U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:01 AM

4,024 posts, read 3,240,679 times
I guess it all depends who you are hanging with in the south. My experience, it's all about what colleges the kids go to. There isn't even a discussion about NOT going to college. But I agree with Tom -- college/university is not for everyone.

As for the studies about uniforms. The problem with that is that the populations are already 'tainted' before they commence the study. In most cases kids that attend private schools are from families where education is a priority. If you could 'weed' out the ones in the public school that don't have the same priority -- you would probably find that the performance are not that different. It's like taking a survey of who eats healthiest and using health food store and McDonalds patrons to compare. That's a bit of a stretch...but you get my drift.

I went to private school -- wore a uniform. Interesting that I don't feel the same way.

I guess my kids have shown me that public schools, their personalities and natural abilities combined with our encouragement has dictated their success more than a private school education, or a uniform.

I have met parents whose private school parents whose students weren't any better off at the end of four years of high school. They didn't get into the schools that my boys did.

Does anybody know the percentage of Summerville High School students that go on to a higher education? How does that compare the high school in your old neighbourhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Status: "Go big, or go back to Kissimmee!!" (set 6 days ago)

3,152 posts, read 2,752,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyone View Post
Oh, you got me there!

Let me guess, you went to public school in SC?
Actually in Seminole County Florida (north Suburbs of Orlando) which are once again considered to be the "best schools" in town; I feel your pain on that disappointment. I do apologize for coming off rough but I have a 6 year old brother-in-law who goes to Elementary School in Summerville, and my gf's best friend and roommate from USC-Upstate teaches High School English in Summerville. You are right that there are some major differences when it comes to Public Schools in SC. For example, even Florida pays High School teachers over 10k more a year to start, that's a big difference when deciding where to teach and often the "talent" opts to leave SC for $greener$ grass. That's why my gf decided to return with me to my hometown and make $37,000 a year which is still low compared with what starting teachers make up north. However, I think it's absolutely shameful for any state to be paying it's teachers less than 30k per year. I jumped on you for jumping on some of these SC posters but now in retrospect (all the reasons we left SC), I am forced to agree with you that there is a major problem in SC, I guess you really get what you pay for.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM

914 posts, read 1,838,864 times
I think many people misread the 'Summerville = great schools' meme. Dorchester District 2 is basically the most heterogeneous district in the area. It does not have any failing schools bringing down its averages, nor does it have true top tier schools bringing it up. Charleston County has some dreadful schools that mask how good many of the local schools are.

FWIW- whoever thinks private schools only cost 10k locally is either Catholic (since those schools are subsidized) or living in North Chuck. All the decent private schools are charging into the teens for elementary/middle and 15-19k for high school. Plus fees. Charleston does not pay Philly wages so its not really a comparative savings.

And I call BS on whoever claims everyone in their area went to any Ivy Leagues School. There are probably about 50k total undergrad slots at those schools and someohow I doubt they absorbed an entire region of high school students. My sister went to MIT after graduating a SC high school & HS classmates also attended Georgetown, Stanford, Duke, the military academies, Emory, etc So getting into a good school is not impossible for an SC student. If anything it is probably easier since the top teir schools do not want to admit 90% of an incoming class from the same region of the country & background.

I'll also agree with OTC- not everyone belongs in college & more specifically not everyone belongs in college three months after graduating high school.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:36 AM

yeah what mrpeatie said :-))).

Old 11-12-2010, 11:59 AM

291 posts, read 240,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyone View Post
I also find it very amusing how many college football fans we have in the area who never attended the school. But that is another thread...
Now that is just a weak argument that is obviously a simple jab at people you refuse to accept.

There is no rule written anywhere that says you have to have attended a certain college to become a fanatic of that school. Likewise, you do not have to be a former member of the Washington Redskins to be a fan of their team either.

Going beyond that; If you want to come across as nerdy and "all into" a higher level of education, you may want to proof read your posts before hitting the submit button. I am not one to correct one's grammar, but have no problems doing it when the person in question is coming across as you are. That is not to say I don't agree with some of your points (just saying).

Old 11-12-2010, 12:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,776,178 times
DD2 have many schools rated at Excellent....

Look at the thread on the recently released report cards......

Old 11-12-2010, 01:47 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,122,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
FWIW- whoever thinks private schools only cost 10k locally is either Catholic (since those schools are subsidized) or living in North Chuck. All the decent private schools are charging into the teens for elementary/middle and 15-19k for high school.

Mr. Peatie, I usually agree with you 100%. However, this is mis-information.

There are some smaller non-Catholic private schools in the area (not North Charleston) that are very good to excellent that cost less than $10K for elementary.

I can personally attest to this.

(Similar schools in someplace like Raleigh (for example) would cost almost twice as much.)

Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,122,965 times
Also, re: Catholic schools in Charleston, it is amazing, truly, to have so many Catholic schools to choose from. Most places in the South, like Charlotte, have very, very few Catholic schools. I would not pooh-pooh the Catholic schools; they have good reputations for good reasons.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:00 PM

I went to Catholic private schools -- my kids are smarter ;-)).

Problem with private schools -- sometimes their size limits the opportunities for students at both end of the spectrum,

Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,584,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Regarding uniforms:

NUMEROUS studies have found that children who wear uniforms to schools perform better academically and socially, have fewer discipline problems, and are more achievement oriented than children who do not wear uniforms to school.

When children do not have to compete over who wears what brand, or what is "cool", their minds are freer to focus on academics. Research, data, and first hand experience back this up.

________

And although I cannot discern what the OP's objection to the dress of the public school children is, I will tell you that I think children AND adults should dress to show respect for the environment they are in. If they are dressed nice and neatly and cleanly, then it shows respect for school.

Along the same lines, I am personally irritated every time I attend church and see people in cut off jeans and flip flops. It does not show respect for the event/environment.

I couldn't agree more with all of the above! I have taught in 1 school with a uniform policy and 2 without and I saw less snobbishness and bullying in the schools WITH uniforms than without. As you said, the students were much more academic-oriented at the school where the students wore uniforms. I also agree with you about proper attire at church. I'm not talking about someone who can't afford decent clothes, but about those who seem to pull out their grungiest clothes to wear to the Lord's house. Now, I will admit that there was a time when my son was a teenager, that he would come in jeans, but that was the only way I could get him there and I figured I would rather he go than not. But he quickly outgrew that stage and started dressing nicer for church again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area