Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:59 AM

16 posts, read 43,643 times

Advertisements

My Financee and I are looking into possibly relocating to Charleston and or around Charleston. We currently live in Tallahassee, FL. GO NOLES!!!
I am a Network Engineer/Administrator and currently hold the title of Systems Project Analyst with the local state government. I have several
high level certifications for Cisco and Microsft as well as 5 years experience. My Financee, by the time we leave, will have a double major in Social Science and something to do with Child Psychology and a Masters is General psychology. We're both 28 as of right now. We are looking to move in once she is done with her masters which will be in less than a year. We have a house that is already payed for that we are going to sell and should get around 210 - 230k for it. What I'm really wanting to know is would our career fields work out in Charleston? We're looking to rent for a year until we know the area in order to buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:42 AM
LPI

110 posts, read 366,800 times
In short, there should be employers that you should find interesting.

Blackbaud and Benefitfocus spring to mind, but Charleston area does seem to have a growing digital corridor. They are a number of companies that would required varying levels of security clearance before you could even apply for a position.

MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina) may be worth your financee looking at.

With that said, getting a job could be a different story given the current climate.

With 210 - 240K to spend on a home you should not find any problems depending on what your requirements are.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Lets not forget Google...

Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM

We're also not just looking at the city of Charleston itself, but also the surrounding areas, such as Mount Pleasant.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Not sure on the Psych degrees but they're hiring sys admins at SPAWAR all the time. If you have security+ certification, even better. In addition, you have all of the defense contractors that support SPAWAR, such as SRC, SAIC, Mantech, Modulant, Imagine One, etc.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM

She wants to be an adjunct professor at some point. After he masters she's going for her PHD in General Psychology.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:18 AM

5 posts, read 13,698 times
I have lived in six states along the Eastern US in cities and towns with populations ranging from 9000 to 2 million and I have to say that SC and Charleston especially is the worst. It is a big good ole boy system filled ignorant closed minded people who are extremely conceded. The taxes are high, the roads are horrible, and crime per capita is ridiculous. Having lived in Tallahassee and knowing the traffic is horrible since there is really no where to expand the streets, I still have to say if you move to Charleston you will have a real eye opener. Like most places, and the pictures posted here reflect it, Charleston does have some nice places but what it doesn't reflect is the big problem with downtown flooding during rain or high tide. A lot of the city is impassable and they will not fix it. Also, all the dilapidated buildings and gang graffiti are not shown. Plus, North Charleston up until recently was considered the seventh most dangerous city in the US to live. This was remarkable to me considering how small the area is. I guess that is one of the reasons SC is one of if not the only place that has a sales tax holiday for gun sales. You would be crazy not to own one here. Also, get rid of your nice car or put it in storage and get a beater. The roads will ruin it up here. Oh yeah don't run out of rum or any other liquor at your dinner party after 7 PM or you are out of luck and get used to seeing airline bottles when you order a mixed drink. Plus, don't forget to not play cards with anyone or isk going to jail. Not just gambling but games of chance are illegal. Good luck to you.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 AM

The Minibottle laws were repealed years ago......

Old 11-19-2010, 07:20 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
Which is likely the last time that poster was in SC.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 AM

That was my point......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area