Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:09 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,967,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Oh, I do understand.

But maybe you don't understand what it's like to have next to no money.
But that's the beautiful thing about the trap the multinat corporations have set for us:

The major employer shuts down and moves to------ (you fill it in; the cause for the move is NAFTA, PNR- some part of GATT), so the community grows weaker, and the 1st world (okay, maybe 2.5 world for S.C.) lifestyle we've come to expect since we emerged from the 30's Depression becomes unsustainable.

Then, everyone tries to save money by shopping 'cheap'- rational individual behavior which, in the ultimate paradox inflicts even more damage, as the 'cheap' comes in the form of slave-labor goods introduced into the local market by Wal-Mart, or another buzzard that feasts on the entrails of the dying consumer.

So even more local jobs vanish.
And even the best (profitability measure) local businesses suffer. Their owners severely cut back.

That's called 'Wal-Mart killing once', as the only act left in town is Fart-Mart, and it's Chinese suppliers.

But then comes the final blow:

Wal-Mart's business plan (pre- the current depression) called for one supercenter every 10 miles in the regions with a population density of 100. per sq mile or greater (think everything South and East of Central Minnesota and Wisconsin- plus the West Coast).

Now since this modern version of the 19th Century 'company store' is the only player of any consequence in those 10 square-mile satraps it has created, what happens during rough times- like now?

Well, Wal-Mart- the only game in town- often the only reason for the town (or at least its backbone), says, 'Geez, we're in competition with ourselves, as we have gotten our monopoly.' And they proceed to close every other store in those little 10 sq mile areas, and that means lots of those little towns have zero rationale for being.

That's called 'Wal-Mart killing twice'.

Then those D.P.'s (Displaced Persons)- so much like Stinebeck's Okies in 'The Grapes Of Wrath', have no recourse except to relocate. And they flood the apartment complexes of the nearest metros, and assure themselves that this is 'Only temporary', when in fact, left on the present economic course of this country, it will be their last address- the one their next of kin will move what little personal items they have left, after they pass.

And that is why personal, rational behavior becomes a major weapon in the arsenal of the corporations who want to destroy those average persons.

It's why if we do not get out of GATT, and it's spawn- like NAFTA, PNR, CAFTA, etc., we, as Americans have no real hope.

So, enjoy your cupcakes!

Last edited by Geechie North; 10-08-2010 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM

9,545 posts, read 7,004,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
And that is why personal, rational behavior becomes a major weapon in the arsenal of the corporations who want to destroy those average persons.

It's why if we do not get out of GATT, and it's spawn- like NAFTA, PRN, CAFTA, etc., we, as Americans have no real hope.

So, enjoy your cupcakes!

Geechie, I get your point. I see that it is a trap. Although it seems a stretch to say that WM really intends to "destroy" average people.

However, I wonder (and I have no way of knowing)...without those treaties, DH might not be able to import previously mentioned earth minerals, in which case my own DH would not have the business he does. But, I don't know this for certain.

As far as the cupcakes, that comment is really low. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't have a 4 year old little girl. Cause if you did, you would understand about that. Things are not as black and white as you would have them be.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Geechie, I get your point. I see that it is a trap. Although it seems a stretch to say that WM really intends to "destroy" average people.

However, I wonder (and I have no way of knowing)...without those treaties, DH might not be able to import previously mentioned earth minerals, in which case my own DH would not have the business he does. But, I don't know this for certain.

As far as the cupcakes, that comment is really low. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't have a 4 year old little girl. Cause if you did, you would understand about that. Things are not as black and white as you would have them be.
Couple of things;

1. That enoy your cupcakes was not meant as a slam at you, (and desculpe (sorry) that you took it that way). It was just that I wanted to exit the post on a positive note, and that was the only thing 'positive' I could think to say.
So, apologies, but,
I've always been a fan of 'gallows humor'.

2. The multinats don't want to destroy, as in 'kill' average Americans- that would deprive them of future slaves. What they want, as shown by the commercials run abroad (never saw 'em in the domestic market) that were pro-NAFTA when William of Wall Street was pushing it through Congress, is for the US to abandon its minimum wage laws and environmental regs, so as to become 'Business friendly.'

