U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 AM

217 posts, read 284,718 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me why Charleston has such a massive mosquito problem? I got bit to death (literally, 40+ bites in 2 days) while I was there in mid-October. I'm from Louisiana and we've got plenty of water, and warmer weather, so there must be a better answer that I'm just missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,248,862 times
Excellent question.

I will also say that the mosquitoes were HORRIBLE on Isle of Palms, way worse than Johns Island, which surprised me.

Thanks PP for the info on spraying if you call. I will remember that for the spring.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,726,737 times
Anyone who is complaining about the mozzies should remember they are in a Humid Subtropical climate.

It's as silly as if I were to complain about below zero weather here in northern Wisconsin.

But if you want to find some solace, consider the N.Am mosquito vs its South American counterpart:

NAmer is like a B-17- slow, big, loud, and carries very little in the way of disease (although that is changing: Dengue (Breakbone Fever) in Miami and Texas; nothing to keep it out of the Lowcountry- esp. with climate change.

SAmer is like an F-15 (sorry, I'm a bit dated on fighter aircraft)- small, fast, quiet; a carrier of lots of bad stuff.

So be happy where you are.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:31 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,248,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Anyone who is complaining about the mozzies should remember they are in a Humid Subtropical climate.

It's as silly as if I were to complain about below zero weather here in northern Wisconsin.

Agreed, EXCEPT that the "mozzies" are plenty bad in NON Humid Subtropical climates throughout the U.S., like Michigan, Maine, Minnesota, and Alaska. And they get below zero weather too.

Only places I've been where the mosquitoes aren't bad are California and Arizona.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM

120 posts, read 140,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Agreed, EXCEPT that the "mozzies" are plenty bad in NON Humid Subtropical climates throughout the U.S., like Michigan, Maine, Minnesota, and Alaska. And they get below zero weather too.
Although not subtropical - Minnesota can get pretty dang humid at times as well - not as thick as down here but it gets plenty of humid if you live anywhere near any of the thousands of lakes.

Colorado really doesn't have mosquitos either.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:33 PM

8,569 posts, read 8,900,585 times
I'm glad they don't spray. The less toxins we and our pets are exposed to the better. It is bad enough that they put fluoride in the water (which is in rat poison BTW). At least I can filter that out. Besides mosquitoes aren't a problem where I am by the ICW during the day anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area