.

DEL WEBB CHARLESTON TIP OF THE DAY:

The HOA dues began at $199/month. They increased to $219/month in 2010. They have increased to $230/month for 2011.
Buyer Beware!!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 AM

180 posts, read 348,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tflas2000 View Post
I agree with scgal "Old Cavalier" and I think you should do some more research and possibly rent something in Del Webb before you buy (not sure this is allowed, it may be one of the many many rules). Covenants are one thing and I agree they are needed but CONTROL is something else. I guess there are people whose personalities lend themselves to this type of atmosphere but it's possible you don't know the REAL Del Webb. Save yourself the loss of $$$$$ because if you decide to leave, Pulte makes it almost impossible to sell your house and you WILL lose money.

I also concur with scgal on the brochure issue. When showing the models to relatives we requested current pricing and they were refused unless they sat down with a sales associate. What are they afraid of?

And "Old Cavalier" have you checked out the HOA fees? We were there less than 2 years and they went up more than 15 percent......

BUYER BEWARE!
Thanks for your post. I can always use insight into an important decision. However, it sounds like you are a disgruntled buyer and moved? Why?

We like strict covenants that keep all residents in check from doing crazy or objectionable things to their house or lot. Fortunately, no fences are allowed for yappy dogs. No RVs or boats can be parked in the driveway next door--we have all seen the ones that are bigger than a DWC house. The list goes on.

Yes, the HOA fees keep rising and always will for yard and common area maintenance and security. I don't have to subscribe to a security service or go to Home Depot for yard items, aside from doing the work. The expenses partially offset the fees. Plus, we like a full service community center.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Yes. I have lived in subdivisions with and without covenants for 40 years. It happens! Many people may think that their pitbulls are wonderful and cute, I don't. Same goes with their boat on a trailer parked in the side yard that I can see from my patio. I don't want to ever see it. In fact, I would never live anywhere that does not have strict covenants prohibiting residents from doing certain things to property. Most of the complainers are those who are the exception rather than the rule. All buyers know up front what the rules are---they get a packet from the HOA explaining everything that they sign for well before closing.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:32 AM

27 posts, read 115,946 times
Default Del Webb Charleston Escalating HOA fees

Quote:
Thanks for your post. I can always use insight into an important decision. However, it sounds like you are a disgruntled buyer and moved? Why?

We like strict covenants that keep all residents in check from doing crazy or objectionable things to their house or lot. Fortunately, no fences are allowed for yappy dogs. No RVs or boats can be parked in the driveway next door--we have all seen the ones that are bigger than a DWC house. The list goes on.

Yes, the HOA fees keep rising and always will for yard and common area maintenance and security. I don't have to subscribe to a security service or go to Home Depot for yard items, aside from doing the work. The expenses partially offset the fees. Plus, we like a full service community center.
The main reason that the HOA fees continue to esculate at DWC is that Pulte is doing a disproportional shift of yearly costs to the residents.
Buyer Beware!!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 25,136 times
[quote=OldCavalier;18345711]Thanks for your post. I can always use insight into an important decision. However, it sounds like you are a disgruntled buyer and moved? Why?

Yes, the HOA fees keep rising and always will for yard and common area maintenance and security. I don't have to subscribe to a security service or go to Home Depot for yard items, aside from doing the work. The expenses partially offset the fees. Plus, we like a full service community center

I'm not sure I can pinpoint why we left.First I guess the lack of privacy.OK I knew that going in but thought I would get used to it. Front door or back door there's no privacy and there's nothing you can do about it.

So many nitpicking rules.Not allowed outside (in or out of your yard) without a shirt.OK so all you guys that still have something to show off forget it. I'm not really for shirtless guys (or gals) but it doesn't seem like it should be in the covenants. All alterations to the outside of your home HAVE to be approved by the ARC (Architectural Review Committee) for a fee of $25. All residents must have a parking sticker on their car. All people with a golf cart and two cars must have one car and the golf cart parked in the garage. If you have guests and want them to use the facilities, YOU HAVE TO GO WITH THEM. So if my 40 year old son wanted to use the pool, I would have to go with him. We would have to sign in and sign out. They go on and on and I think they even charge for guests to use the pool. Truth be known the contruction entrances are quite easy to get in and out of........FOR ANYONE.

I have no issue with the construction of our house. In fact WE LOVED our house and would have taken it with us if we could. But it was built in 2008 before they changed their standards.

In a nutshell, no privacy, too many rules,and an underlying feeling that you're being controlled. BIG BROTHER and JESSICA always looking over your shoulder.

So OLDCAVALIER if you must buy at DWC, check out the resales and set someone free and get a bargain for yourself. If you must buy new wait for a SPEC to be hanging around and for Pulte to get desperate and you will save tons.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:35 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,791,258 times
Quote:
Yes. I have lived in subdivisions with and without covenants for 40 years. It happens! Many people may think that their pitbulls are wonderful and cute, I don't. Same goes with their boat on a trailer parked in the side yard that I can see from my patio. I don't want to ever see it. In fact, I would never live anywhere that does not have strict covenants prohibiting residents from doing certain things to property. Most of the complainers are those who are the exception rather than the rule. All buyers know up front what the rules are---they get a packet from the HOA explaining everything that they sign for well before closing.
So much fear, uncertainty and doubt... I'll have to dig up a couple of pics from the neighborhood, if I can find any without pit bulls in them...

Old 03-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the detailed response Currently we live under the covenants you described, except for the golf cart. Our cars must be off the street, but not in garages. No flagpoles, arbors or other items. Same ARC approval for $25. Actually the HOA management company is Bluegreen Properties that sells timesharesand developes golf course communities like ours. That is another social problem if one does not play golf, we did not realize it prior to moving here. Other than your post, I am not sure anyone else has much experience with age-restricted housing by DW. Where did you move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area