U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-16-2010, 04:12 PM

12 posts, read 14,361 times
Default Commuting to MUSC

Hey South Carolinians,

I've gotten a job offer at MUSC, and am curious about the neighbourhoods in and around charleston. My wife and I have a young baby and are would be looking for a property in the 175-250k range. Our priorities are:

A) Safe enough to walk around at night
B) Parks and shops within walking distance
C) Commute to MUSC

Can anyone offer some suggestions? Downtown and Mt. Pleasant seem nice, but I'm really only googling right now... Average commuting times would also be awesome!

Scott
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 04:54 PM

435 posts, read 444,245 times
At your price range, I will recommend James island, West Ashley, or John's island. The area in Mt. Pleasant at 175-250 are too far out and require at least 40 min drives to get into MUSC.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:02 PM

2,512 posts, read 4,697,372 times
Not true. You could end up in lower Mt. Pleasant in that price range, neighborhoods like Chelsea Park, Oakhaven, Mallard Lakes, etc. You'd be 15-20 minutes drive to MUSC, or could even get there by bus. But yes, James Island and West Ashley would have offerings as well. Downtown, not so much.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:59 PM

914 posts, read 1,838,864 times
Look at close in West Ashley- most of the neighborhoods have returned to reality in terms of pricing. James Island is equally close but the nearest neighborhoods tend to be a little pricier and do not have the walkability (or shops/dining) of the West Asley areas within 3-4 stop lights from the bridges. These will be mostly be homes from the 1930s to 1950s/60s.

The more walkable areas of Mt Pleasant are highly desired and priced accordingly.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 AM

Interesting... thanks for the replies. I have three followup questions:

1) Can you give me an idea about the commute to MUSC from West Ashely (say from St. Andrews shopping center on HWY 17 in West Ashley) and James Island (the corner of Folly Road and HWY 30)
2) Any safety concerns with West Ashley or James Island, any spots to avoid
3) Looking at some condos around James Island, I got the sense that some of them might be full of retired people. Are there alot of silver haired people living in that area?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:12 AM

16,623 posts, read 12,950,255 times
you may want to consider renting something that is within walking distance of your classes.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 AM

638 posts, read 778,460 times
"James Island (the corner of Folly Road and HWY 30" ....commute time is 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes max. We commute from near the Wal Mart on Folly Rd to the VA hospital, 15 minutes...

As for the comment about the gray helmets...probably no more on James Island than anywhere else.

As for commuting from Mt Pleasant...personally, I would not. There is only one logical way to get from point A to point B, and even during non commute hours, the traffic can be aggravating on Hiway 17, east of the bridge....I couldn't imaging doing it twice a day, and on a schedule. At least from James Island, there are two routes into downtown. I'm a retired "gray helmet", I may have all the time in the world, but I do not have time to waste.

James Island would be my choice.....providing commute times are a critical issue....if not, maybe John's Island.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-17-2010, 08:28 AM

435 posts, read 444,245 times
Btw, I live two traffic light from the bridge in Mt. Pleasant, it take my 20 minutes exactly to get to MUSC. Anyone tell you anywhere further will take less, they don't drive that route everyday.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:49 AM

Cool. Thanks for all the advice everyone...

Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 AM

291 posts, read 240,548 times
If you are working at MUSC, there is a good chance your commute might be before peak traffic times. If you get on Hwy17 earlier than 6:30a, the commute is a breeze. I live in Park West and work across the James Island Connector. Early morning commute times during the week for me are in the 35 minute range (and that is on James Island, well past MUSC). On weekends I have made it in 25 minutes, but that was a miraculous trip that had zero traffic lights in Mount Pleasant turn red on me. If I go to work around 3 in the afternoon, it will take me around 55 minutes.

On a normal 7am trip, I pass by MUSC at around the 25-30 minute mark. For it to take 20 minutes from the "second light from the bridge" (the Whole Foods intersection) that guy must be traveling at the very peak traffic time.

By the way, I don't speed and set my cruise control in anything other than heavy traffic. The times I speak of are very realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area