U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:41 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,835,371 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to comment on people being concerned about stores, etc.

I currently live in the Del Webb community near Charlotte, NC. They started building early 2006 and for pretty much the first almost 2 years there was almost nothing around except for a few small stores and a small, dreary Food Lion. I moved down here permanently in October, 2008 and since then we have gotten brand new CVS, Walgreen's, Harris Teeter, Wendy's, and several smaller shops (hair place, nail place, UPS, AAA Travel, pet store, etc.) plus 2 large medical buildings built right at the entrance to the place. A new Lowe's hardware just up the road about 5 miles, upgrades to several gas stations have happened and a new WalMart supercenter is being built about 6 miles up the road and a new Goodyear car center opened about 3-4 months ago in the same area. There are plans for a large shopping complex right across the highway from us, but that has been put on hold because of the economy, but I suspect it will be started in the next 1-2 years. It's a nice open plan, not mall, with a Target, lots of small shops, restaurants and a Belk (I think).

Anyway, what I am saying is that in my experience once they see the potential there, they will definately build what you need. If you love the area you should move there and be patient a year or two. The fact it is already 1/3 built out so soon really says good things about it. We might have seriously considered there, but it didn't exist when we bought here. Prices MUCH better, plus the smaller community would be nice (ours is supposed to be well over 3000). Although we have a golf course that winds within the community, it is privately owned therefore we are totally banned from the property unless we are playing golf, which neither of us do. Not even allowed on the cart trails even when the course is closed. Kind of annoying, especially when no one is on the course and it would be nice to take a walk on the cart paths at those times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 PM

128 posts, read 356,751 times
Default Help on Del Webb Communities

My husband and I are going to retire in the next two years. We really like the Del Webb concept of 55+ and were looking at Sun Carolina Lakes in Fort Mill and Amberly in Cary, NC. We were also looking in Charleston (not sure about the areas) we are from NJ and don't know how consertive the town is- - We are liberal in our thinking and are not churchgoers. We are also looking at Atlanta. We want a much cheaper house, prop taxes, etc.

I just came upon many blogs about the shoddy workmanship and class action that is currently on with Pulte/Del Webb. I looked at the blogs and pictures, which has not been in an isolated Del Webb community. Of course we are scared, and was wondering what everyone's experience has been with the quality of the homes, amenities, and how much of the development has to be sold before the HOA can assume board memebership???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since it seems that Del Webb has the "recipe" for these communities. We have tried to find K Hov 55+ (they are a much better builder) or another smaller builder but it has been slim pickings.

Thanks,
Sandy

Old 11-25-2009, 04:49 PM

44 posts, read 162,548 times
Can anyone give me an update as what is really happening at Del Webb Charleston. Specifically, how are houses selling and are there any problems homeowners have been experiencing? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:08 AM

174 posts, read 590,863 times
As you all know, I was one of the first to move into Del Webb. I think they have built approximately 280 homes here. They are building about 1000.I live in one of the larger homes and they are going up very fast now. They have changed how the houses are sold since we moved here. When we bought (2 1/2 years ago) you didn't have a choice in what you got (except for colors, tile, hardwood). Now you buy the basic house and you pick everything from lights to counter tops depending on what you want. So, you can have any upgrade you want or don't want. In the end, even with the upgrades, the house are less than what we paid. We are very happy here and most of the people are also. We all are still waiting for Publix and Harris Teeter to open here. Probably 2nd quarter of 2011. The economy had slowed it down for a year. All in all, it's a great place to live.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 25,581 times
Stella2, Always good to hear positves from you! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Here in Ohio we had our first snow today, hopefully next year we will be in our new home, the Resort at Cane Bay, Barb and John

Old 11-28-2009, 07:04 AM

Barb & John.....We love to see all the snow up North....don't miss it at all. First thing to go is the snow blower. My son lives in Cincinnati. Let me know when you visit here and Mike and I will show you around. Can't believe I've been on this thread for over 2 years. Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 11,433 times
Default stella

we visited cane bay in february, 2009 and fell in love with it. We own two homes one in NY and one on Fripp Island, SC. We are in the midst of selling our home in NY and moving to Fripp for a year or two and then sell it and move to Cane Bay. Thanks for all your information, we are doing this in stages but hope to be in Cane Bay-Del Webb by 2012 at the latest. Keep your blogs going and maybe when we are down in the area we can stop by. Regards, John and Ronni Reaves-Jericho, NY

Old 12-02-2009, 04:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,753 times
Ronni & John, Did you visit the Del Webb community in Bluffton? If yes, what made you choose the one in Charleston instead (especially since you own in Fripp Island)? Just wondering...we visited both recently. Thanks for your response. Kathy & Don

Old 12-04-2009, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 11,433 times
We want to pick Charleston because we wanted to be around a number of colleges and things to do. The 278 corridor in Bluffton/HHI is going to get busier and busier in the years to come. Both are nice, we just feel that getting to the beach, colleges, airports etc that Del Webb Summerville seems better for us. We love Fripp Island, it truly is a magical place to live but we like the idea of gated community that doesn't get overcrowded in the summer. John/Ronni-Jericho

Old 12-05-2009, 07:52 AM

John/Ronni,

Couldn't have said it better myself. There is so much to do here, we haven't even touch many of the areas yet and we have been here 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area