Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 AM

24 posts, read 138,927 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area (Summerville) and my family and I want to see what downtown Charleston has to offer. First of all, I'm not sure how to get there. Can someone tell me how to get there and what is there to see. I've heard about these baskets that slaves used to make and I'm curious to see what these are. They are supposedly made out of a native plant?

Any information is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 12:02 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,551 times
If you have never been to downtown Charleston then I recommend stopping at the visitors center first. It is a very nice building and it will give you loads of information. They have maps, discount tickets and can provide you with any information you need, you can even learn about the sweetgrass baskets. It is almost a tourist attraction in itself and you can park there the first 30 minutes for free. Get on I-26 East and take exit 221-B the Meeting Street Visitors Center exit, take a right at the light. Follow the signs, the visitors center will be on your right. The best way to get to know Charleston is to take a carriage ride (get your tickets at the visitors center it is cheaper). Right now though it is so hot that they might not be working the horses. I can tell you walking around in downtown Charleston in July is brutal so keep cool!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Yeah, I took a day trip to Charleston this past Saturday and did a lot of walking, and the humidity is no joke. I think it's the best way to really experience the city (carriage rides are nice as well), but just make sure you have a small towel and a bottle of water on hand.

I think the baskets are made at the Market, if I'm not mistaken? I forget exactly which road it's on.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:40 PM

153 posts, read 769,463 times
You'll find the basket makers on Market Street, Meeting Street, and East Bay Street which basically surround the Market in downtown. When you go to the Market, you'll notice the center retail area surrounded by one-way streets that make up Market Street. Go through this area and explore the different local shops. You'll find these baskets in and around there.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:55 PM

24 posts, read 138,927 times
Thank you all for the information. I'll make sure to stop at the visitor's center first. As usual, scjj, you're so valuable to this forum. I wouldn't know what to do without you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area