U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
131 posts, read 303,965 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

You're KIDDING me!

Are they wanting to have a certain amount of homes built in the area? With the opening of both schools there will be extra traffic from moms wanting to do grocery shopping either before or after they pick up the kids. God knows there are always tons of last minute things we run to the grocery store for. Heck, I usually stop by Publix on my way home from work to pick up a deli sandwich if I'm too tired to cook.

Having the publix/harris teeter was a definite appeal to Cane Bay- you know the whole 'convenience thing'.

I know stuff happens in contruction and delays are a part of the game.

Is there someone I can write to share my thoughts on this possible delay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Cane-Bay Plantation
2,223 posts, read 4,402,726 times
Reputation: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl1 View Post
You're KIDDING me!

Are they wanting to have a certain amount of homes built in the area? With the opening of both schools there will be extra traffic from moms wanting to do grocery shopping either before or after they pick up the kids. God knows there are always tons of last minute things we run to the grocery store for. Heck, I usually stop by Publix on my way home from work to pick up a deli sandwich if I'm too tired to cook.

Having the publix/harris teeter was a definite appeal to Cane Bay- you know the whole 'convenience thing'.

I know stuff happens in contruction and delays are a part of the game.

Is there someone I can write to share my thoughts on this possible delay?
Wish it was an April fools joke ... All us Cane-Bay Residents should start a petition and send it off to Publix Corporate. You are exactly correct with the 2 schools now completed and people looking to stop 'quick' ... They are definitely waiting for a certain # of homes completed, what that # is, who knows?? We're obviously not there. Other than grocery shopping I would LOVE to relocate my business there too, could you imagine my commute to work?? 2 miles round trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
131 posts, read 303,965 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Wish it was an April fools joke ... All us Cane-Bay Residents should start a petition and send it off to Publix Corporate. You are exactly correct with the 2 schools now completed and people looking to stop 'quick' ... They are definitely waiting for a certain # of homes completed, what that # is, who knows?? We're obviously not there. Other than grocery shopping I would LOVE to relocate my business there too, could you imagine my commute to work?? 2 miles round trip
The petition is an awesome idea.

I think I am going to Publix's website and send something off to their customer service relations.

Having the Publix there will push people who are on the fence on moving out to Cane Bay (the closest supermarket is the Publix in GC right?)towards actually buying there.

I don't know if you have gone to the Sanctuary Cove side recently, but there are lots more houses going down and families moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Cane-Bay Plantation
2,223 posts, read 4,402,726 times
Reputation: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl1 View Post
The petition is an awesome idea.

I think I am going to Publix's website and send something off to their customer service relations.

Having the Publix there will push people who are on the fence on moving out to Cane Bay (the closest supermarket is the Publix in GC right?)towards actually buying there.

I don't know if you have gone to the Sanctuary Cove side recently, but there are lots more houses going down and families moving in.
Yes Goose Creek is the closest, as far as Publix goes. I noticed that SC is growing quite fast. Thats great news! On our side, in the subdivision side we live on, there's 4 more lots left before they move on to the next phase! I cant wait. No more dumptrucks and hammering at 6am
I think as a whole the entire CB community is growing at a rapid rate, thats why i'm puzzled with the delay in the retail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 07:39 AM
 
174 posts, read 590,261 times
Reputation: 47
I'm quite sure every one here at Del Webb would definitely sign a petition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
131 posts, read 303,965 times
Reputation: 31
This is the link to send an email to Publix's customer service department. I am sending something off just stating how much I love shopping at Publix (I use them for the pharmacy, deli, everything) and would love even more if they opened up at Cane Bay

Interestingly enough I was at an eating place today and the guy there was saying that they're wanting to open another location and are looking at either Goose Creek or the Cane Bay/Carnes Crossroad area but there isn't any existing retail in the latter so they may just do GC.

Send Publix a Message
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 07:42 AM
 
Location: LI,Worlds Largest Parking Lot
186 posts, read 517,718 times
Reputation: 48
All right you guys, I didn't want to tell you this but the reason for the delay is, everybody is waiting for us to move down.

Seriously though, I think I already posted about how on our last visit in August, the DW staff didn't even mention the shopping centers.(previously it was in their literature about the area) I'm sure the economy is causing the delay. Even though CB is growing and growing, businesses seem to be waiting as long as they can before taking the plunge. At least they haven't cancelled the project entirely. Hang in there CB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Sun City Hilton Head, Bluffton, SC
43 posts, read 137,100 times
Reputation: 40
We visited Summerville in July and didn't care for it as much as Hilton Head. We found it way to far away from anything and the access road a bit rustic. Although I did notice some shopping centers were going in but still not that close. Maybe we're spoiled here in Colorado with at least a convenience mart only 3 minutes away.

If you want to go grocery shopping, you'd have to travel at least 12 minutes away. So much for planning that gallon of milk. I also wondered if the facilities would be sufficient when fully built. Hilton Head has numerous pools and you could see that at a given day, it was enough to accommodate the community. I also loved the fact that the golf courses were right there, who want to travel? When we visited Summerville, it didn't look like many people were taking advantage of the pool even though it was very hot that day. The prices in that area are far better than in Hilton Head though and that's a good thing. And Charleston, about 30 minutes way was a very nice little town with a ton of restaurants and all the shopping you could ever need. I loved Charleston.

We were staying in Isle of Palms and it was a good 30 minutes it you wanted the ocean. Summerville was a relatively small town. Not much to see there.

We plan to try Hilton Head when we move, I think there are far more clubs and activities there (without the waiting lists as I was told). All in all, Del Webb's concept is wonderful and I can't wait to try it out. It all depends on what you are looking for. Seeing is worth a thousand words, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 15,067,633 times
Reputation: 1351
I think you have Hilton Head and Summerville reversed....

Summerville is a growing area with lots of shopping and easy access to I-26
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 AM
 
174 posts, read 590,261 times
Reputation: 47
I agree with OleTom. We have stayed at Hilton Head quite a few times and it reminds me of Cape Cod(that's where we had retired before moving here (Del Webb). There are very few stores compared to here. Airport is further (Savannah). We went to Savannah last week and you can't compare it with Charleston, even though it was very nice. I guess that's why we have vanilla and chocolate ice cream. It's true, if you play golf you have to go to one of many golf courses here but they are not that far and are very reasonable. Also, Hilton head is extremely crowded and huge. We have friends there(live in the new part) who golf and it takes 15 minutes just to drive across the bridge. We are building up here and already I think it's getting crowded and there's about 300 homes. There will be about 1000. That's enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top