Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 PM

21 posts, read 37,473 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone--- so happy to have found this thread! My husband is flying down for the interview this Saturday and I was trying to get an idea of what to expect for the interview for him. I know a lot of you said the common sense situational questions were the majority but did someone post that there was somewhere to get an idea of what they'd ask? He's anxious about it because most of the jobs he's worked at have never asked these sorts of questions. I'm going to try to help him since I've had to deal with these types of questions EACH time I've found a job but it would be nice for some help. I have been researching Charleston for the past week and am happy with what I've read and heard from others. We would be relocating from Portsmouth, VA which is about 20 minutes from VA Beach (which is where I work so we're used to crappy traffic- nbd).

Can anyone here give us an idea of how much they'd offer for someone who just graduated from AIM, top of the class with both A&P and Avionics certifications along with all the required FAA certs.? His teachers have been hired and we're hoping that they'll be able to kinda help get his foot in the door. He'll probably get mad that I'm trying to talk him up on here but hey, I'm very proud of him, what can I say?? haha

Also, we have a 3 1/2 year old son wo will need to be enrolled in pre-school. I'm not quite worried about the school systems quite yet (I am but we can always move into another apartment in a different school system if need be) but I am looking for a good pre-school. Any pre-liminary suggestions?

We are both really hoping he gets this job- he's applying for Assembler B and Composite Tech? I think. Good luck to everyone else applying and congrats to those who've got then job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:17 PM

93 posts, read 335,726 times
With an A/P and certs I would be trying for other entry level positions such as flight line quality control. He needs to give himself some credit for what he's accomplished with his education. I don't know what they are offering now, only that last November it was quite low when compared to other positions in the industry and anywhere from 4-5 dollars an hour less for the same position and experience than their other bases: ie San Antonio (also non-union). I have heard that they had recently up'd their initial offers because they could not get experienced people to accept the positions.

Good luck with the interview. When my husband went down he was prepared with copies of his resume, diplomas, certs and training records. They didn't take any of that, they had hsi resume. The questions were entirely situational. How did you handle, what did you do when, things like that. He did have his offer within 2 weeks though. Actually he had a couple but we could not justify the pay cut he would have taken to move. However, if he would have been fresh out of school on the other hand, he would have jumped in with both feet.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,607,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedme247 View Post
Hey everyone--- so happy to have found this thread! My husband is flying down for the interview this Saturday and I was trying to get an idea of what to expect for the interview for him. I know a lot of you said the common sense situational questions were the majority but did someone post that there was somewhere to get an idea of what they'd ask? He's anxious about it because most of the jobs he's worked at have never asked these sorts of questions. I'm going to try to help him since I've had to deal with these types of questions EACH time I've found a job but it would be nice for some help. I have been researching Charleston for the past week and am happy with what I've read and heard from others. We would be relocating from Portsmouth, VA which is about 20 minutes from VA Beach (which is where I work so we're used to crappy traffic- nbd).

Can anyone here give us an idea of how much they'd offer for someone who just graduated from AIM, top of the class with both A&P and Avionics certifications along with all the required FAA certs.? His teachers have been hired and we're hoping that they'll be able to kinda help get his foot in the door. He'll probably get mad that I'm trying to talk him up on here but hey, I'm very proud of him, what can I say?? haha

Also, we have a 3 1/2 year old son wo will need to be enrolled in pre-school. I'm not quite worried about the school systems quite yet (I am but we can always move into another apartment in a different school system if need be) but I am looking for a good pre-school. Any pre-liminary suggestions?

We are both really hoping he gets this job- he's applying for Assembler B and Composite Tech? I think. Good luck to everyone else applying and congrats to those who've got then job!

With an A&P and Avionics(I assume FCC?) he will likely be ok. If you do a google search on boeing interviews alot of info pops up.

As for salary ranges hard to say, since I got hired the pays been going up and they are actually in the process of doing another adjustment. Who knows what will be going on.

Keep in touch, I am in a similar position as your family, but have a 10 month old, and I got hired for a different position(FRT).

I wouldn't rule out an Assembler B position... Yes FRT, seems more along the lines, but I think there is alot of room to improve in the factory. As low experience FRT so obviously on the low end of the pay, I am outshined by guys with INSANE amounts of experience. While as an Assembler, you might be the shining star A-game guy, and be on the high end of that scale and be one of the most knowledgeable people on the shop floor. Looking at some of the Functional test positions, they look like they will be alot of fun and might actually get paid more then low level FRT.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 PM

Mustang- thanks, we should definitely keep in touch over the thread because it would be nice to kind of get a window view of what's to be expected. Yes it's FCC (there are so many certs and stuff he's gotten I have no idea lol).

This would be his first job in the industry so we figure it's not going to top-pay anyway. And here we were thinking that most of everyone applying would have all the certs and stuff he has. I saw where some people didn't have the A&P licensing and still got the Assembler B position. But hey if they want him to start at the bottom, he is ready for it. As long as the pay is worth the move. We are just ready to get out of the crappy city we live in honestly.

Hoep to hear more from everyone else!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:42 AM

You don't have to be an a and p to be an assembler its actually pretty uncommon, but it does help and I believe some of the assembler postings are asking for it. He can always apply for FRT. The FCC will help a bit with that, since the plane is all electric. They have a pretty good mix of guys, at least in my group. Most are experienced, systems, structures, avionics, and a couple of young guys because, well its a new airplane, and a way to continue the program.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM

Well, it looks like I will be finding out more about Charleston first hand because my husband got the Assembler B job : ) Thanks for the help everyone, it was very helpful.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 PM

Congrats.... And may God have Mercy on his soul.....

Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 PM

212 posts, read 414,157 times
Movers pack us out tomorrow and Friday and we'll be up there on Monday afternoon.
Been a quick journey since June 10th!
Looking forward to getting going next week!!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
Default Interviews

I had my telephone interview with Boeing Charleston today. They told me that I might not hear anything back until a week from now but 4 hours after the phone interview..I received an email about flying me in for the inperson interview the first week in August. I will be working as an Executive Assistant so Im wondering if the process is different than for the "laboring" positions.

If you're flown in..do you typically get hired?

When do they start checking your background? Im sooo worried about that because when I was in college over 10 years ago..I have a misdemeanor for shoplifting. So stupid!!

I worked for Boeing previously in St.Louis for almost 3 years as an Office Administrator and it never affected me then but I was a contract hire all those years. It's been 2 years since my contract ended on great terms at Boeing so now Im trying to come back.

Any insight anyone?!

Thank you!!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:24 PM

259 posts, read 551,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimesuperstar03 View Post
I had my telephone interview with Boeing Charleston today. They told me that I might not hear anything back until a week from now but 4 hours after the phone interview..I received an email about flying me in for the inperson interview the first week in August. I will be working as an Executive Assistant so Im wondering if the process is different than for the "laboring" positions.

If you're flown in..do you typically get hired?

When do they start checking your background? Im sooo worried about that because when I was in college over 10 years ago..I have a misdemeanor for shoplifting. So stupid!!

I worked for Boeing previously in St.Louis for almost 3 years as an Office Administrator and it never affected me then but I was a contract hire all those years. It's been 2 years since my contract ended on great terms at Boeing so now Im trying to come back.

Any insight anyone?!

Thank you!!
Be honest and tell it all...they have cut people for non disclosure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area