Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
You can do nothing except like Geechie said, try to be "the house." Btw, I think the real crash is coming, and this time, there will be no rescue and let's see how "well" the economy will recover according to the conservative thinking. I got my hedge placed already regardless my personal believes.
Hey Jimmy,

If you caught '60 Minutes' last night ( and understand that it is the watered-down, corporate version of the truth), the latest scam on 'The Street' is that 'The House' is actively whittleing its already tiny numbers down even more.

Computer-generated milisecond trades based on alogrithms;

Guy closest to the server wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM

435 posts, read 835,017 times
Known that since I was in school in the 90s. My friend want me to do that with him using automatic high speed trading when it just come online. Didn't take it, still have certain risk, and non-fulfilling.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Known that since I was in school in the 90s. My friend want me to do that with him using automatic high speed trading when it just come online. Didn't take it, still have certain risk, and non-fulfilling.
Yeah, but the guys on the floor of the Exchange are saying the electronic boys are cheating, as they are able to get 'info' (possibly more than info) before they do, so computer jocks are the new 'insiders'.

Plus, per the SEC (and from their track record, if the SEC is sayin' it, somebody at Goldman told them to say it) that a single company's alogrithim caused the 'Flash Crash'.

So, given all that, the chance of the average person becoming the House is about as realistic as Bernie Madoff getting re-installed as the Nasdaq chief.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:47 PM

435 posts, read 835,017 times
I didn't say everyone can be the house , you do need good amount of CASH. That's the beauty of the game. The traders are not really insiders except the information is really useless based on the speed of the trades and nickle and dime each trade to make millions. Currency market is the oldest automatic trading heaven even before the stock market automation because of its inherent lag between markets and slightly slower speed.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't say everyone can be the house , you do need good amount of CASH. That's the beauty of the game. The traders are not really insiders except the information is really useless based on the speed of the trades and nickle and dime each trade to make millions. Currency market is the oldest automatic trading heaven even before the stock market automation because of its inherent lag between markets and slightly slower speed.
But nobody (for practical purposes) who is not the House now, will ever be so.

And with wealth consolidating with the few, and the Middle Class (or what is left of it) caught in the 'Wal-Mart Triangle' (expected savings vanish as wages shrink), what kind of system are we re-creating?

(Think France in the late 1700's, or Germany circa 1931.)

The genius (or luck??) of America is that we've never had to stoop to that paradigm before, although we've come close on two other occasions previoulsy- and for the exact same reason.

Let's hope the 3rd time ain't the charm.

Last edited by Geechie North; 10-11-2010 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,168 times
Walmart in Oakland, Ca

Maybe because Walmart is the largest company in the world.

I love Walmart. Going into the store is like an adventure.
Today's losers can be tomorrow's winners in walmart.
Walmart helps stimulate the economy.
Plus, what they did in Hurricane Katrina was amazing.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,940 times
If you have to ask why not to shop at Wal Mart you don't get it and likely never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area