U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1104 View Post
Where exactly is it? I really want to check it out!!! (Sorry if I missed the directions above...) one of the links says "Light Rd & I-26". Did they rename a road because of this?
Beth - found this in one of the forums:

The road is actually called Sheep Island Road. If you are coming from I-26 to Main Street in Summerville you will pass a bunch of stores. You will eventually come to a Jiffy Lube on your right. Take an immediate right turn after the Jiffy Lube which will be Berkeley Circle. Follow Berkeley Circle through a small subdivision and you will pass over the interstate. At this point, Berkeley Circle turns into Sheep Island Road. The paved road will become dirt, woodsy and unlit so you will know you are on "light road."

There are small turnoffs on the road for hunters (and troublemakers) so be careful. The road is 3 miles long with a stop sign at the end. Some people mistake the reflection from the stop sign as the "light." Believe me, you will know "the light" when you see it! When you come to the stop sign I advise you to turn around and go back down the road because the way back to town will be a lot longer if you keep going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 AM

1,708 posts, read 3,606,869 times
I have never heard of any car's being flipping on their sides. This light dates back to when my parents were dating in the 1950's. lol

Old 01-07-2009, 12:24 PM

306 posts, read 673,663 times
Thanks pokrplr! I'll let y'all know how it goes... if I make it back, LOL!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,792,043 times
I'm comin too Beth... always wanted to check it out but never bothered, might head out there this weekend...

Old 01-07-2009, 07:54 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,714,070 times
Me three.....sounds exciting and scary! C-D party on Sheep Island Road?? LOL

Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 PM

1,708 posts, read 3,606,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Me three.....sounds exciting and scary! C-D party on Sheep Island Road?? LOL
Sounds like a plan to me!! lol I will take pics. I have never been but my parents have.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM

99 posts, read 323,717 times
Default Just went to sheep island road today

So I decided to see for myself if a mysterious light would appear on Sheep Island road. I only live 2 miles away, so it was an easy find. It was during the afternoon when I drove there. I definitely got a creepy feeling about being there and wouldn't dare go there at night (I'm not that crazy), but I didn't see anything. I've read that if you wait long enough, like an hour, it will appear, but I didn't feel comfortable waiting around. Also, there is no through street, so it is VERY difficult to turn your car around. If you go, you should park by the new development which you pass on the way there and walk the rest of the way even though it's a long walk. I don't see how two cars can get through on that road. You reach a point where there is a big dirt mound and only bikers and walkers can go further. I'm guessing this is the right road. This is what you'll see if you follow Sheep Island road the whole way straight until you can't go further.

Good luck to all of the brave souls who go there at night!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:07 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,157,340 times
Sheep Island road runs behind the new Best Buy and Target, you can also get there by driving down the road that goes past all of the hotels, I believe this is Holiday drive.

It used to be a big-time 4x4 road before things started to get over developed in that area.

Before the Interstate was built it when all the way to 176, the dirt road on the other side of the Interstate is still there, and I have heard that there are plans to build an overpass and open up that side to development.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:12 PM

88 posts, read 277,122 times
OK, I am waiting for a report

Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 PM

306 posts, read 673,663 times
Okay, just got back and yes, I'm a believer! I was more fascinated than scared. It was mostly an amber color, and seemed as if it was a lantern held by "someone" walking. It gradually came closer, but never came close enough to be "scary". My son and I walked up as far as we could (to the second mound, but was a trench beyond that). He was the first to walk closer on his own, but then ran back to us insisting someone said "stop" in a low voice.?? I want to go back during the day to see if I can get around the trench and go further toward where the light was.
When we got there, we waited in the car for about 10 minutes before it appeared; however, while we waited, a police car pulled up to see what we were doing... I felt kinda silly with the explanation, especially since the first policeman had no clue what I was talking about. When the other walked up, he knew about it. They said 'crackheads' come back there, so they patrol it... I think knowing that goes on was scarier than the potential 'ghost'! The light would disappear and we'd wait for it to show again, hoping it would come close, but never did. The last 30 minutes was with no light... we waited a while past midnight (one of the links mentioned it showing up more at that time), but it didn't for us. I tried to get pictures, but I don't think the light showed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area