U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 PM

186 posts, read 518,379 times

Advertisements

Just bumping this thread up. Lots of great info on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 05:29 PM

7 posts, read 25,578 times
Default Looking into Del webb Charleston too!

My wife and I are lokking at the home plans (almost daily!) and I am wondering about the overall quality of construction, materials, and appliances in these homes. There are Pulte- built homes in our community and at least from a distance they look pretty nice. Any comments? Thanks!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 AM

174 posts, read 590,778 times
We were the first ones to buy here in June 2007. We love our home and had an inspection before our 1 year warranty was over. He didn't find much except for minor things.....insulation in the pull down stairs...door under stove didn't come out far enough.... He said the water heater was A one....AO Smith and so was the electrical box. However, I need to tell you they are selling houses a little differently now. When we bought we paid more and everything was in it...no choice as to what goes into it if we picked a certain model. Now, you buy the basic house very cheap and put the upgrades you want in it...eg..flooring (upgrade would be tile or hardwood)...lighting fixtures, try ceilings, etc. I think they did this because some people didn't want everything and didn't want to spend the money. No matter how you look at it, if you buy the exact house we have with all we have it will probably be a little cheaper. You will be happy with the house and especially the community. We have been here for 2 years and love it...from MA

Old 06-06-2009, 05:29 PM

Thanks alot! You are obviously happy about making your move,etc. I think it's just a matter of getting all our loose ends tied up before we do the same, like selling our home first! Thanks again, and pehaps we'll meet one day! John

Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 PM

43 posts, read 137,320 times
I've been reading all the great info posted here. We are thinking of moving out of Colorado (former New Yorkers) to maybe Sun City, but now I'm reading about the Charleston area as well. Does anyone know of the major differences between the two? Taxes for example? It's way to dry here in Colorado for us and we're looking for a place that offers pools, gyms, and clubs to get involved. We also miss the ocean, and dislike the snow.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 AM

Here I am again!!!! We, from MA, checked a lot of places. There is always a competition between Hilton Head (it's really in Bluffton) and here in Charleston(it's really in Summerville). It all depends what you want. Hilton Head is very big (about 10,000) and has golf courses. When this is built out it will have 1000. They both have activities, pools, gym, etc. We didn't like Hilton Head...visited it twice and stayed on the island for 3 weeks while we were waiting for this house. It's a resort area, so it reminded me of Cape Cod(where we came from). We wanted to be near a beach and a city. Charleston is beautiful and so are the beaches. They both are about 40 minutes from here. There's also is every store you can imagine here and hardly any on Hilton Head It might be in your best interest to visit both places and see what you like. We do have a golf group but they go to the surrounding courses. Will furnish any info you need

Old 06-10-2009, 04:29 PM

We also stayed at Hilton Head for a week, and it seemed very pretentious. We like to just be ourselves and like you said about the shopping, what they have at Hilton Head is too upscale for our wallets! From what Iunderstand of the taxes, they seem very reasonable, and we are from Ohio, and Our taxes now are not as high as many other states.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,266 times
We live in Denver, but have a condo in Wilmington, NC, that is 2.5 miles to Wrightsville Beach.
We visited Del Webb, Cane Bay last Easter weekend and it took one hour to get to Sullivan's Island. Is it the closest beach and if not, what is the closest and how long does it take to get there on a typical summer day?

How is life at Del Webb, Summerville? My brother and sister-in-law live at Carolina Preserve, Cary, NC, and absolutely love it. They're into pickle ball, tennis, biking, wine club, etc. We're just exploring the possibilities - will be ready for a part-time east coast move in July, 2010. Have kids and grand-daughter in Atlanta.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:27 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,370,389 times
I have a quick question for those of you that are currently living in this community. When my husband and I move down to Charleston, my Mom will most likely not be far behind (this is a good thing!) as I am
her only daughter and we are very close. My question is, how comfortable would a widow feel in this type of community? I would hate for her to feel uncomfortable, but I would love all of the amenities and activities (single's club) for her! Does anyone know how active the "singles club" actually is? Thank you all so much for any thoughts or advice!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:11 AM

The closest beach is Isle of palms about 40 minutes anytime (except during commuter traffic) We do have everything here..activities...clubs, tennis, pickleball, bocce..pools, etc. There are singles here and are very active. I'm sure there will be more as the years go on. There will be a lot for your Mom to do. Seeing is worth a thousand words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area