What will that mean? Well, going back to those NAFTA commercials, you can look forward to working for around $1.00 per hour.

As far as your specific biz, remember 'Bi-Lateral Trade'?

We had more trade then than we do now- it's just that the 'trade' was both ways (imports and exports) vs just imports, as it is now.

And, yes, before someone says 'We also export', I can show that our 'top' export is waste plastic to China (and Ag products), plus small items that are then incorporated into larger big-ticket items which ultimately come back here as imports.

Those latter two items (Ag and small control parts) are what has kept Wisconsin's economy as one of the brighter spots in this depression. And trade with the Canucks, of course- which we ALSO had under our Bi-Lateral trading scheme.
I'd Google 'Balance of Trade', if you wish to learn more.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 AM

435 posts, read 832,254 times
Come on Geechie, mulitnats just want to make money. Btw, there are small business co-existed with WM just fine. How do they do it? They decide to sell different and higher quality goods than WM. We export more than waste to China. We are the largest exporter of food and high technology to China. We can export more if not for the restrictions which you will probably champion.

It is the same thing for blaming China fixing its currency while WE intentionally trying to devalue our own.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 AM

I still say people are just trying to do the best they can do.

Let's say you have lost your job. For clothes or gifts for your kids, you can shop thrift shops, garage sales, or Craigslist. But where do you go for food? To the cheapest place that still has decent quality. And for many people that will be WM.

Or maybe you are getting by OK, but still watch every penny, and your kid wants an XYZ for Christmas. WM has it for $20.00 less than anywhere else. It's a no-brainer.

Principles hold up best for people who can afford them.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
Come on Geechie, mulitnats just want to make money. Btw, there are small business co-existed with WM just fine. How do they do it? They decide to sell different and higher quality goods than WM. We export more than waste to China. We are the largest exporter of food and high technology to China. We can export more if not for the restrictions which you will probably champion.

It is the same thing for blaming China fixing its currency while WE intentionally trying to devalue our own.
China uses slave labor. When it does pay wages, it pays in cents per hour.

Algebra I tells you that a wigit made at cents per hour will ALWAYS be cheaper than one made at dollar(s) per hour.

We also sold steel to Japan, until 1941.

What did that get us?

Wal-Mart is the largest retailer; it is market monopoly.

And yes, it does 'Kill Once', 'Kill Twice' as I have described above.

Numerous examples.

Wal-Mart (hell, what that really means is the Walton family) also influences politics by buying politicos/institutions:

THe US Chamber of Commerce WAS the US Chamber Of Commerce until Wal-Mart turned it into a lobbying firm for foreign business.

Now it is a money-laundering racket for those same businesses.

Bigger is not always better.

The plantation economy of the South shows where that ends.

And yes, that was capitalism also.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I still say people are just trying to do the best they can do.

Let's say you have lost your job. For clothes or gifts for your kids, you can shop thrift shops, garage sales, or Craigslist. But where do you go for food? To the cheapest place that still has decent quality. And for many people that will be WM.

Or maybe you are getting by OK, but still watch every penny, and your kid wants an XYZ for Christmas. WM has it for $20.00 less than anywhere else. It's a no-brainer.

Principles hold up best for people who can afford them.
If there is a fire in the tail of the plane, and the few passengers in 1st class shut the exit doors so they can escape before the multitude in Commercial can get in their way, what should those people in the Commercial cabin do?

It's not an arcane 'principle', it is a reality that will get everyone.

Ever read 'A Tale Of Two Cities'?

The technology may have changed, but not the basic motivations.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 AM

484 posts, read 992,100 times
I saw a story on CNN a few years ago about how Walmart was comming to towns in the Mid West. They employed large portions of the local populations, and were trying to force them to take their pay in what they called "Walmart money" ensuring their employees did the bulk of their shopping at Walmart and effectivly shutting down all the local mom and pop businesses in town and creating a monopoly. People were trying to fight it but I don't know if they were able to get away with it or not. After that I made a point never to shop there ever.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM

Sam Walton ran a Mom and Pop shop. He was just really good at it.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 AM

731 posts, read 1,360,247 times
Walmart is hated because it is from the South. It doesn't follow the Rust Belt Model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area